Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Have you guys ever added up the value of your gear?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Yes, as I I just had to insure it all for a move.

It is a lot but the workshop machinery is a large part of that, which is income earning, or will be. 
     Maybe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tough for me: all my gear is paid for by selling & trading what I have.
    I started out with:
    £275 Epiphone LP
    £100 Squier Tele
    £150 Vintage V400
    So £525, I added £150 of birthday money...
    After 3 years of judicious trades & sales I have stuff that was advertised for a total of £1200ish. (The "ish" is due to a partscaster that's had £10 here...£15 there).
    I don't have to include tools bought to allow me to do mods do I?
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3985
    Mine used to be about £10,000.

Now it's less than £1000.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    £1750-£2000 but I am without an acoustic after missing out on a Brook Teign recently, so it might rise a tad :)
  • This is exactly why I was talking about selling a guitar or two - pare it down to the bare essentials!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I'm not too worried about total cost of current kit, it's the money spent rotating gear to get to it I never want to know!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A large part of my 5-year £15k student loan was probably spent on gear... 

• NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    TBH coming from a wristwatch collecting, guitar stuff seems incredibly cheap.

Any hobby will cost but at least the giggers can recoup a bit. I've seen people who spend CS money on a carp pole!

If you can afford it and it brings you joy where's the harm?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    With things I buy, try and sell, I can't really keep track. It's an ever evolving figure.

For me the slightly annoying point is that I have ended up with a few decent guitars and realise that the value in them would have secured the Martin 000-15M I would like.

The advantage is that I have slightly scratched the itch with a Sigma 000M-15.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Danny1969 said:

£150 amp and a £200 guitar, some homemade IEM system which cost about £40 to build and that's it :) And I gig for a living !
    I've had some more expensive gear in the past though 

I seem to have more in dirt pedals alone......No I'm not totalling them up.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11461
    edited August 2015
    It's a lot, but it's roughly the difference between a new BMW 320i and what I spent on a 3 year old Toyota.  In 15 years time both the cars will be rotting in a scrapheap somewhere but my guitars will still be worth roughly what they are now.  Admittedly the Kemper might not be worth a lot in 15 years time.

Even the Kemper is 2 roughly season tickets to a London premier league club.  There are guys I work with that go to football every week.

I've accumulated it over 15 years and most of the outlay was before we had our daughters.  I have made a little bit of money back from it as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    I notice all the guys ho have spent in excess of £10k are keeping out of declaring this!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    10 guitars for less than the cost of a CS strat.

3 amps (including dual rec) and 2 cabs for less than the cost of a dual rec.

5 pedals for less than the cost of a tube screamer.

Makes me think I've done quite well 
    :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, must be nearly £2500 spent. The thing is though, which I'm sure is the same for a lot of you, I'm sure selling my gear I'd raise over £2000. There's not many hobbies where you can get your money back like that! So don't feel too guilty everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10431

A friend of mine has accumulated about 18 Les Pauls and every single one is now worth more than he paid for it. You won't lose on the right guitars ....   amps and pedals yeah and digital kit definitely 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • tbmtbm Frets: 582
    Just did this fairly roughly based on the guitars amps and pedals I own. I ignored mics, outboard and sundry recording bits. It comes in at a little over €14k (around £10000). I did it based on what it would cost me to replace everything. Of course if I did lose it all I wouldn't buy the same things again and there's only one guitar and few few pedals that I'd be really devastated to lose. I think it was about what I expected.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2927
    Bought a lot second hand of eBay so i recon £2500 on guitar and another £1500 on amps and effects.  But thats the cots i paid.  I suspect the actual worth is sold today is a fraction of that.  If they were all lost tomorrow and putting aside any sentimental value, I would probably buy 2 or three guitars and a line 6 helix.  

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    edited August 2015
    Very approximately.  A while ago I roughly added up what I've spent on gear over the years, then subtracted what I've got back on sales and a conservative estimate of what my gear is currently worth - to give total cost of my "hobby" to date.

And to be honest, it's piddling when you take into account how long I've been playing and how much I'd have spent if my interest had been in golf, or cars, or ski-ing or pricey clothes or whatever.  In fact what I've spent on gear (net) would be a fraction of what I've spent on cds or books.

And that's before taking into account the fact that - although I've never been in a band with the purpose of making money - I've still been paid for playing over the years, mainly small amounts but with the odd decent earner cropping up from time to time.  

So yeah when I look at the value of my gear - probably very roughly around the £15K mark - I feel extravagant sometimes.  I wish I could motivate myself to offload some of it.  But looking at the big picture, it's been a cheap, or even profitable, interest over the years.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    Danny1969;729027" said:
    A friend of mine has accumulated about 18 Les Pauls and every single one is now worth more than he paid for it. You won't lose on the right guitars ....   amps and pedals yeah and digital kit definitely 
    Think I'll sell some pedals to fund that R9 itch...can't sell the amp since I only have 1.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    This thread reminded me to update some of the items on my insurance, thanks OP!