Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Have you guys ever added up the value of your gear?

What's Hot

Comments

• Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    My gear seems to hover around four grand. Two grand on guitars (usually a £1000-£1500 main and a £500-£1000 backup), about a grand on an amp, and five hundred on pedals, cables etc. I find any more than that and I feel like I'm carrying too much value. Any less and I feel underequipped.

I did once calculate the amount of money I've lost over the years in depreciation, bad trades, impulse buys and hasty sales, and it was terrifying. I'm only now starting to learn that just because you're not handing over physical cash doesn't mean you're not losing money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TitchTitch Frets: 45
    My gear is probably north of five grand in total,guitars averaging £1500 apiece + amps & pedalboard (nearly a grand on the pedalboard alone) + all cables etc. it's surprising how it mounts up.
    I once calculated the replacement value of the entire band's gear including instruments,drums,backline,pa etc (I play in a seven piece) and it came to more than 65 grand.
    Frightening really
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Monetary value of my guitars is high enough.  I did spend over £5K on an Anderson and a Fender CS Strat.  But there is no reason why I should not have decent kit.  Even if my playing standard is laughable.

I feel the same about watches.  And about shotguns.  For years I have shot pheasants using a pair of London made sidelock ejectors.  And my clay pigeon guns were all 'good', ranging from Beretta, Miroku and now a Beretta 686 Onyx.  And at a shoot, I am not outgunned by most even if some of the guns being used cost multiples of what I paid for my 686.  Golf equipment is another slippery slope spending wise.  If every new driver added the claimed yardage to your drive [versus last years model!], we would be teeing off in Antrim to a par 3 green in Ayr.  But it is interesting that three clubs in my bag, driver, 3 wood and lob wedge cost a total of €10 from a charity shop.  My advice golf wise is to buy good golf clubs and stop reading golf magazines.  Just enjoy the game.

My biggest investment, music wise, is in my hi-fi system. Costly in monetary terms, but it gets used almost every day.

I was fearful that this thread could end up with he who spent least on his kit wins.    It is nice to handle well made equipment.  In the case of a shotgun, it balances well in your hands.  It comes up nicely and the trigger action is good and crisp.  The ejectors land the spent cartridges the same distance apart as they were in the barrels.  Things like that matter.  It has taken a skilled craftsman several hours of work to get that little bit right.  Mechanical not software controlled.  Something that will last for well over a century and still work as it should.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kelv_wkelv_w Frets: 260
    yup I did and it definitely cured my GAS. I think I've done spending on gears and just enjoying it :) 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Yes, and it's pretty scary. Many of the things I bought are now worth an awful lot more than I paid for them, which makes quite a difference.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Am I the only one with a spreadsheet of everything I've bought and sold?
    I have everything since I got back into gadgets - ahem - MUSIC, I mean - a few years back.

I've spent nearly £16000, and got back £15500 through selling things. So Is my gear now worth £500? Sounds about right!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 456
    edited August 2015
    Am I the only one with a spreadsheet of everything I've bought and sold?
    I've done this with pedals, quite frightening when it build up!

But it helped when I came to sell them and could decide which to sell and approx how much I'd get. I of course put those proceeds towards a new guitar B-)
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    Rocker said:

My advice golf wise is to buy good golf clubs and stop reading golf magazines.  Just enjoy the game.

That advice could easily be transferred to guitar/gear ownership., i.e stop lusting after stuff and just play end enjoy what you have.

Probably won't stop us though!
    B-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I don't give a flying rats arse what this lot cost or is worth.

Put it another way - if I smoked 20 cigs a day, at current prices I'd spend more on killing myself over the course of a year and plenty of folks do that, with sod all to show for it. Other than death, bad breath and stained ceilings that is...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited August 2015
    I know that the depreciation of my father in laws last 3 cars is more than the value of 5 guitars, an amp & a grands worth of pedalboard.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    My biggest worry is if I die my wife sells my gear for what I told her it's worth
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol @bignorm.
    @Danny1969 - what amp(s) do you use?
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    edited August 2015
    I have 6 Prs in the guitar cupboard, a Gibson Chet Atkins and hand crafted acoustic on the living room wall, oh and another Prs at a friends house that I let him play rather than laying under the bed coz there's not enough room in the guitar cupboard.
    The total value is just under £2000 O:-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    Lol @bignorm.
    @Danny1969 - what amp(s) do you use?
    BlackStar HT5 mate, got 2 of em one cost £150 the other £120. Ideal little amps for gigging mic'ed up 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Aha, another Blackstar user!! I've got the ID260 but then I don't mic up. Think they sound pretty good and no hassle with valves. I thought you'd have been a valve guy (unless I'm wrong and the HT5 does have valves... )
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2174
    A quick estimate of current stuff including studio bits. £30-40k :(

The whole list of stuff over the last 20 odd years? Probably nearing £80,000.

Retarded.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow!!
  • I'm on about £7.5k which I really don't think is that bad seeing as I have a packed out Pedaltrain Pro full of strymon and boutique brands and then bad cat amp and fender/gretsch/martin&co guitars etc. I thought it'd be more like 10k+
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Aha, another Blackstar user!! I've got the ID260 but then I don't mic up. Think they sound pretty good and no hassle with valves. I thought you'd have been a valve guy (unless I'm wrong and the HT5 does have valves... )
    HT5 does have valves.  There is one preamp valve and a valve power section (12BH7 I think).

Admittedly there was a lot of talk in the amp forum on here about the marketing because it's marketed as valve but strictly speaking it's hybrid.
  • Ah OK :)

People keep saying I need a valve amp for my PRS lol