Chernobyl - NOW WITH PICS!!

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30930
    There's a slow reaction to this thread.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32 said:
    Sambostar said:

Why the would you willingly want to go to Chernobyl?  There is nothing there and I imagine the midges would drive you nuts.

I could have got you a tour of the decommissioned plant at Fawley if you were interested.  Probably much the same less the radiation.

And isn't Chernobyl still inside a country that is actively in the state of civil war?

You never wondered what it would be like to be in a post apocalyptic zombie movie? 
    Hmmmm, looks like Butlins.

But posher.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    I had a friend that went; he came back with super powers...
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Sibelius said:
    I had a friend that went; he came back with super powers...
    and I bet he glowed in the dark
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Why go?

Because it's fascinating! I live in the UAE so can go to a 5-star hotel and sit on the beach any day I want. It's dull.

The Ukrainian currency is quite low at the moment, so a visit to Kiev is very cheap at the moment, and Chernobyl is just up the road.

In terms of safety they give you a Geiger counter so you can what dose you're getting- it's about the same as a long-haul flight as long as you don't wander off.

Chernobyl, and Pripyat in particular, is a powerful reminder of nature. The trees don't care about the radiation, and the whole place is a forest with buildings dotted through it. And it's one of very few examples of somewhere humans once inhabited in large numbers and then all just left.

It's the perfect time to go at the moment too- the new safe confinement "arch" is almost complete so the old sarcophagus won't be visible for much longer, and the old (and HUGE) ICBM-tracking radar station down the road is to be dismantled over the next couple of years.

As for the Ferris wheel, it did run briefly for a few days before the accident, but the official opening was due a couple of days after the evacuation, so it was never "officially" open.
    Run for your life @ICBM
    Stop crying, start buying
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Funny how Chernobyl is now a holiday destination and the citizens of Hiroshima built a lovely park to take the children to on Sunday afternoons, located at ground zero.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22204
    I was in it yesterday. And I'm not radioactive. Pics to follow! I have 40GB of them so might take a while...
    I'm a fool. I assumed Chernobyl was some kind of London hipster eaterie. 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24389
    I'd rather not take the risk personally.  Everyone knows what exposure to radiation causes - and - regardless of what 'they' say is a 'safe' level, surely not going to an irradiated area out of curiosity would be the sensible thing to do.  There are countless HD videos of the place - I'll accept the loss of that "being there" feeling in exchange for not risking my health.

Yeah... I know 'they' say it's all within acceptable limits etc, blah blah blah....  but you can't come up with a fixed limit that applies to everyone - e.g. below x mS you're 100% safe, above that value all bets are off.  That's not how nature works.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited July 2015
    I wouldn't worry, you're far more likely to die from other causes well before the radiation gets you.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24389
    Yeah...  fucking boredom, going to a deserted Russian shithole for a holiday !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    pics or it never happened

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

and I bet he glowed in the dark
    Saves a fortune on his leccy bill.
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27135
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'd rather not take the risk personally.  Everyone knows what exposure to radiation causes - and - regardless of what 'they' say is a 'safe' level, surely not going to an irradiated area out of curiosity would be the sensible thing to do.  There are countless HD videos of the place - I'll accept the loss of that "being there" feeling in exchange for not risking my health.

Yeah... I know 'they' say it's all within acceptable limits etc, blah blah blah....  but you can't come up with a fixed limit that applies to everyone - e.g. below x mS you're 100% safe, above that value all bets are off.  That's not how nature works.
    Yeah, but they have a buttload of data from all the people living and working around there following the accident, plus knowledge from decades of x-ray exposure and medical records. There are still a few thousand people living and working in Chernobyl (not full time - some do 4 day on, 3 day off shifts, and some do 15-on, 15-off. 

What they basically say is there is a baseline for "completely safe" (ie equivalent of a couple of x-rays and background radiation from a few long-haul flights), then a limit above which everyone is seriously buggered. Obviously there's a pretty wide band between those two levels, in which you really don't want to be, ideally, but you don't get anywhere near that on a tour.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    pics or it never happened
    Couple of phone pics for now...

First, the important stuff- the night before:

Next, a wide shot. Climbed 17 floors for this one...

And the plant itself, from the same angle. You can just see the ferris wheel in the foreground
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Duly wowed.

I'd be fascinated to visit there. Despite what Emp says, looks like an awesome experience.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    A kitten dies every time someone uses a Photobucket link. :(
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    A kitten dies every time someone uses a Photobucket link. :(
    Nah, kittens love the 'bucket. These aren't going on my flickr cos they're a bit shit, and I can't use anything else at work, so suck it up :p
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    Kittens might love it, mobiles don't though. I really want to see your pics though Sticky, so I'll have to fire up the laptop this evening. ;)
    boogieman;710544" said:
    Kittens might love it, mobiles don't though. I really want to see your pics though Sticky, so I'll have to fire up the laptop this evening. ;)
    It's ok - as I say, these aren't great pics compared to some of the others I have. Should have some pretty shots in Kiev too.
  • Should have some pretty shots in Kiev too.
    Yep, that's them right there ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom