Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:
    Maybe but it is easier just to plug a wah in.
    I wondered if I could have a footswitch to switch between exp1 and exp2
    No, but if Volume and Wah are both assigned to EXP 1 or EXP 2, a footswith can toggle between them.
    Ahhhh
    so at the moment I use the expression pedal to add +7db to the output block
    if I change that to putting a volume pedal in and then use the footswitch to toggle between volume and wah being active then I'm golden
    unless I want to lift the volume for my wah solo (but there are other ways of doing that)
    :) there is always a way
    Thanks Eric
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

@Cabicular. Can I ask what it is that you don't like about the Helix wah?

Yeah for me the wahs are fine, but I just don't like sharing a wah and a volume pedal on the same controller, and a prefer the crybaby pedal travel.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    sweepy said:
    One thing that always irked me with the Helix was the lack of protection to the alpha rotary encoders directly underneath the display, even the HD500 had chrome bars to stop an errant size 13 foot snapping one off. Had I kept mine I had some Toblerone shaped aluminium blocks made at work to be fixed with double sided tape 
    There's a video somewhere with Dom moving Helix across the back parking lot by kicking those knobs. In the end we were convinced a metal bar was wholly unnecessary.
    Having owned a Helix and knowing how big my feet are and my innate clumsiness, I wouldn't like to kick one tbh. It's a lovely bit bit of kit but that side of it  is very vulnerable imho
  • @Cabicular. Can I ask what it is that you don't like about the Helix wah?

I A/B'd the RMC model with a Cry Baby, a Buddy Guy wah, an AMT wah and an RMC Picture Wah and I thought I was losing my mind as I preferred the model over all apart from the actual RMC but it was neck and neck. Even got the missus to listen and she picked the Helix one as well

I had a little fiddle with the sweep but that's all
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    sweepy said:
    One thing that always irked me with the Helix was the lack of protection to the alpha rotary encoders directly underneath the display, even the HD500 had chrome bars to stop an errant size 13 foot snapping one off. Had I kept mine I had some Toblerone shaped aluminium blocks made at work to be fixed with double sided tape 
    There's a video somewhere with Dom moving Helix across the back parking lot by kicking those knobs. In the end we were convinced a metal bar was wholly unnecessary.
    Got a link @Digital_Igloo  ? Would like to see that! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • gibsongretschfan said:

... and that's why your chimneys will never again be soot-free.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88

I A/B'd the RMC model with a Cry Baby, a Buddy Guy wah, an AMT wah and an RMC Picture Wah and I thought I was losing my mind as I preferred the model over all apart from the actual RMC but it was neck and neck. Even got the missus to listen and she picked the Helix one as well

Interesting. I bought a Mission pedal to use as a wah, but with high gain (say Uberschall) they sound really trebly & tinny. I adjusted the eq a bit but no joy.

I've given up on wah with the Helix for a moment. If anyone's got a wah sound that works with,say, the For the Love of Steve patch, please tell me the settings :)

trolley said:

Interesting. I bought a Mission pedal to use as a wah, but with high gain (say Uberschall) they sound really trebly & tinny. I adjusted the eq a bit but no joy.

I've given up on wah with the Helix for a moment. If anyone's got a wah sound that works with,say, the For the Love of Steve patch, please tell me the settings :)

First thing I'd do there is move it in the chain - can make a big difference 
    Red ones are better. 
    I would adjust the sweep and reduce the mix control to introduce more dry signal into to tone
  • trolley said:

If it's a high gain wah sound your after I'd add about 3db of gain on the wah or in an eq block after. It should thicken things up without causing too much of a volume boost. Bring the hi q down a bit too
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    TimmyO said:
    trolley said:

Where to? I always assumed the wah goes before the amp - tis what I did with 'real' ones
  • @Cabicular sorry to go a bit off topic but what do you think of the Fryette Power Station? Do you rate it as an attenuater? im not sure if it can work like this but can it let the attenuated signal pass or must it be reamped using its own power amp?

For instance could I run an amp, attenuate it with the Fryette and out dry to a cab, then take the attenuated buffered signal into Helix for a wet signal to be amplified into a second cabinet with Helix sending everything FOH via IR's?
    @Cabicular sorry to go a bit off topic but what do you think of the Fryette Power Station? Do you rate it as an attenuater? im not sure if it can work like this but can it let the attenuated signal pass or must it be reamped using its own power amp?

For instance could I run an amp, attenuate it with the Fryette and out dry to a cab, then take the attenuated buffered signal into Helix for a wet signal to be amplified into a second cabinet with Helix sending everything FOH via IR's?
    I guess you could
    It is a very good attenuator (and also adds an FX loop after your amps power section which you would tap into for this, i.e. send the direct out back into the helix). The power amp (as far as I can tell) is used to boost the volume of a smaller amp (reverse attenuation) 
    If you can get to Edin city centre you're welcome to have a shot or a loan of mine

trolley said:
    TimmyO said:
    trolley said:

Where to? I always assumed the wah goes before the amp - tis what I did with 'real' ones
    ... whereas now you can spend 30 seconds trying it in 4 different places in the chain :-) 

Same with volume pedals - I automatically put it "where you would" then realised I may as well use my 'volume pedal' to drop gain, change eq etc to get what I *really* wanted from backing off. 

It's taking me a while to let go of the usual way of doing things but I think that's where this stuff shines
    Red ones are better. 
    Is 5 delays in a single preset overkill? lol.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If they're all on at once, almost certainly yes :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    So my helix control for rack has just been delivered. 
    No PSU in the box. 
    Surely there's meant to be one in there?! 
    I don't have a 3A 9v supply just lying around!!! 
    sgosden said:
    No PSU in the box. 
    doesn't it power from the cable that connects it to the rack?

Or have you done that and it's not working? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24280
    sgosden said:
    No PSU in the box. 
    It's powered from the cable to the Helix!

You only need the other supply if you need a VERY long Cat5 which won't cope over about 25 metres.

@sgosden ;