Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The balloon animal is a nice colour.
    I was at a wedding and they hired a balloon animal guy. He was amazing.. (I'm easily amused)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nightmare!!

so anyway... Just say that I was possibly considering a no-amp setup... Not that I'm getting rid of my amp... But just for talking sake (I feel like such a sell out wen asking)... And say I was going to get a QSC K series speaker. Would I be better off with two 8 inch ones or a single 12?
    Stereo!
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Yeah to be fair I've never been that blown away with effects since I got rid of my jmp-1 rack setup that was in stereo. Every time I think "yeah but it doesn't sound as good as..." I have to remind myself it's in stereo

but then you get the problem of which speaker do you mic? Obviously less of a problem if I'm going direct anyway. But it'll get summed to mono at the desk anyway, does the initial separation of the effects even help sound wise by that point?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Cabicular said:
    The balloon animal is a nice colour.
    I was at a wedding and they hired a balloon animal guy. He was amazing.. (I'm easily amused)
    I do them as part of my magic shows.

But I stick to fairly easy ones as comedy props.

Phileas Flash is probably the best in the game

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/6267c6_63264986c05448fc9eb10f1c84ea4375.jpg/v1/fill/w_410,h_532,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/6267c6_63264986c05448fc9eb10f1c84ea4375.jpg

http://www.flashballoons.com/

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow doesn't cut it....

Yeah to be fair I've never been that blown away with effects since I got rid of my jmp-1 rack setup that was in stereo. Every time I think "yeah but it doesn't sound as good as..." I have to remind myself it's in stereo

but then you get the problem of which speaker do you mic? Obviously less of a problem if I'm going direct anyway. But it'll get summed to mono at the desk anyway, does the initial separation of the effects even help sound wise by that point?
    I use one of these for the FOH 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adam-Hall-Female-Audio-Cable/dp/B004BR2VNM/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1468240482&sr=8-22&keywords=twin+xlr+3m

S   T    E                                                                                       R     E   O     !!!!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Just been playing around with the snapshots again.... created a snapshot that uses the modded 2204 into my amp, turns off the FX Loop send/return... and it sounds amazing!
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    is the snapshot thing essentially patch changing??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

no its more like scenes... except you can capture parameters too
    Lets say you have a crunchy amp and a high gain amp and a bunch of other FX
    With one button you can disable the crunchy amp, enable the high gain amp, switch off the reverb, switch on the delay, switch on the flanger, drop the mix of the tremelo back 10 points and switch on the tube screamer

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not quite sure how to explain it, but I think of it like this:

You can have 4 patches per bank; within each patch, you can have a multitude of blocks (such as S/R, FX, amps, cabs etc.). Normally, you would have to program each patch to turn more than one block on or off, or change parameters (there is a stompbox mode, but that involves tap-dancing if you wish to turn multiple pedals on / off).

Snapshots allow you to have up to 10 (I believe) saved states of a patch so it instantly switches between them. This allows you to not only have multiple FX blocks on or off, but also to send MIDI commands, and set specific parameters for each FX block per snapshot.

The typical example is that of within a song - Snapshot 1 is intro, 2 is verse, 3 is chorus, 4 is solo, 5 is bridge etc.

Very cool little feature, and the best part is - NO LAG.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Its a feature which means you dont have to patch change (because then the helix has to load every amp again, meaning theres a brief cut out in which your delays dont spill over)

Ever played a videogame with quicksave/load? Its like that. 

If you change level, that new level takes a long time to load. If you quickload where you were a minute ago, that loads much quicker. 

Snapshots mean you can have a bunch of effects set up one way, then quickload it again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What is it about how people in the UK and Europe actually read the update instructions? You guys are so much better than Americans in this regard. Everyone over here ignores them, fails miserably, and instead of going back and actually reading the install steps to see where they may have gone wrong, they'll instantly freak out on Facebook. It's exhausting.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    What is it about how people in the UK and Europe actually read the update instructions? You guys are so much better than Americans in this regard. Everyone over here ignores them, fails miserably, and instead of going back and actually reading the install steps to see where they may have gone wrong, they'll instantly freak out on Facebook. It's exhausting.
    Dude bring it in, group hug!

I remember the good old days when men were men and wouldn't ask for help with something (never mind read the instructions) even if their lives depended on it.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I admit, I always read the instructions and updates - but there are certain things that aren't covered in them (i.e. those chuffin' Bank/Prog MIDI instant commands. Still confusing me), and it's always something that someone else has (usually!) experience of, hence asking so many questions in this thread (and because you guys are awesome at answering).

HIGH FIVE!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    What is it about how people in the UK and Europe actually read the update instructions? You guys are so much better than Americans in this regard. Everyone over here ignores them, fails miserably, and instead of going back and actually reading the install steps to see where they may have gone wrong, they'll instantly freak out on Facebook. It's exhausting.
    You lot are about to vote for Trump.

QED.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What is it about how people in the UK and Europe actually read the update instructions? You guys are so much better than Americans in this regard. Everyone over here ignores them, fails miserably, and instead of going back and actually reading the install steps to see where they may have gone wrong, they'll instantly freak out on Facebook. It's exhausting.
    You lot are about to vote for Trump.

QED.
    And we voted to jump out of the balloon without a parachute hoping the Atlantic Ocean will break our fall. But we can still read instructions. :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeister said: You lot are about to vote for Trump. QED.
    Before this weekend I held out hope that we were smart enough to not do that. Now I'm not so sure. :/
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    We have probably bricked more phones ...
  • fretmeister said: You lot are about to vote for Trump. QED.
    Before this weekend I held out hope that we were smart enough to not do that. Now I'm not so sure. :/
    I still think you guys will be. Also, you have seen what stupidity at the ballot box can do now. Some examples put folk off doing something stupid for the lolz. Fingers crossed.