Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• trolleytrolley Frets: 88

Had a go on one yesterday.

And it was quite good - bearing in mind I was using all the presets as supplied through a PA.

The Pull Me Under presets sounded quite close - and very usable. And a quick play with the Harmoniser showed it would be good enough for what I use them for.

So, out with the Roadster, mini amp gizmo & G Major 2?

Quite possibly

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24317
    Anyone got any good EQ settings to emulate an always-on half-cocked wah?

I once had the MXR Q Zone Kerry King pedal for just that but it disappeared. It's probably in a forgotten about box in the loft, but it was excellent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

I once had the MXR Q Zone Kerry King pedal for just that but it disappeared. It's probably in a forgotten about box in the loft, but it was excellent.

Can you not use a Wah model and set it to a fixed position?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    John_A said:

Can you not use a Wah model and set it to a fixed position?
    Well fuck.

It's early. Or late. Or this was a test from the Line 6 product support undercover unit and you have passed!

Congratulations! Your certificate will be on display in the appropriate office in Alpha Centauri.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    My curiosity has got the best of me... My helix arrives tomorrow.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PJHPJH Frets: 25

Hi everyone,

I've finally managed to finish Part 3 in my series on the Line 6 Helix. This video demonstrates in detail how I created the patches for Part 2 in the series.

I've had a lot of requests for a "loud, clean" patch with lots of headroom. I think that I've come up with a patch that should work well in that regard. It works particularly well with single coils. Incidently, the "intro music" that I made for this video was also created using this patch.

I've also shared my settings and thought process in creating my Plexi "crunch" patch. The video shows how well this patch works with humbuckers and single coils without changing any settings.

Lastly I covered the Jazz Rivet patch that I used in Part 2. This is quite a "lush" clean chorused tone that works with Les Paul type guitars as well as single coils.

Cheers

Peter

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    @PJH those are some great sounds. Will have a go at creating the, later...
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    I've just ordered an external expression pedal (because why not). Thinking of using it for pitch / whammy, but curious to know what everyone else uses theirs for?
    FarleyUK said:
    I've just ordered an external expression pedal (because why not). Thinking of using it for pitch / whammy, but curious to know what everyone else uses theirs for?
    Mixing different signal paths to add verbs & delays depending on how much I need at the time; drive levels. Speed on rotary / vibe type FX.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Wet Dry and feedback
    So delay and mod pedal modifications
    I use the onboard for volume boost
    in retrospect I should have done it the other way around and then I could use the exp for wah
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    I've got my external expression set up to control mix for delay. I have a tape delay set to 350ms and an Elephant Man set to 1/8 or dotted. I use one switch to go between them and the expression pedal to control the mix... Heel down being no delay.

If that makes any sense
  • PJHPJH Frets: 25
    Thanks. It'll be interesting to hear about your results.

Cheers.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    PJH said:
    Thanks. It'll be interesting to hear about your results.

Cheers.
    Well, I created the patches last night. It was interesting. Far as I could tell, they sounded exactly the same (as you would expect) and I was really happy with all of them. Got gigs over the weekend, but will try and record something on sunday and post back...
    Wait a minute.... The expression pedal has a toe switch?! Wtf? That's what I get for not reading the manual
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    Indeed. Usually it switches the expression pedal between being EXP1 and EXP2, but you can assign it to other stuff too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky;1134423" said:
    Indeed. Usually it switches the expression pedal between being EXP1 and EXP2, but you can assign it to other stuff too.

Hmm that's pretty cool. I have it setup as a wah just now, and my external expression pedal controlling delay mix. I have two delays setup to toggle between with one footswitch and just use the expression to turn them off in the heel position. Think I'll use my new found toe switch to add a whammy to proceedings!
    How do you do the off-in-heel-position thing? I miss that from the VG-88 and haven't worked out how to do it in the Helix.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    PJH said:

Hi everyone,

I've finally managed to finish Part 3 in my series on the Line 6 Helix. This video demonstrates in detail how I created the patches for Part 2 in the series.

I've had a lot of requests for a "loud, clean" patch with lots of headroom. I think that I've come up with a patch that should work well in that regard. It works particularly well with single coils. Incidently, the "intro music" that I made for this video was also created using this patch.

I've also shared my settings and thought process in creating my Plexi "crunch" patch. The video shows how well this patch works with humbuckers and single coils without changing any settings.

Lastly I covered the Jazz Rivet patch that I used in Part 2. This is quite a "lush" clean chorused tone that works with Les Paul type guitars as well as single coils.

Cheers

Peter

Cracking vid :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    Sporky;1134442" said:
    How do you do the off-in-heel-position thing? I miss that from the VG-88 and haven't worked out how to do it in the Helix.

Mix set to zero lol.
    Can that be a hard switch at heel down then?

I feel proper-thick if it's possible and I couldn't work out how!