The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Let's be honest with the resources available to Jones, England should be World Cup winners and GS champs, too often they have underperformed or played beneath their capabilities. 
    It would have been frightening to see what Gatland and Edwards could have done with that squad. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    I was interested to see Jack Maunder picked for a tour a year or two back (I was at school with his dad), but he's not even starting regularly for Exeter.

At this point in the cycle, we should be picking the younger guys to give them some experience and develop them.  They can't play that much worse than Youngs, and Youngs definitely won't be around for the next world cup.

A young scrum half would require an experienced number 8 to help them out though.  Don't know what Jones has against the proper number 8s.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Is the problem the success of English club rugby? A counterintuitive theory I accept. But because of how rich the English clubs are a lot of them import players to fill weaknesses. So development of new talent takes a back seat? France have a similar problem  but theirs could possibly be explained by National temperament. Or could it just be piss poor coaching at National level?

Wales are pretty piss poor at club/region level yet seemingly able to bring on new talent successfully. 
  • tbmtbm Frets: 582
    Poite was rubbish in that game. I’m delighted but jaysus he’s f@cking awful. We should have had a card way earlier.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4989
    A very good win by Ireland over Wales today.  Many curious decisions by the referee (mainly favouring Wales).  Two from two, not many Irish people expected Ireland to turn Wales over as they did.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    edited February 2020
    Well deserved win for Ireland. Thought they would get a yellow for hands in the ruck earlier, but they were by far the better side on the day. I like the fact Wales tried some early offloads, but the execution was a bit sloppy. Hope it’s a transition period. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    But once again, many many playing of the ball on the ground :( Tipuric first half lying on his back, pulls the ball back, inside his 22. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15590
    edited February 2020
    tbm said:
    Poite was rubbish in that game. I’m delighted but jaysus he’s f@cking awful. We should have had a card way earlier.
    the bit on bold you didn't need to say, he's always rubbish. He's so bad, I'd be happy for him to ref a game that France are playing in. He's not good enough to be biased. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
    I like Eddie and I'm confident of an England win today. I'm not a fan of Sinckler and that's about it.
  • Polite was rubbish, always is. Twice he got in way at Welsh scrums, time and again warned Stander, yet only penalised him on his own try line. Should have been Yellow. 
    Whats the point in giving a yellow with one minute left. 
  • Polite was rubbish, always is. Twice he got in way at Welsh scrums, time and again warned Stander, yet only penalised him on his own try line. Should have been Yellow. 
    Whats the point in giving a yellow with one minute left. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    better from Eng this half, but I think the player having the most impact on the game is the weather. 

• Why have refs given up on enforcing the laws of the bloody game? Time and again May is two three yards in front of 9-10-12 whoever is kicking. We have touch judges or "assistant refs" yet ignored. 
    How about the guy who tackled May on the kick off was ahead of the kicker?
    But all teams are the same at the moment, it’s not being referred
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    If the wind is so bad that kicks downfield are  more likely thsn usual to go out on the full, might it not be a good idea to try something else? Although Scotland's lineout is bsdly broken. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2597
    As a 53 year old Partick Thistle and Scotland supporter, I've decided I've had enough of the torture. Sport means nothing to me from this day on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3731
    So, Ciara won England came second just ahead of Scotland. 
    I'm just glad it was free to view on TV cos if I'd paid to see that match I'd have been well peeved. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2597
    Eddie Jones though... what an arse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom