Chernobyl - NOW WITH PICS!!

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddle;715441" said:
    d8m said:

Why bother with pics?

Surely google street view of Merthyr Tydfil gives a detailed impression

Nah, there's less trees in Merthyr
    I went to Merthyr Landfill once. 1/5 Would not recommend to a friend.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Thanks for sharing. Fascinating!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eerily beautiful pics, Mike.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27633
    Wow.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Truly stunning, thanks for sharing with us
    Stop crying, start buying
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    FUUUUUUUUUUCK!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I just wouldn't go end of story,  Bad enough natural radiation levels on the granite and schist in Philadelphia, Cornwall and Scotland.

You might regret it when it catches up with you.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Sambostar said:

I just wouldn't go end of story,  Bad enough natural radiation levels on the granite and schist in Philadelphia, Cornwall and Scotland.

and yet you smoke?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Well exactly, I wouldn't want to increase my risk factors by going to Chernobyl.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I kind of fancy being naked there for some reason.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    Sambostar said:

Honestly, it's fine. You have to wear long sleeves and trousers when you're near the plant (and only for extra risk-mitigation), but that's about it. The tour guides won't take you anywhere where the big bad stuff is buried or whatever - they don't want to go anywhere dangerous either! And the effects of radiation are now quite well understood, largely as a result of the accident and cleanup. We know who had what doses and what illnesses they had and who died and who didn't. And there are still 4000 people working in Chernobyl, with about half of them in the town at any one time.
    holnrew said:
    I kind of fancy being naked there for some reason.
    This is probably pushing it a bit far though... ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Where has the radiation gone then, Correct me if I'm long but half life is not just a few decades?  What happens if you start digging around in the dust, does the Geiger counter go off the scale?  Or have we really swallowed all that radioactive dust already as it went airborne over Europe back in the day.  As I remember a lot of sheep and livestock got infected sores and we were all instructed not to eat this and that.  Maybe it's why cancer rates are on the rise, although that may be the elderly population.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @suspiciousminds - nuclear bomb deep underground is going to leave all the bad stuff there - deep underground. So not very harmful (we are talking deep deep underground so the explosion didn't erupt the surface just lift it a few metres and drop it). An aerial burst of half a mile up for a fission bomb and a couple of miles higher for a fusion bomb will cause a shock wave to bounce off the ground, pushing the fireball and the bad stuff upwards which, together with their very high temperature will carry them high up into the atmosphere, 10-30 miles maybe, where they will be dispersed over a very large area by winds of up to 100 mph.

The dirty detonation puts the bomb so close to the ground level that the bad stuff is forced into the top layer of soil in high densities and spread locally. One of the worst was the 'Baker shot' in a lagoon, where the relatively small fission bomb not only radiated the seawater but also dredged up and radiated the seafloor spraying it all over the ships being used for the test. The radiation was far far higher because of this, and meant many test results couldn't be collected as it was way too dangerous to send men in.

The largest ever bomb exploded by the Russians, the so called Tsar bomb, was very clean because so much of the bad stuff simply went upwards. It also demonstrated that huge fusion bombs are not as effective as smaller bombs because the vast majority of the energy released went out into space. Thats good news because simple physics limits the destruction capability of larger bombs. Which is why modern fusion bombs don't go beyond a few megatons.
    Sambostar said:
    Where has the radiation gone then, Correct me if I'm long but half life is not just a few decades?  What happens if you start digging around in the dust, does the Geiger counter go off the scale?  Or have we really swallowed all that radioactive dust already as it went airborne over Europe back in the day.  As I remember a lot of sheep and livestock got infected sores and we were all instructed not to eat this and that.  Maybe it's why cancer rates are on the rise, although that may be the elderly population.
    A lot of the really bad stuff was created in the explosion and had a relatively short half-life. The uranium from the plant is still there, melted and fused with the surrounding melted concrete and graphite. The chunks of core and building that were scattered by the blast didn't go far, and were mostly picked up and put back near the plant and the sarcophagus built around them all. That's thick concrete and airtight so most of the radiation is stopped by it. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7498
    Hertz32 said:
    Sambostar said:

Why the fuck would you willingly want to go to Chernobyl?  There is nothing there and I imagine the midges would drive you nuts.

I could have got you a tour of the decommissioned plant at Fawley if you were interested.  Probably much the same less the radiation.

And isn't Chernobyl still inside a country that is actively in the state of civil war?

You never wondered what it would be like to be in a post apocalyptic zombie movie? 
    Didn't they set a Call Of Duty level on that spot? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Hertz32 said:
    Sambostar said:

Why the fuck would you willingly want to go to Chernobyl?  There is nothing there and I imagine the midges would drive you nuts.

I could have got you a tour of the decommissioned plant at Fawley if you were interested.  Probably much the same less the radiation.

And isn't Chernobyl still inside a country that is actively in the state of civil war?

You never wondered what it would be like to be in a post apocalyptic zombie movie? 
    Didn't they set a Call Of Duty level on that spot? 
    Yup - 2 levels in COD4 including sniping at the plant and a shootout at the ferris wheel. They changed the layout a bit though.

There was a Black Ops MP map set at the radar station as well, apparently.
    edited July 2015

Cesium 137 is 30 years apparently.  Never heard of it.

Pu 239 has a 24,000 year half life.

http://georgewashington2.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/radiation-will-pollute-area-around.html

@stickyfiddle, did you actually hold you Geiger counter up to the ground?  What about your boots?

Sambostar said:

Cesium 137 is 30 years apparently.  Never heard of it.

Pu 239 has a 24,000 year half life.

http://georgewashington2.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/radiation-will-pollute-area-around.html

@stickyfiddle, did you actually hold you Geiger counter up to the ground?  What about your boots?

Yup, at several different times. There are "hotspots" where it goes a bit nuts, but even at that rate you'd have to stand there for something like 18 months before getting ill, and it's mostly alpha and beta particles which are blocked by clothes and can't travel more than a few feet.

Boots were fine - hands and feet get scanned in detail by these machines on your way out - if the machine picks anything up they don't let you leave until you're decontaminated.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BTW.  Are you a loyal fan of Putin now you've been in that machine?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar said:
    BTW.  Are you a loyal fan of Putin now you've been in that machine?
    :D

Nah, it was a Ukrainian machine. They all hate him!