Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Glad there's an SP in there and the Space Echo should be fun. Seems a strange choice of amps to add but I'll wait until I've had a blast.

Still lacking a MIAB type pedal for guys that play in front of a clean amp though. 
    use the preamp of one of the Marshall models 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited November 2017
    TimmyO said:
    Glad there's an SP in there and the Space Echo should be fun. Seems a strange choice of amps to add but I'll wait until I've had a blast.

Still lacking a MIAB type pedal for guys that play in front of a clean amp though. 
    use the preamp of one of the Marshall models 
    I've tried that and spent a lot of time running comparisons and still can't get close to the sound of my MIAB pedal which is an Angry Charlie.

Edit 1: Actually perhaps I should hold off with that comment until I do the update. I see there's an EP booster now. 

Update: I've tried the EP booster now. It gives a nice woody crunch but not enough distortion to approach what I get from my Angry Charlie.
    It's not a competition.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Liking the new HX Edit with its backup feature... makes updating a bit less fraught.

The Trainwreck and Cartographer sound great. The latter might be the most touch responsive model in there so far.
    Really ought to go and do some work now...
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Looks like all my patches are going to get Kinky! Xotic EP and SP are my 2 favourite always on pedals - the only ones I miss!

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    The kinkys are really good actually already added the boost one in bright mode to the front of my chain.

Cosmo Echo is also a thing of beauty...

The update itself was a piece of piss too, best yet especially with the backup pieces for IR and global.

One thing to note though (well at least for me) the headphone out designation (I have it set to XLR for monitoring 4CM through a Bose soundlink in the house) and the main large volume knob both defaulted and didn't save my global settings - had a slight moment when I thought my amp's loop was borked!!

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Nothing there really interesting.. have we not seen enough Plexi stuff now.. how about a Friedman instead..
  • Si_ said:
    Nothing there really interesting.. have we not seen enough Plexi stuff now.. how about a Friedman instead..
    Looks like a cracking update to me.. I'm really happy to see some line 6 original stuff in there too. 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Was hoping they'd make the harmoniser worthwhile. Line 6 ....have a word with Boss...its Ok!!
  • Everyone seems to have a massive stauner for Friedman these days. Aren't they just jumped plexi's with extra gain anyway?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited November 2017
    Everyone seems to have a massive stauner for Friedman these days. Aren't they just jumped plexi's with extra gain anyway?

A Friedman is pretty much a Marshall anyway, the JCM800 and MOD models will get you more than close enough
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    John_A said:
    Everyone seems to have a massive stauner for Friedman these days. Aren't they just jumped plexi's with extra gain anyway?

A Friedman is pretty much a Marshall anyway, the JCM800 and MOD models will get you more than close enough
    Hmmm I’m not sure of that
    the Friedman BE100 is a particular voicing and gain structure that is unique to that
    to be 100% honest I prefer the sound of the PT20 recorded
    less scooped
    you can get close with the models above but you need the ocd in as well
    Cabicular said:
    John_A said:

the Friedman BE100 is a particular voicing and gain structure that is unique to that
    less scooped
    Interesting - I'll admit I only plated a BE once, it's not something I'm very familiar with, but it did sound like a hot-rodded Marshall to me
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    John_A said:
    Cabicular said:
    John_A said:

less scooped
    Interesting - I'll admit I only plated a BE once, it's not something I'm very familiar with, but it did sound like a hot-rodded Marshall to me
    I’ve had one for a few years and a PT. I can get where you are coming from that’s what I thought before I bought one!
    You pretty much have to max the mid control take off a lot of low end to hear it over a drummer (in a meaningful way.. you can always brute force it but it is overwhelming like that)
    Also I was surprised at how ‘not loud’ it is
    My main amp back in the day was a late 60s 100w superbass Marshall. It was fucking terrifying cranked up but the BE is a bit of a pussycat in comparison. Although the superbass was essentially a non master volume clean amp which I stuck a real tube pedal in front of

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Just checked my Helix since I bought it a couple weeks ago & it’s currently on Firmware Version 2.12.2.

Just noticed that for the 2.30 update it says in orange text to IMPORTANT! You MUST be running Helix firmware 2.20 or higher to use full state backup and restore!

So should I update to 2.20 first, then update to 2.30?
  • duotone said:
    Just checked my Helix since I bought it a couple weeks ago & it’s currently on Firmware Version 2.12.2.

Just noticed that for the 2.30 update it says in orange text to IMPORTANT! You MUST be running Helix firmware 2.20 or higher to use full state backup and restore!

So should I update to 2.20 first, then update to 2.30?
    The instructions for your situation are in the blue text at the link below:

http://line6.com/support/topic/18284-latest-helix-firmware-221—april-27-2017/

It's not a competition.
    TimmyO said:

New Amps (7)

• Voltage Queen, based on* the Victoria® Electro King
    • Derailed Ingrid, based on* the Trainwreck Circuits® Express
    • Brit Trem Nrm, based on* the normal channel of the Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50
    • Brit Trem Brt, based on* the bright channel of the Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50
    • Brit Trem Jump, based on* the normal and bright channel (jumped) of the Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50
    • Cartographer, based on* the Ben Adrian Cartographer
    • Agua 51, based on* the Aguilar® DB751 bass amp

New Effects (7)

• Distortion > Kinky Boost (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Xotic® EP Booster
    • Distortion > Thrifter Fuzz (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
    • Dynamics > Kinky Comp (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Xotic® SP Compressor
    • Modulation > Bleat Chop Trem (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Lightfoot Labs© Goatkeeper
    • Modulation > Double Take (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original doubler
    • Delay > Cosmos Echo (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Roland® RE-201 Space Echo
    • Volume/Pan > Stereo Width (Stereo), Line 6 Original utility to collapse stereo paths
    That's a lot of stuff essentially for free, I love this Helix :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not to be negative, but seeing some of those updates makes me cynical about how much of those are user needs and how many are staff needs? Were some of those amps/FX voted for by the community or were they just decided on? 

Again, I must sound like a prick asking, but I'm always curious as to how much a company listens to their user base, it's my job as a designer.

As a Fractal user, I've not used it long enough to see a great deal of evidence of them listening to their user base either, so I'm not being biased. Although, the recent Darkglass update felt like a positive thing amongst the community and has been requested many times.

Just seeing something like the Goatkeeper, which I've never heard of (doesn't mean it's not popular), made me curiously cynical...sorry!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Not to be negative, but seeing some of those updates makes me cynical about how much of those are user needs and how many are staff needs? Were some of those amps/FX voted for by the community or were they just decided on? 

Again, I must sound like a prick asking, but I'm always curious as to how much a company listens to their user base, it's my job as a designer.

As a Fractal user, I've not used it long enough to see a great deal of evidence of them listening to their user base either, so I'm not being biased. Although, the recent Darkglass update felt like a positive thing amongst the community and has been requested many times.

Just seeing something like the Goatkeeper, which I've never heard of (doesn't mean it's not popular), made me curiously cynical...sorry!
    GET OUT

;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha! 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922