Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Not to be negative, but seeing some of those updates makes me cynical about how much of those are user needs and how many are staff needs? Were some of those amps/FX voted for by the community or were they just decided on? 

Again, I must sound like a prick asking, but I'm always curious as to how much a company listens to their user base, it's my job as a designer.

As a Fractal user, I've not used it long enough to see a great deal of evidence of them listening to their user base either, so I'm not being biased. Although, the recent Darkglass update felt like a positive thing amongst the community and has been requested many times.

Just seeing something like the Goatkeeper, which I've never heard of (doesn't mean it's not popular), made me curiously cynical...sorry!
    There is so much stuff on the helix that would hit a huge majority of users, that I think it's awesome we get some unknown stuff too. It brings some thing new to the table and helps differentiate against the competition. most of that update is bog standrd stuff, so one or two unusual things is welcome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I think it looks like a good update.

I mean I get your point but Plexis and Xotic effects are pretty mainstream additions. The other stuff looks cool too. The rate of updates looks fine to me plus it’s free unlike with previous product model packs
  • Absolutely agree, it's nice to have some fun unknown stuff.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Woohoo!!! Nice update. Still can't wait for the new reverbs in January though. 
    Good to see they've smoothed out the update procedure to remove the faff!

Oh does that mean I can update without having to reinsall all my Fremen patches and IR's? :)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    siraxeman said:
    Woohoo!!! Nice update. Still can't wait for the new reverbs in January though. 
    Good to see they've smoothed out the update procedure to remove the faff!

Oh does that mean I can update without having to reinsall all my Fremen patches and IR's? :)
    Yes. Plus no more having to redo your global settings having just had to reset them.
    Superb...I'll do the update this evening. Still....what about a decent harmoniser Line 6?? You know it makes sense Line 6!!!
  • siraxeman said:
    Superb...I'll do the update this evening. Still....what about a decent harmoniser Line 6?? You know it makes sense Line 6!!!

Yeah, I'm still planning to use my POG2 in a loop until they come up with with something as good. Fortunately, it's MIDI-equipped so I can change POG2 preset when I change Helix preset. :)

R.
  • The Double take is cool.  The Cosmos sounds great too.

Methinks I must need to update the editor as the firmware update is now done...all my patches still there but the new stuff isn' showing in the editor...but it' definately in the Helix....
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    @siraxeman ;

Just keep in mind my observations about the restore and the whole volume knob gig - caught me out - not sure if it was just a glitch my end or whether its something missing from HX-Edit
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    siraxeman said:
    Methinks I must need to update the editor as the firmware update is now done...all my patches still there but the new stuff isn' showing in the editor...but it' definately in the Helix....
    @siraxeman ; Same issue my end as well
  • If you follow all the instructions the update works perfectly.
  • Not to be negative, but seeing some of those updates makes me cynical about how much of those are user needs and how many are staff needs? Were some of those amps/FX voted for by the community or were they just decided on? 

Again, I must sound like a prick asking, but I'm always curious as to how much a company listens to their user base, it's my job as a designer.

As a Fractal user, I've not used it long enough to see a great deal of evidence of them listening to their user base either, so I'm not being biased. Although, the recent Darkglass update felt like a positive thing amongst the community and has been requested many times.

Just seeing something like the Goatkeeper, which I've never heard of (doesn't mean it's not popular), made me curiously cynical...sorry!
    If we're predictable, we've failed.

Yes, user requests always have the biggest impact on what we do, but unless we happen to tick the boxes of one person's personal wish list, they might feel we're not listening to them.

There's more to it than requests tho', too. We'll typically gravitate toward models and features that don't already exist in other modelers; that is the "let's watch yet another Helix model X vs. Kemper profile X vs. Fractal model X" thing gets really old. Also, demands for a particular amp simply because of its street cred will typically manifest the ol' side-eye—we'd much rather understand an amp's mojo and improve upon it with something original instead of following trends.

That said, Helix itself fulfilled 165 IdeaScale requests upon launch. With updates, it's probably closer to 200 by now.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

If we're predictable, we've failed.

Yes, user requests always have the biggest impact on what we do, but unless we happen to tick the boxes of one person's personal wish list, they might feel we're not listening to them.

There's more to it than requests tho', too. We'll typically gravitate toward models and features that don't already exist in other modelers; that is the "let's watch yet another Helix model X vs. Kemper profile X vs. Fractal model X" thing gets really old. Also, demands for a particular amp simply because of its street cred will typically manifest the ol' side-eye—we'd much rather understand an amp's mojo and improve upon it with something original instead of following trends.

That said, Helix itself fulfilled 165 IdeaScale requests upon launch. With updates, it's probably closer to 200 by now.
    Superb response, thank you. Was hoping you’d respond and I hope you didn’t think I was baiting you, I wasn’t. I’m genuinely keen to learn how businesses approach this fine line, as I said, I do this for a living and am interested in it. Keep up the cracking work.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:
    siraxeman said:
    @siraxeman ; Same issue my end as well

I've sorted it now...I wasn't using that Helix Edit....I was using the 2.21 version of it....but still didn't need to back anything up - all the Fremen patches and some of my own tweaks are still exactly where they was before the firmware update. So happy days....I think. :o
  • Much better looking editor, and a doddle to update. That's a huge improvement. 

Also, I really love the Cosmos delay. Brilliant. 

edited November 2017

I found all the listed updated models....except I seem to be missing agua 51 ???? I've scrolled up and down the amp list and can't see it anywhere?

<edit> scrub that found it....tis a bass amp.I was looking in guitar amps cos who cares about bass? ;) 

• siraxeman said:

I found all the listed updated models....except I seem to be missing agua 51 ???? I've scrolled up and down the amp list and can't see it anywhere?

<edit> scrub that found it....tis a bass amp.I was looking in guitar amps cos who cares about bass? ;) 

Line 6 apparently
  • Fab update. The Marshall models are the first ones that I've liked. The Cartographer is really good. Loads of sounds in there. Reminds me a bit of the Fender Supersonic 22 I had. The space echo seems a lot of fun too as does the term. Really nice that line 6 have moved away from the same old same old and giving us some interesting sounds to play with. Great job @Digital_Igloo and team
  • The Marshall and Trainwreck are really nice. Might use the Marshall for some recording but I was already happy with my sound anyway.

i think the original Plexi has changed a little too. Seems to be less gain in the default position or something. Maybe I'm wrong.

Space Echo sounds great, too much for me but looking forward to see and hear what you delay guys make of it