Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Teetonetal;1138945" said:
    johnonguitar said:

So I was reading today that actually the fuzz pedals need the correct type of impedance to make them work correctly? As in you need them at the start of your chain as in real life, with the correct input impedance set. Or if set to auto it will change when you bring block one in or out.

That's nuts!!! Surely one of the points of having digital stuff is to get away from the crap bits of having iffy fuzz pedals dictating pedal line up?!

Realism gone mad. I agree, it's nuts. There is no need for this (if true) I think it's actually something that's really holding modelling back, the big boys are trying to recreate real gear to the minutest detail, really they should use their ears more and create better "inspired by" products. But the marketing of modelling seems to be disappearing down a realism rabbit hole. 

I want stuff that sounds good, is usable with dynamic response to players style and guitars, but also takes the annoyance away.
    Digital igloo from another forum:

Your guitar will probably sound the most open and bright at 1M Ohm. However, some vintage pedals' inputs with lower impedances will load your pickups differently. For example, a fuzz face pedal's input impedance is somewhere between 5k and 8k Ohm; if Helix's impedance is left at 1M Ohm, people will say "Oh man, that sounds nothing like my real fuzz face!" For the same reason, real fuzz faces should be the first pedal in your chain.

When Helix's impedance is set to "Auto," it looks at the first block on Path 1A and sets its impedance circuit to match that of the real pedal or amp modeled.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    It'd be nice, then, to have both the ability to set the Helix's input impedance (as you can) but also to simulate a different input impedance to a fuzz block. That would seem to me to represent the best of both worlds.

Also to be able to do that fuzz/wah interaction thing that makes a siren. That'd be cool.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Teetonetal;1138945" said:
    johnonguitar said:

So I was reading today that actually the fuzz pedals need the correct type of impedance to make them work correctly? As in you need them at the start of your chain as in real life, with the correct input impedance set. Or if set to auto it will change when you bring block one in or out.

That's nuts!!! Surely one of the points of having digital stuff is to get away from the crap bits of having iffy fuzz pedals dictating pedal line up?!

Realism gone mad. I agree, it's nuts. There is no need for this (if true) I think it's actually something that's really holding modelling back, the big boys are trying to recreate real gear to the minutest detail, really they should use their ears more and create better "inspired by" products. But the marketing of modelling seems to be disappearing down a realism rabbit hole. 

I want stuff that sounds good, is usable with dynamic response to players style and guitars, but also takes the annoyance away.
    Digital igloo from another forum:

Your guitar will probably sound the most open and bright at 1M Ohm. However, some vintage pedals' inputs with lower impedances will load your pickups differently. For example, a fuzz face pedal's input impedance is somewhere between 5k and 8k Ohm; if Helix's impedance is left at 1M Ohm, people will say "Oh man, that sounds nothing like my real fuzz face!" For the same reason, real fuzz faces should be the first pedal in your chain.

When Helix's impedance is set to "Auto," it looks at the first block on Path 1A and sets its impedance circuit to match that of the real pedal or amp modeled.
    Yeah, I read that earlier - will be testing it out at band practice tonight.....
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited July 2016
    I used to set mine at 220k as the 1meg made everything sound fizzy and tizzy
    Who was the other Line 6 dude that was on another forum saying that he was getting the best results putting a gain block at the start of the chain with a -12db drop or something? Wtf was that all about? :/
    No idea, but it goes to show that beauty is in the ear of the beholder....!

On the EQ subject - can anyone please confirm what the global default EQ values are please...?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    aren't they all at unity?

Cabicular said:
    aren't they all at unity?

You mean the EQ...? If so, how and what values...?

Only asking as I, er, went a bit mental and adjusted some of the values to extremes and cannot remember the default settings!
    I see, If you set all the gain to unity that will effectively zero it but if you have messed around with the parametric then I can't help
    Take care with Global EQ. I only use it on a room by room basis . If I can get away it disabled then so much the better.
    It's very hard to predict what it will do across all your patches :)

If you can't get anyone with a pristine Global then back up your presets and do a factory reset
    take a screenshot of the editor for future ref
    Cabicular said:
    I see, If you set all the gain to unity that will effectively zero it but if you have messed around with the parametric then I can't help
    Take care with Global EQ. I only use it on a room by room basis . If I can get away it disabled then so much the better.
    It's very hard to predict what it will do across all your patches :)

If you can't get anyone with a pristine Global then back up your presets and do a factory reset
    take a screenshot of the editor for future ref
    Yeah, I'm not too fussed about using the global EQ TBH, just be nice to have it back to default. Factory reset will be my next step!
    edited July 2016
    For everyone using it in 4CM.... where do you have the volume knob? I've read that 'unity gain' is to have it maxed out, but others say it doesn't matter....

Personally, I have it at 100% and the return blocks set to -5.0db to avoid the clipping I think I can hear.

EDIT - Woo, 100 pages!
    I don't think 100 % is unity but I'm sorry I don't use 4cm
    In my set up unity is about 2 o'clock
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It may be different in 4 cm
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    FarleyUK said:
    Only asking as I, er, went a bit mental and adjusted some of the values to extremes and cannot remember the default settings!
    I haven't used global EQ, so I'll check this evening and let you know what the settings are on mine. They should be the defaults.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    FarleyUK said:
    I haven't used global EQ, so I'll check this evening and let you know what the settings are on mine. They should be the defaults.
    Awesome, cheers mate!
    By ear unity seems to be around 1.30 for me on the master volume knob

I haven't fucked with any of the loops and don't get any unwanted clipping

Is that using 4CM?
  • I use 4cm and I disable the volume knob completely. when plugged in everything seems to work at unity as standard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:

Is that using 4CM?
    yeah
    I use 4cm and I disable the volume knob completely. when plugged in everything seems to work at unity as standard.
    didnt know you could do that! However i find it handy having a little volume bump handy without touching my amp... pesky drummers