Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2423
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Cheers all - am I right in saying that if I just sent from the Helix into the FX return and them out from the FX send back to the Helix, that would provide the Jubilee power amp with the preamps from the Helix? But I'd still need frfr...?

Sorry, bit confused!
    There is a lot to un pick here
    much easier if you tell us your desired outcome and then we can tell you how to achieve it

you want to use your Jubillee head pre amp 
    you want to use the Helix FX
    do you also want to use the Helix pre amps
    do you want to use a traditional guitar cab or do you want to be able to emulate other guitar cab types
    do you need to go into a PA at any point 

It'd be a mix of using the Jubilee pre and power amp, and just the Helix for fx, but also to use the Jubilee power amp but with helix preamps as well. Don't need to go to pa, although I have a couple of ts210 speakers I currently use, so if I could incorporate them I guess that would be 'interesting'....!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    FarleyUK said:
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Cheers all - am I right in saying that if I just sent from the Helix into the FX return and them out from the FX send back to the Helix, that would provide the Jubilee power amp with the preamps from the Helix? But I'd still need frfr...?

Sorry, bit confused!
    There is a lot to un pick here
    much easier if you tell us your desired outcome and then we can tell you how to achieve it

you want to use your Jubillee head pre amp 
    you want to use the Helix FX
    do you also want to use the Helix pre amps
    do you want to use a traditional guitar cab or do you want to be able to emulate other guitar cab types
    do you need to go into a PA at any point 

It'd be a mix of using the Jubilee pre and power amp, and just the Helix for fx, but also to use the Jubilee power amp but with helix preamps as well. Don't need to go to pa, although I have a couple of ts210 speakers I currently use, so if I could incorporate them I guess that would be 'interesting'....!
    If set up time was no issue I would set up the jubilee into one of the loops in 4cm
    you can use the fx loops to switch from going into the front and going I. Via the power amps with snapshot and send the whole thing into a dry cab
    i would setup a separate path and use the ts210s as stereo wet FX and experiment with and without cab emulation
    Im pretty sure I could get an amazing tone out of that
    and also equally sure that if I broke it down and set it up again I wouldn't be able to replicate it ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7527
    FarleyUK said:
    Asked this on the L6 forums, but thought I'd put it here as well:

Currently going FrFr, but really miss getting a great Silver Jubilee tone - so I'm potentially looking at picking up either a Marshall CODE or a Mini Jubilee head. What I'd be aiming to do is to get the Jubilee tone and roar, and ideally use the amp cabs etc. from the Helix.

Does anyone know if there's a decent way to get the Jubilee tone from the 2525h and use the Helix cabs at the same time? Or is it just going to be basically a glorified FX unit?

Same question for the CODE - I know it's a modeller itself, and it uses MIDI, but looks like it's USB based MIDI which I'm assuming the Helix cannot do.

Thanks all!

That sounds a bit crazy to me.

Just get it dialled in

Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    FarleyUK said:

Currently going FrFr, but really miss getting a great Silver Jubilee tone - so I'm potentially looking at picking up either a Marshall CODE or a Mini Jubilee head. What I'd be aiming to do is to get the Jubilee tone and roar, and ideally use the amp cabs etc. from the Helix.

Does anyone know if there's a decent way to get the Jubilee tone from the 2525h and use the Helix cabs at the same time? Or is it just going to be basically a glorified FX unit?

Same question for the CODE - I know it's a modeller itself, and it uses MIDI, but looks like it's USB based MIDI which I'm assuming the Helix cannot do.

Thanks all!

Just get it dialled in

Problem with that is that the amp 'controls' are split across an IR, a cab, and a dirt pedal from memory. 
    FarleyUK said:
    TimmyO said:
    FarleyUK said:

Thanks all!

Just get it dialled in

Problem with that is that the amp 'controls' are split across an IR, a cab, and a dirt pedal from memory. 
    Huh?
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    TimmyO said:
    FarleyUK said:

Thanks all!

Just get it dialled in

Huh?
    If you look at the patch, instead of the amp controls being direct in the amp block, because it's a custom patch that Glenn made, the controls for the eq on the amp sound are split across multiple blocks. From memory, he has an EQ block, an OD block, an amp block, an IR block and a cab block all contributing to the simulated Jubilee sound.

If you want to alter the eq, it's a balancing act across all these blocks to get a 'true' representation of the Jubilee with a different eq selected.

I ran this by Glenn and he confirmed - so in my eyes, to get a Jubilee tone that is genuine and one you can alter, you either need a line 6 Jubilee amp block to be made and updated in the Helix - or you use a Jubilee valve amp.
    FarleyUK said:
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    TimmyO said:
    FarleyUK said:

Thanks all!

Just get it dialled in

Huh?
    If you look at the patch, instead of the amp controls being direct in the amp block, because it's a custom patch that Glenn made, the controls for the eq on the amp sound are split across multiple blocks. From memory, he has an EQ block, an OD block, an amp block, an IR block and a cab block all contributing to the simulated Jubilee sound.

If you want to alter the eq, it's a balancing act across all these blocks to get a 'true' representation of the Jubilee with a different eq selected.

I ran this by Glenn and he confirmed - so in my eyes, to get a Jubilee tone that is genuine and one you can alter, you either need a line 6 Jubilee amp block to be made and updated in the Helix - or you use a Jubilee valve amp.
    Gotcha
    although any tone is a combination of the above really..
    has your jubilee for a direct out

edited June 2017
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    TimmyO said:
    FarleyUK said:

Thanks all!

Just get it dialled in

Huh?

Gotcha

Yeah, manual says it does - not got it yet

Thinking I could use that somehow?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm seriously in love with the Helix. Pairing it with the Diezel D-Moll in 4-cable method is just an indestructable rig. And I think yesterday I gave our bassist GAS, coz he's talking about getting an LT now!
  • I used my new pedalboard for a covers gig last night. It sounds tremendous. Really does. However it was a dep gig and the band (shock horror) had their own sound guy. This meant I had my own monitor....

yeah see by the time your listening to your extremely expensive pedalboard plus valve amp coming back at your through a poorly eq'd monitor for a few hours your wondering why on earth you didn't just bring your Helix :'(
    Cabicular said:
    Gotcha

Can anyone clarify how the DI out from the amp would best be utilised with the Helix...?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7527
    The DI out will be just the preamp - so you won't be using any of the power stage's contribution to the sound. 

If you're using that as the input to Helix then you'd ideally still use a modelled power section, and a cabinet model (or speaker cabinet IR if you use those) 

I still think you're nuts though :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    FarleyUK said:
    Cabicular said:
    Gotcha

Can anyone clarify how the DI out from the amp would best be utilised with the Helix...?

It allows you to get the preamp into the Helix without having to attenuate it down (otherwise you need a red box or something in line with the speaker cabinet.
    Bearing in mind the Helix doesn't have power amp only emulations you can still use a fairly neutral sounding clean amp model as a power amp sim for your jubilee 
    or you can do what I do with the Freidman and just watch it straight into a cab model which sounds fine

You have so many options its difficult to narrow them down. If you love the Jubilee as your main tone then you are probably best using the helix as an FX unit and the TS210 as wet speakers or full range for acoustic guitar if you do any of that stuff

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    First rehearsal with the Helix last night.. Ran it through the FX return of a 18w Marshall Clone (Not ideal I know, waiting for my cab to be in stock before ordering).

Patch was a 2204 and it sounded great, but nothing like a 2204 (and I've had plenty), maybe just needs tweaking. 

I did however have 2 minor issues:

1. The volume pedal acted almost like an on-off switch. Almost no difference for 90% of the travel, then almost nothing,
    2. the Wah sounded... well.. shi!t.  I tried a few of the different models and all sounded terrible compared to my old Classic Cry Baby.. Does anyone have any tips for making it sound better?

despite the issues it did sound great.. 
    Si_ said:
    First rehearsal with the Helix last night.. Ran it through the FX return of a 18w Marshall Clone (Not ideal I know, waiting for my cab to be in stock before ordering).

Patch was a 2204 and it sounded great, but nothing like a 2204 (and I've had plenty), maybe just needs tweaking. 

I did however have 2 minor issues:

1. The volume pedal acted almost like an on-off switch. Almost no difference for 90% of the travel, then almost nothing,
    2. the Wah sounded... well.. shi!t.  I tried a few of the different models and all sounded terrible compared to my old Classic Cry Baby.. Does anyone have any tips for making it sound better?

despite the issues it did sound great.. 

Are you using the volume pedal for a full sweep (i.e. 0-100%) Is it set to linear or Log

The wah needs a fair bit of dry signal mixed in and the sweep reduced
    Can't remember the figures off the top of my head but do those two things and Its perfectly useable
  • Went into a local venue today for a couple of hours with my Helix and full PA with the hope of finally sorting some direct sounds for my solo stuff. Faffed around for ages and got OK results by messing with high pass on the cab sims etc, followed all the advice from the forum except I haven't got any professional IRs. Decided to shortcut all of this by just programming amps wth no cab and going into my Two Notes Torpedo Live on my favourite cab sim with 6L6 power amp simulation on. Finally......great natural sounds from all the amp models, Who Watt for clean, Essex 30 for crunch and Marshall 2204 for rock stuff. Huge sigh of relief as I've got a gig on Saturday. I know it's another box to plug into but believe me it saves hours of messing around with cab sims.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @firepaulmusic - as a next step, you could always get the Two Notes IR for the Helix and load it in?
  • @firepaulmusic - as a next step, you could always get the Two Notes IR for the Helix and load it in?
    Sounds interesting, how do I do that? Will it have the power amp simulation, as I reckon this makes all the difference?
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I might have my wires crossed, but with the Two Notes Wall of Sound, you can create and IR. Could this not then be imported into the Helix?
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    edited June 2017
    This vid has appeared today - Guitarist demo. Not enough Hindmarsh playing though.