Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me some Les Paul type lightweights......

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
edited August 2015 in Guitar
No idea what my recent purchase weighs as I have no scales but I've got some fucking horrible pain in my right shoulder which has only started since getting my (what seems like a) heavy Les Paul Custom. It sounds amazing, plays even better but this is a nightmare.

Reckon it's gonna get sold, any ideas on Les Paul territory sounds/feel but light weight? Ideally I'd love a Nik Huber '59 Orca but that would be way out of my price range even if I was trading in said Les Paul.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    I think you might get on with the PRS single cuts  - especially the tremonti.  Without weighing it, I'd say it's heavier than my custom but a lot lighter than my LP standard - mine is a 2002 and I suspect it doesn't have weight relief as it's a beast. 
  • Your right shoulder? The one with out the strap? Or are you a lefty?

Also, are you sitting or standing and are you wearing a strap? If so which kind
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    That's actually a great shout despite my pre-judged ideas about PRS.
    Your right shoulder? The one with out the strap? Or are you a lefty?

Right handed, yeah the one without the strap weight on it. Standing. I hadn't played for nearly two weeks and it started getting better. Jammed tonight and it's worse than ever again.
  • Deijavoo;733184" said:
    johnonguitar said:

Your right shoulder? The one with out the strap? Or are you a lefty?

Right handed, yeah the one without the strap weight on it. Standing. I hadn't played for nearly two weeks and it started getting better. Jammed tonight and it's worse than ever again.
    Think you might need a trip to the chiropractor mate
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    Get a wider strap maybe. It usually helps with heavier guitars.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    Lighter ? Collings 290
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5078
    edited August 2015
    Always ask for an accurate weight before you buy a Les Paul type guitar. And go for sub-9lbs if you have trouble with heavy ones.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    I never used to have this issue, used to play heavy Les Pauls all the time, heads in flightcases and a Mesa 4x12 on my own into venues no bother at all. My back has turned into total bullshit since starting an office based job a few years back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4020
    How about an R7 or R8? Gibson use lighter backs for those than the customs. My R7 was way lighter than my Custom.
  • Deijavoo;733223" said:
    I never used to have this issue, used to play heavy Les Pauls all the time, heads in flightcases and a Mesa 4x12 on my own into venues no bother at all. My back has turned into total bullshit since starting an office based job a few years back.
    Im serious, spend some dosh on a chiropractor!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Best bet would be to trade for the lightest used R7 or R8 you can find. 8.2 lbs has been fairly common since Gibson started using Fijian Mahogany a couple of years ago.
    I am not sure about the chambered Historics (even lighter) but if you find one that sounds great....why not?

• The Billy Gibbons weighs about the same as a dirty thought
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Deijavoo;733223" said:
    this...there's more to the problem than the guitar...
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    Get a 335. Gibson tones and feel but much lighter.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    But hang on......It's a Les Paul Custom. We don't know what it weighs.

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9466
    Les Paul florentine? Gibson Memphis are making those and they are circa 7lbs
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31743
    Deijavoo;733223" said:
    Exactly. Selling your guitar and getting one 20 ounces lighter is not going to cure a serious problem with your right shoulder. You're barking up the wrong tree in my opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 857
    Sounds to me like you might be wearing it too low on the strap. Go more Kossoff rather then Page and you're back will thank you :-)
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Another vote for chiropractor here (and then maybe a Gibson Reissue)