Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me some Les Paul type lightweights......

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    edited August 2015
    As already said, saving a pound or so on a 10lb guitar won't make much difference. It's more to do with the balance of the guitar and how it fits you than the outright weight - which varies from person to person.

The guitarist in my band has back trouble. He found his 8.5lb Les Paul DC Special gave him a lot of pain, but his nearly 11lb Custom doesn't. It's because the Custom has a steeper neck angle and a longer 'reach' to the left.

I find the opposite, I find guitars with a shorter, flatter neck angle feel more balanced and lighter. Something like a 335 feels heavy and ungainly to me, whereas my Rickenbacker feels like a feather on the strap even though it's 9lbs.

So you probably want something that isn't Les Paul shaped...

Maybe a PRS McCarty/DGT? Not an SC.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12020
    edited August 2015
    There is a used R9 in WG weight in at 7lb 15oz!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3073
    ESP Eclipse?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I played a 339 for years no issues at all, only since I got this LPC. Maybe coincidence but I was better until I jammed last night. I actually raised the strap really high as I was totally struggling and no difference. It hurts to even laugh today.
    Deijavoo said:
    I played a 339 for years no issues at all, only since I got this LPC. Maybe coincidence but I was better until I jammed last night. I actually raised the strap really high as I was totally struggling and no difference. It hurts to even laugh today.
    I'm pretty sure a Les Paul has a steeper neck angle than a 339, and it may stick out slightly further left when it's on a strap too - not certain, I haven't played a 339 on a strap.

Maybe go back to a 339?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11496
    339 doesn't sound the same as a Les Paul though.

Some of the advice above about wide straps might help, and finding a light one might help a bit.  I'll compare the playing position on my 339 and Les Paul when I get home tonight and report back.

PRS McCarty is probably the best way to get close to LP otherwise.  DGT is not as close as the trem gives it a different sound.

One other thing that might help is going to the gym and doing work on your shoulders etc..  My shoulders and neck are a lot better for it, I have better posture, and I have mostly eliminated the problems I used to get with my wrist.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27536
    Try a CS-336. Much closer to an LP in sound but same basic shape and concept as an ES339.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23508
    Skipped said:
    Best bet would be to trade for the lightest used R7 or R8 you can find. 8.2 lbs has been fairly common since Gibson started using Fijian Mahogany a couple of years ago.
    I am not sure about the chambered Historics (even lighter) but if you find one that sounds great....why not?

My chambered R8 weighs 7lb.

You could order a Corsa LP, all his guitars are chambered.

But what price range are you looking at?

crunchman said:
    PRS McCarty is probably the best way to get close to LP otherwise.  DGT is not as close as the trem gives it a different sound.
    That's true, but the McCarty has a steeper neck angle so it feels more like (though not the same as, of course) a Les Paul. That's one reason I don't like stopbar PRSs.

It can be quite marginal if it is neck angle/position making your shoulder hurt though, it may make no difference to one person but a lot to another.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7823
    edited August 2015
    You said you changed jobs to an office based one? sort out your seating position first, office desks are a night mare and the guitar could be compounding this, especially if you use a PC alot

Get the monitor height and chair heights right first and foremost - if you have the monitor on the desk without a stand, you are asking for trouble. Then look at the mouse, if you are right handed and use the mouse with the right hand it can give you a lot of shoulder pain (I say from experience). You need to look at mouse pads with raised support for your wrist.

Humans are not designed in any way to sit at desks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    You need some physio mate. The guitar may not be the root cause of the problem but it certainly is aggravating it.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    Teetonetal;733749" said:
    You said you changed jobs to an office based one? sort out your seating position first, office desks are a night mare and the guitar could be compounding this, especially if you use a PC alot

Get the monitor height and chair heights right first and foremost - if you have the monitor on the desk without a stand, you are asking for trouble. Then look at the mouse, if you are right handed and use the mouse with the right hand it can give you a lot of shoulder pain (I say from experience). You need to look at mouse pads with raised support for your wrist.

Humans are not designed in any way to sit at desks.
    Yes you need a desk assessment too
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11685
    tFB Trader
    Seriosly why don'yt you look at one of our Lion Supremes or one of the remaining 20th Anniversary Lions

One of the 20ths tips the scales at just over 7lbs (lighter than most strats) , has similar specs to a LP Custom  but has way better top fret access and better construction and attention to detail throughout.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Booked in with a chiropractor. Today was crazy how much pain my neck and head had. My right arm feels like it's bruised (it's not) and I can't move it properly. I should probably start back in the gym again or get a job on my feet again.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seriosly why don'yt you look at one of our Lion Supremes or one of the remaining 20th Anniversary Lions

One of the 20ths tips the scales at just over 7lbs (lighter than most strats) , has similar specs to a LP Custom  but has way better top fret access and better construction and attention to detail throughout.
    @FelineGuitars - just out of curiosity, do your guitars have lower neck angles and head angles than a Gibson? It looks like they do in the pics - including the one on your website with the headstock-on shot - but it's hard to be really sure without a side-on view.

Not that I'm in the market anyway, but the steep neck angles are the main bugbear I have with Les Pauls, other than 50s ones and Jr/Specials.

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2200
    I've got three Les Pauls that are chambered, a CR8, Supreme and a Catalina. All sound great and play well, and are all very light. The Catalinas, although only being produced for a couple of years and in questionable colours, don't command high prices, mine is also my one guitar that I would never ever sell.
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    Larrivee RS4. Get an early one with Lollars. Superb.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    I moved from a 10lb LP Classic which caused me serious shoulder pain to a 7lb SG which has turned out to be my favourite guitar. I love Les Pauls but I always have issues with them . I also had a PRS Tremonti which was a great guitar but was like a boat anchor

• My hofner verithin is really light - sounds the dogs too.
    I've recently been really enjoying Strat and Tele tones again, but I do struggle with single coils live. Maybe a humbucker equiped super strat might be the way to go.