Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited October 2015

Bit disappointing that Line 6 don't appear to have commented much on the lock ups (unless I've missed something... I've only seen Ross's comment here... but nothing on TGP).

It's really important to understand that comments on TGP (or SevenString or The Fretboard) do not mean an issue's been reported. We're working on potential fixes right now—should have 1.03 live sometime next week—but the fastest way BY FAR to get things fixed is to contact customer service and open a ticket. That way, we get the full picture and can track potential issues directly instead of Googling all day and asking "Hmm... I wonder what OS he/she's on... I wonder what video card they have..."

Line 6 isn't nearly big enough to hire an army of people to read every forum and copy/paste posts to QA and CS.

Yes - fully agree that opening a ticket is the best way to inform Line 6 about potential issues... and it's hard for the company to keep abreast of all comments on all fora. In addition, I know the usual level of communication from you and others at Line 6 is very good - and well appreciated.  I will just add that several reports of 'issues' have been posted on at least one forum that Line 6 staff appear to be active on... and although L 6 staff have responded to many comments before and after those reports, I've not noticed any replies to any of the lock-up issue comments (unless I've missed some)... so it did kinda look like those comments were being ignored.

Good to hear you're working on fixes (we all expected you were... but it's great to get confirmation... and a break in the radio silence).

You have my sympathy, I've worked in electronics manufacturing. Life can be complex... especially when trying to work out whether it's 'finger trouble' on the part of the user... or incompatibilities with external hardware... or a genuine issue.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    Digital_Igloo;825270" said:
    Strat_a_tat_tat said:

Bit disappointing that Line 6 don't appear to have commented much on the lock ups (unless I've missed something... I've only seen Ross's comment here... but nothing on TGP).

It's really important to understand that comments on TGP (or SevenString or The Fretboard) do not mean an issue's been reported. We're working on potential fixes right now—should have 1.03 live sometime next week—but the fastest way BY FAR to get things fixed is to contact customer service and open a ticket. That way, we get the full picture and can track potential issues directly instead of Googling all day and asking "Hmm... I wonder what OS he/she's on... I wonder what video card they have..."

Line 6 isn't nearly big enough to hire an army of people to read every forum and copy/paste posts to QA and CS.
    Totally get that. People complaining but not logging tickets is just daft.

Genuinely hope you get to the bottom of it as the product does look great.
  • It's here!!!!

Well, at home. My wife was in to collect, I've already been told off for the size of the box... I'd best get some flowers on the way home this eve! :D

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    what does she think of the delay overspills ? did it lock up on the drive ? :D

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7855

It's here!!!!

Well, at home. My wife was in to collect, I've already been told off for the size of the box... I'd best get some flowers on the way home this eve! :D

you could have commented on the size of her box, but then you might have to buy a lot more than flowers. . .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pft, I always comment on it.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4189
    edited October 2015

Sooo.... it's quite good.

Barely tested the waters with it last night, I was working on a friends guitar and a case of wine at the same time so we mostly flicked through some presets and did some minor tweaking. However, I have tonight to myself so I'll report back with more details later.

There are a couple of (very minor!) functions which aren't as intuitive as I'd like, but so far I've not looked at a manual and it's pretty straightforward to setup chains, multiple signal paths/amps/outputs, move/copy/clear blocks, and all of the things you'd want to do.

What I can say with conviction already is, the Essex A(C)15 is particularly beautiful. I dialled in an AC15 and a Shiva on a L/R split (75% each side) and it was bloody amazing before I tweaked any of the default settings for either amp.

*edit* Running two guitars at once into separate rigs through it is a piece of p*ss to setup as well, and very fun.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9622
    @guitargeek - are you running it through an amp ?
  • Nope, purposefully got rid of mine in advance! I'm playing through two Yamaha HS7 studio monitors.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    geezer from Germany demoing his HELIX that arrived yesterday: 

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited October 2015
    Went to the Paul Hindmarsh Helix demo at Guitar Guitar in Epsom this morning.  What a very nice chap he is btw. 

Had a play around with Helix for about an hour and spent another hour listening to other guys playing through it.  I'll admit that I'm not a tone purist but I was very impressed with the sounds it made. Takes a couple of minutes to familiarise yourself with the UI but after that setting up rigs, dialling stuff in and tweaking settings is ridiculously easy. 

A couple of minor things I noticed.  The edit knobs/joystick don't look to me to be quite as robust as the rest of it so I guess time will tell how they fare although to be fair there was no hint of any problem with their operation on Paul's demo unit (which has done a lot of miles in recent weeks).  I suspect the screen and scribble strips might be hard to see where there is a high level of ambient light - say an outdoor stage in daylight.  The variax interface is still a bit buggy but fixes are coming.

On the plus side, I've seen a report elsewhere that the lockup issue has been tracked down and a fix is in the works :)

Overall a very impressive bit of kit imo and fwiw I'm in.  If they'd had any stock then I would have bought one there and then.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Take the test ... I got 3/5

#thebatesmotelband
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    BGG said:

I got 5/5. Not sure it wasn't just good luck ;)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    3 / 5 got the gain sounds right and the clean sounds wrong.

I just picked which sound I preferred - so this test probably means that helix isn't for me as I don't like it's gains? 

what is interesting is that there are clear differences between the clips. I don't think any of them sound bad but some did appeal to me more.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I also got 3/5. But to be honest, even if I'd got 5/5 I don't think it'd have turned me off the concept, because all 10 clips sounded pretty useable to me in various contexts.
  • Where does the B sample live? It would offer me the A sample than ask which was which.
  • YES!! Mine has arrived in store - going to collect it now. That's my weekend sorted :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    BGG said:

I got 2/5. lol.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    I got 4/5, on the basis that I chose the worse sounding of the two!. I mean why would you set yourself up to fail? so of course Line 6 make theirs sound better......

Cynical? me??
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I got 3/5 as well.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!