Wooooooo I'm an idiot 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    forgivable mistake since the socket is there mate
    one less thing to plug in :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    TimmyO said:
    If they're all on at once, almost certainly yes :-) 
    Nonsense! Why have a delay that's not on?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    Just make sure you follow the update for the rack as sometimes you need to turn off the controller 
  • Helix owners, I've tried and loved a Helix in store a month or so back, but I assume it was on old firmware...can anyone confirm if the amp modelling has improved or sounds better in recent FW releases? Or has it just improved other stuff.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    IIRC there was a big jump in overall sound quality in one of the early firmware updates. From what I've seen and heard the shops aren't doing the updates at all.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited May 2017
    Line 6 have said that the models have not been improved, but a lot of people say they have, maybe it's just the default values have been tweaked.  Whatever the case is, it sounds fantastic.

tthey have also added quite a few new models which are excellent
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    John_A said:
    Line 6 have said that the models have not been improved, but a lot of people say they have, maybe it's just the default values have been tweaked. 
    Line 6 repeatedly say they are making improvements to the Base tech.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    Sporky said:
    IIRC there was a big jump in overall sound quality in one of the early firmware updates. From what I've seen and heard the shops aren't doing the updates at all.
    I can imagine that, i suppose it would take quite a while to update everything in stock, not just the Helix, plus some customers like an unopened box.  I'm waiting on the next shipment of LT's, hopefully they have been updated already, but not the end of the world if not.  
  • Cabicular said:
    @Cabicular sorry to go a bit off topic but what do you think of the Fryette Power Station? Do you rate it as an attenuater? im not sure if it can work like this but can it let the attenuated signal pass or must it be reamped using its own power amp?

For instance could I run an amp, attenuate it with the Fryette and out dry to a cab, then take the attenuated buffered signal into Helix for a wet signal to be amplified into a second cabinet with Helix sending everything FOH via IR's?
    I guess you could
    It is a very good attenuator (and also adds an FX loop after your amps power section which you would tap into for this, i.e. send the direct out back into the helix). The power amp (as far as I can tell) is used to boost the volume of a smaller amp (reverse attenuation) 
    If you can get to Edin city centre you're welcome to have a shot or a loan of mine

Ahh so it will work :)

thank you very much for the kind offer but I just stuck an offer in on one on eBay lol

v1 good enough then? Or should I go new and get the v2? (If this one falls through)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    Sporky said:
    I can imagine that, i suppose it would take quite a while to update everything in stock, not just the Helix, plus some customers like an unopened box.  I'm waiting on the next shipment of LT's, hopefully they have been updated already, but not the end of the world if not.  
    I wonder if shops would need a dedicated Retailer Online account to be able to update the firmware without it looking like it was originally owned by someone else.
    Cabicular said:
    @Cabicular sorry to go a bit off topic but what do you think of the Fryette Power Station? Do you rate it as an attenuater? im not sure if it can work like this but can it let the attenuated signal pass or must it be reamped using its own power amp?

For instance could I run an amp, attenuate it with the Fryette and out dry to a cab, then take the attenuated buffered signal into Helix for a wet signal to be amplified into a second cabinet with Helix sending everything FOH via IR's?
    I guess you could
    It is a very good attenuator (and also adds an FX loop after your amps power section which you would tap into for this, i.e. send the direct out back into the helix). The power amp (as far as I can tell) is used to boost the volume of a smaller amp (reverse attenuation) 
    If you can get to Edin city centre you're welcome to have a shot or a loan of mine

Ahh so it will work :)

thank you very much for the kind offer but I just stuck an offer in on one on eBay lol

v1 good enough then? Or should I go new and get the v2? (If this one falls through)
    There is nothing in the V2 that justifies price for me tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cabicular said:
    Ooooo you got a new desk?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Straight out of the box it's not a patch on the Helix I have to say ...

Although there are a lot of great delays ...
  • Digital_IglooDigital_Igloo Frets: 379
    John_A said:
    Line 6 have said that the models have not been improved, but a lot of people say they have, maybe it's just the default values have been tweaked.  Whatever the case is, it sounds fantastic.

tthey have also added quite a few new models which are excellent
    People are hearing a combination of at least four things:
    • Minor tweaks to models and the HX modeling architecture
    • Updated model defaults and presets
    • Every update forces the user to reset their Global Settings, which may have been set sub-optimally before
    • A healthy dose of the placebo effect

Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:

@Cabicular. Very interesting. When you say not a patch (no pun intended) on the Helix... are you referring to amp profiles or effects?

Cabicular said:

@Cabicular. Very interesting. When you say not a patch (no pun intended) on the Helix... are you referring to amp profiles or effects?

I don't really do amp by amp cab by cab comparisons
    all the ones I've seen of that have been of two terrible noises and trying to figure out which one is more accurate

All I've done so far is pick a couple of the stock amp profiles and put some pedals against them and tweaked them to my taste

Got a decent set of sounds
    switched back to the Helix and it was superior in every way

But I've been gigging the Helix for ages now so I have a lot more experience with it

I'all try profiling my amps (that's what I bought it for) and see how that goes
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Would be interesting to profile your favourite Helix patch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom