Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Dp the V2.0 before anything else.

And read the manual when you do it. There are buttons to push on setting up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited July 2016
    Dp the V2.0 before anything else.

And read the manual when you do it. There are buttons to push on setting up.

Will do, it makes my pedalboard look like a museum piece, just quickly tried some effects in to the front of my amp and they do sound very good indeed, immediate thoughts are OMG I'm down a button   I'm sure I'll work round it

I personally would like to see more drive pedals and an Xotic EP booster, I always turn on my EP (clone) when I use my telecaster and it just does something magical, smooth's out the top end and beefs it up a bit.  I'm sure I could simulate it with an EQ close enough, but you do get used to what you know and an explicit model would be great.

I also don't think the Red Comp is quite as squishy as a real dynacomp or my CS-2, but it's very early days I think the trick may be to just get over what the Helix doesn't do and rejoice all the other stuff it does really well

My main two drives are a Zevex BOR clone for a flubby Plexi tone, and and MI Crunch Box for a hot Rod Marshall tone, not sure any of the drives give me that Ill have to keep looking.

Haven't even tried any of the amp modelling yet

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Go into GLobal settings and you can set it for 10 buttons rather than 8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Go into GLobal settings and you can set it for 10 buttons rather than 8
    Yes, that still leaves me one down.  I'll get over it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Stick the Klon on with a bit of volume and not much gain
    not much use for a footswitch .. Leave it on
    I find the OCD is great especially stacked with a low gain tube screamer
    i have one button that switches them both on and off
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Jesus, that Helix device is GIGANTIC!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Go big or go home
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I'm going home lol!! :D
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited July 2016

price to match!! :lol:

I've just reset my entire lighting rig
    screwed new speakers into the line 6 sub (blew one of the last ones ) programmes all my snapshots
    going to play a biker rally tomorrow so expect it all to go horribly wrong !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    OK, FX8 and real amp user here who had a bit of an eye opener at a gig last night with a band going purely FOH through a GR55 and asides from the convenience factor it sounded great..

Which has therefore got me thinking Helix...mainly because I can get on interest free!!

Is there anyone here using one purely FOH with IEM's and do I need to worry about custom IR's etc for live use?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28223
    Some people find that the custom IRs make a huge difference. I set up an AB patch and once I had the levels the same the difference to me was minor. I'd say it's worth trying, but not necessarily essential.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Paul Hindmarsh does it
    im not ready yet
    satchel from steel panther has switched to using an amplifire live
    i don't bother with custome IRs
    ive tried them but they are more fiddly to deal with and you have less control (Ie you can't change mic)
    A good way to select your cabs and mic is to use the hands free editing 
    that way you can toggle through the cabs and mics while you are playing
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Sporky said:
    Some people find that the custom IRs make a huge difference. I set up an AB patch and once I had the levels the same the difference to me was minor. I'd say it's worth trying, but not necessarily essential.
    I agree. I gave up with IRs and prefer the cabs now.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited July 2016
    I did find that a few third party IR's helped some amp models though not all. There is a big space on my desk where the Helix used to sit, do I miss it ? Sometimes and I'm glad that I had one, it probably is one of the best modelling solutions on the market, trading punches with the Axe-Fx with neither being the clear winner imho. I returned to a quality valve amp and pedal setup ( Toneking Sky King ) and tbh I love it a lot more and it actually makes me want to play . It's great to see that those who had to wait a long time for stock are finally getting them and having the same blast as I did :)
    Well I've spent the last 3 hours trying to recreate my rig, pile of pedals in to a Plexi.  I've played the same setup for ages so I know it very well.  Thought I'd cracked it so rigged up an AB box to do a direct comparison.  Tonally they are VERY similar, but the Helix one sounds better!

tried it pre-preamp in to my amp, post-pre in to a valve power amp, and FRFR and all sound fab!

thats, using one preset and one amp/cab. I've still got a million other options, the Interstate Z and rectifier models sound great.

bearly scratched the surface yet, and I'm blown away, not even looked at the manual ;). It really is that easy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    edited July 2016
    http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn356/johngrant69/F009B2D7-B8E6-4310-AA5C-04185E5B4510.jpg

Tonights office... I'm going direct for the first time with Helix. I hate going direct. This is no different. I suck at it!!

for some weird reason my patch sounded like someone had put a blanket over it. I was expecting to be taking my head off but instead had to global eq the shit out of the top end. I'll never get a hang of this shit!
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    John_A said:
    Well I've spent the last 3 hours trying to recreate my rig, pile of pedals in to a Plexi.  I've played the same setup for ages so I know it very well.  Thought I'd cracked it so rigged up an AB box to do a direct comparison.  Tonally they are VERY similar, but the Helix one sounds better!

tried it pre-preamp in to my amp, post-pre in to a valve power amp, and FRFR and all sound fab!

thats, using one preset and one amp/cab. I've still got a million other options, the Interstate Z and rectifier models sound great.

bearly scratched the surface yet, and I'm blown away, not even looked at the manual ;). It really is that easy

Thats aweosme man, glad you're enjoying it
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28223
    I do like the new Harmonic Tremolo and Harmonic Flanger. And the harmony delay is interesting. And the addition of an external MIDI clock generator has opened up the Reflex considerably. I have a plan for controlling pitch shift with a clock-divided square wave.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited July 2016
    welshboyo said:
    OK, FX8 and real amp user here who had a bit of an eye opener at a gig last night with a band going purely FOH through a GR55 and asides from the convenience factor it sounded great..

Which has therefore got me thinking Helix...mainly because I can get on interest free!!

Is there anyone here using one purely FOH with IEM's and do I need to worry about custom IR's etc for live use?
    I send Helix straight to the PA and use IEMs.  Whether you use IRs or not is really going to be up to you.  I haven't found the need for them personally but I am about as far as you can get from being a tone purist so probably not the right person to ask.  I just dial up something I like and go with it.  I do particularly enjoy not having to load amps and cabs in and out of venues though. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher