Chernobyl - NOW WITH PICS!!

What's Hot

Comments

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I manage an IT team in Kiev, and I've been out there on business a number of times.  So far I've resisted the urge (and the offers) to go.

Ukrainians are a funny bunch (I've found) with regard to the topic of Chernobyl.  As a fortysometing myself, it's quite present in my mind - but the guys I work with tend to be a fair bit younger than me.  They're typically very pragmatic and dismissive of the huge radioactive blot on their borders.

They won't be when the monsters come.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    MrBump said:
    I manage an IT team in Kiev, and I've been out there on business a number of times.  So far I've resisted the urge (and the offers) to go.

Ukrainians are a funny bunch (I've found) with regard to the topic of Chernobyl.  As a fortysometing myself, it's quite present in my mind - but the guys I work with tend to be a fair bit younger than me.  They're typically very pragmatic and dismissive of the huge radioactive blot on their borders.

They won't be when the monsters come.
    You should definitely go, and it really is safe as long as you have a good guide and don't wander off. It's a great time at the moment - before the radar is pulled down and before the new safe confinement covers the whole thing for 100 years.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    Chalky said:
    Funny how Chernobyl is now a holiday destination and the citizens of Hiroshima built a lovely park to take the children to on Sunday afternoons, located at ground zero.
    Chernobyl was far dirtier from a contamination point of view - the radiation release was about 400 times as great, and it was a much longer-lived mixture of isotopes. I would guess the levels at Hiroshima are down to natural background by now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

All the radiative dust from Chernobyl has probably been breathed in and eaten by Northern Europeans by now anyway.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    I lived in Munich when Chernobyl went puff. Was a scary time. We were not aloud out into the school play ground until it had been dug up and replaced. Every supermarket got rid of nuts for a year (apparently then suck up radiation), it took about two years before the hype died down, then came along mad cow and we were eating emu and ostrich for about a year instead of beef.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015
    MrsF has picked up my laptop instead of hers this morning and buggered off to Dubai for work, so no more photos till the weekend. Sorry chaps!

As for contamination, I suspect the Ukrainian people are less concerned than you might expect because most of the contamination that wasn't in the immediate 30km exclusion zone went north into what is now Belarus, then blew with the wind across europe. Except France, who told their citizens not to worry, and that all the wind in France was blowing anti-clockwise, and not coming in from anywhere else, which I'm sure was *definitely* not a complete fabrication...
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Matching laptops, eh..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    Matching laptops, eh..?
    Apple family...
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I hope your browser history is safe.
    My V key is broken
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    Why not try a holiday at Maralinga, British Nuclear bombs were tested at Maralinga in the south-west Australian outback, many Aboriginal people and Service personnel suffered from the radiation effects.

Archive Footage. Bomb at 5:20min:

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    I seem to remember some of the British bomb tests in Australia were extremely dirty too - they were exploded at ground level rather than underground or dropped from aircraft.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;712173" said:
    I seem to remember some of the British bomb tests in Australia were extremely dirty too - they were exploded at ground level rather than underground or dropped from aircraft.
    Whats the difference exploding at ground level?
    ICBM;712173" said:
    Whats the difference exploding at ground level?
    Ground level spreads radioactive dust and shit over a much wider area then underground.
    edited July 2015
    First pics are done...

First we went to the Duga 3 radar array which is the most spectacularly big abandoned thing I've ever seen. And has awesome gates.

Chernobyl

Duga 3 Radar Array, Chernobyl

Then we hit the road to Chernobyl. Pretty much all the roads are very long, completely straight and completely deserted.

The road to Chernobyl

This is how close we got to the plant. That's a dose of 3.18 microsieverts per hour for me (on the left). Really bugger all considering I'm 250m from the site of the biggest nuclear disaster in history.

Radiation Level

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Then came Pripyat.

Pripyat Sign

Which has a ferris wheel...

Pripyat Ferris Wheel

But is so much more than a funfair and a room full of gas masks. This was floor 13 of the tallest building, and really quite a beautiful view, in a strange way.

Pripyat

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Loads more pics on flickr if anyone's interested: 

Pripyat Kindergarten

Pripyat School

Chernobyl

Old and busted

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Stunning (and creepy).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Why bother with pics?

Surely google street view of Merthyr Tydfil gives a detailed impression

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    d8m said:
    Why bother with pics?

Surely google street view of Merthyr Tydfil gives a detailed impression
    Nah, there's less trees in Merthyr
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Cool pics sticky.

Going somewhere off the beaten track, really cool.

Seeing the site of the worst nuclear accident ever, just, beyond wow. There's not many places I'd really want to see, but that looks really fascinating.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)