Smooth Hound Innovations - Classic Wireless Guitar System

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• Had the first gig with mine on Saturday, following a trial at rehearsal the week before. Works great. 

I'm using it with the micro suction tape, only issue is when I try to remove the unit from the guitar the hold the tape has is so strong it pulls the battery door off, so I'm worried I'll end up damaging the plastic clip that keeps the battery door closed. That's on a PRS Cu22, and it's only about half the square of the tape that's actually making contact with the guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'm 5 gigs in with mine now and it's worked flawlessly, and it's still on the original set of batteries. So impressed are we, the other guitar and bass player have both ordered a set too!
  • Thanks for the feedback guys.
    rsvmark said:
    1 question though. In sound check the transmitter turned itself off. I haven't reset from factory settings so the sleep mode doo hicky wasn't active. To be fair the transmitter was in my back pocket so it easily could have been my fat Arse in jeans just putting pressure on the on/off button? Lesson learned though and I hooked it over my belt and job jobbed.
    Have't had any other reports of unexpected power down so I'm tempted to put your experience down to 'transmitter-in-pocket' syndrome - undesirable due to the possibility of transmitter power down and aforementioned Arse being very good at absorbing radio waves - better to give your transmitter some air.
    I'm using it with the micro suction tape, only issue is when I try to remove the unit from the guitar the hold the tape has is so strong it pulls the battery door off, so I'm worried I'll end up damaging the plastic clip that keeps the battery door closed. That's on a PRS Cu22, and it's only about half the square of the tape that's actually making contact with the guitar. 
    The microsuction tape grips too well as often as it doesn't grip well enough! I find with my glossy finish strat that gripping the battery door while I pull it off the instrument works well. Don't worry though, the battery door is pretty tough, and if you do damage it, we'll replace it for you.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Parker said:
    I've had mine for a few months now (since November) and have done several gigs. Still great overall and recommended. Couple of minor points. Aerial snapped off plastic base after slipping off wah (bad placement on my part). Have used a safety pin to re-secure it, but metal pins (not the platic ones) would be more robust for giggers. 

The batteries also drain quite quickly I find. Guess that's the nature of the wireless beast though. I just have to keep reminding myself to buy spares and keep them near the board. 
    I'd be very happy to replace your damaged antenna for you. PM me if you'd like that doing.

As John_P says, your comment about battery life is very unusual. Most people are very pleased with how long they last. I did have one customer say it didn't meet the 15 hour but it turned out that he was using zinc oxide batteries which are a little over half the capacity of alkalines. We've had very good feedback on using rechargeables (NiMH) too - you should get over ten hours per charge from a regular set of these but some people have reported getting more like 14 hours.
    Thanks mate - only just seen this. That's kind. I may pop it across to you in a couple of months when the season dies down if thats ok? To be honest, it was my Size 11 that knocked it, so don't see it as your problem to fix. 

I'll take a look at the batteries i'm using. 
  • SmoothHoundUKSmoothHoundUK Frets: 21
    edited October 2016
    Only two days left to enter the Guitar and Bass Magazine's competition to win a FREE Classic wireless. You only need to like the Smooth Hound FB page or retweet this tweet to enter!

In other news, I made a video from various clips of people using the wireless on stage. Took me ages! You can see the results on our website or on Youtube here.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    I see Jim Kirkpatrick from the mighty FM is using one now and says it is the best wireless he's ever used.  No small praise from a top pro in a VERY good touring band.
  • Wireless on the telly! I'm sure you're all massive strictly fans so will have seen this already but in case you missed it, skip to 25:30 (this is recommended) to see Shalamar featuring Otto Williams playing his phat, funky bass through the our wireless kit :)
    Striclty - It Takes Two Series 14 Episode 39
  • I missed Strictly this week, just saw the results show. Some great musicians on there, I'm sure they choose what they feel is the best and most reliable kit so that's a good endorsement.
    The previous week, IIRC, they did a Rod Y Gab thing - bloody hard thing to learn at short notice and play on live TV. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ok, I managed to pick up one of these from a forumite. Heres my real world experiences: 

Sound: 
    Can not fault it. No drop outs (bar on venue but the bass player has a Line 6 which he had issues with so thats venue specific) 
    Distance: 
    Not gone too far but allows me to do off stage sound checks so Im more than happy
    Batteries: 
    all good in the hood, not romping through them but done 4 gigs with them and so far, still strong

Issues: 
    So, here are my gripes and I hope @SmoothHoundUK could help 
    Power supply lead comes out of the top and most of our extension cables are four in a square meaning we loose a socket. Not cool 
    The bug transmitter is fine when in my Ibanez S line/Fender strat but looks fuglie so I have bought the adapter as suggested and I have a cable. Now the real problem is finding something very secure to put it on and attach it to my strap. We are a very active band so dont want it in my pocket really (and normal patch cables are too thick.. could @RobDavies suggest a cable or make one I wonder? 
    The reciever is REALLLY small.. which is great! Just means Ive had to make a board now.. oh the hard ships ;) 

Otherwise, these are great!!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Jetfire said:
     We are a very active band so dont want it in my pocket really (and normal patch cables are too thick.. could @RobDavies suggest a cable or make one I wonder? 
    The reciever is REALLLY small.. which is great! Just means Ive had to make a board now.. oh the hard ships  

Otherwise, these are great!!
    Not entirely sure what you're after.... but will be happy to give it a go, whatever it is!
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Bumping this old, old thread because I have a question: I’m struggling to find info anywhere on the dimensions of the wireless receiver - to see if I would have space on my pedal board for it.

Please can anyone point me to this information? Thanks.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    7.5cm wide by 11cm

Don't forget the jack on the front and the power on the rear.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Thanks!