Chernobyl - NOW WITH PICS!!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
edited July 2015 in Off Topic
I was in it yesterday. And I'm not radioactive. Pics to follow! I have 40GB of them so might take a while...
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3327
    wow! If I won lottery, it would be top3 of my travel destinations!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    YOU LUCKY FUCKING SOD

Chernobyl and Pripyat are my current dream holiday destination. colour me thoroughly jelous!  
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    'Awibble'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    ^^^funny that...
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I was in it yesterday. And I'm not radioactive. Pics to follow! I have 40GB of them so might take a while...
    Hope they're digital and not on film. Otherwise they'll be well fogged by now.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Splendid!

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited July 2015

Why the fuck would you willingly want to go to Chernobyl?  There is nothing there and I imagine the midges would drive you nuts.

I could have got you a tour of the decommissioned plant at Fawley if you were interested.  Probably much the same less the radiation.

And isn't Chernobyl still inside a country that is actively in the state of civil war?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar said:

Why the fuck would you willingly want to go to Chernobyl?  There is nothing there and I imagine the midges would drive you nuts.

I could have got you a tour of the decommissioned plant at Fawley if you were interested.  Probably much the same less the radiation.

And isn't Chernobyl still inside a country that is actively in the state of civil war?

You never wondered what it would be like to be in a post apocalyptic zombie movie? 
    'Awibble'
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015
    I gave you a wow, but to honest, I've seen better.  It does look a bit rundown.  What was the Ferris Wheel like?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It never ran, the fairground was due to open about 2 days after the disaster happened. Not a single ride has ever been touched.
    'Awibble'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015
    So you went all that way and didn't even get to ride the ferris wheel?  Damn, I though Alton Towers was bad enough, you must really have felt cheated.  I bet they never told you that when you left eh.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Absolutely great idea.

Why willingly go to Chernobyl? Why the fuck not?? Its not all Ibiza and Butlins ;)

Winning lottery to go there?
    Mate - just do a little research and go there - east Europe is easily accessible and (if you're british) not expensive to travel around.

Wanted to comment on "war" too but ...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Why go?

Because it's fascinating! I live in the UAE so can go to a 5-star hotel and sit on the beach any day I want. It's dull.

The Ukrainian currency is quite low at the moment, so a visit to Kiev is very cheap at the moment, and Chernobyl is just up the road.

In terms of safety they give you a Geiger counter so you can what dose you're getting- it's about the same as a long-haul flight as long as you don't wander off.

Chernobyl, and Pripyat in particular, is a powerful reminder of nature. The trees don't care about the radiation, and the whole place is a forest with buildings dotted through it. And it's one of very few examples of somewhere humans once inhabited in large numbers and then all just left.

It's the perfect time to go at the moment too- the new safe confinement "arch" is almost complete so the old sarcophagus won't be visible for much longer, and the old (and HUGE) ICBM-tracking radar station down the road is to be dismantled over the next couple of years.

As for the Ferris wheel, it did run briefly for a few days before the accident, but the official opening was due a couple of days after the evacuation, so it was never "officially" open.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I remember the accident like it was yesterday, I'm guessing a lot of others do too. Must be weird seeing the whole deserted, and now over grown city like that.

Must be really eerie. Isn't the hospital, and possibly other buildings, reportedly haunted?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    i feel like i`ve been there, the "call of duty" section set in that fairground and through the tower blocks there is awesome.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Fascinating, pics will be good, look forward to that. I bet it was very very weird.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Looking forward to the photos Mike.

I'd love to go, sure looks like a fascinating place,
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Come on, Sticky! Don't keep us in suspense!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I'm in Kiev airport without my laptop. First pics will happen tomorrow evening, hopefully...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Who hasn't wished they had webbed hands?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom