Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me some Les Paul type lightweights......

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11494
    Just checked my 339 and Les Paul and the neck angle seems to be similar.  I put them both flat on the table with the neck sticking out and measured the distance to the floor at the nut and they were both the same to within less than half a centimetre.  The scale length on both is 24.75" so the geometry probably wouldn't be that different between the two.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    Interesting! I've only played a couple of 339s (actually I think one was a 336) but they seemed flatter - must be an illusion caused by the body shape.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Went to see a chiropractor yesterday,  they want £81 a week to fix my back. No chance. 

Went to a doc tonight, neurologist, physio and MRI with loads of Tramadol ahead for me. Get out and have a bloody flat tyre with every pissed up old wanker of Brampton there to give hints and tips. 

FML.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Is it possible your strap needs re-measured I.e is the les paul sitting slightly higher or lower than your previous I can't tell you the pain with tennis elbow this caused me when I changed guitar I know am meticulous about measuring straps If it has raised the guitar slightly a change in your right hand strumming position is all it can take I have to say I'm sceptical about Chiropractors .. Urban voodoo . You do get good ones but since it's so unregulated and the requirements for entry aren't all that stringent a bad one can make your life worse and your wallet lighter
    I've cancelled with the chiropractor and now I'm relying on hard drugs and back cracking. To be fair the GP and chiro both recognised that my pelvis is squint meaning that my ribs are adjusting and then my neck adjusting back again. They also both accurately picked out that I could have had a lower back problem 6-12 months ago due to heavy lifting which is totally correct.

Strats and lunch box heads for me from now on. 

:-( 

Try a PRS Hollowbody.

The one I had was so light it was unreal - under 5lbs.

OK it did not sound like a Les Paul, but it did sound great in its own way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    There are some physio exercises you can do that will help strengthen your back and also your glutens which also suffer a lot from working at a desk...
    A light SG is worth a go as well.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    Sorry to hear about that mate. Have you considered a Les Paul axess or Less Plus if the Feline is out of reach?

When you've got through the worst of it try some yoga. . . fine a teacher which experience helping people with back/should injuries. It'll help with strength, alignment and posture. You might laugh but it'll do wonders.

Another option could be an ESP eclipse or one of the new Fender limited editions with the Mahogany body. Chuck in a couple of humbucker and it might be the best of both worlds.
    Some kind of exercise would definitely help long term.  My shoulders and neck are a lot better since I joined a gym.  My wife does Pilates and that has really helped her.  Her posture is a lot better as well.  Bad posture really doesn't help - that would be something to look at as well.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2388
    edited August 2015
    You guys recommending he go to a chiropractor realise that they (or at least a sizable minority of them) think all disease is caused by the spine being out of whack, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    What about the LP Custom Lite? same guitar half the thickness!

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12019
    edited August 2015
    I had pain in my leg about 2 years back and went to the GP, it was a back problem, a nerve thing in the spine that radiated down and was given some tablets to take daily. It worked okay but soon as I stopped, the pain returned. I was on and off those drugs for a year and thought What the hell, paid for private osteopath sessions, £85 consultation and £55 each since then. 5 sessions later the pain stopped. How do I know?

Well, when I sneeze, I used to scream in pain after because the muscles that I flex from sneezing causes shooting pain down my leg. That no longer happens. I don't take any tablets and it was the best £400 I've ever spent. My thinking was that I either take pills for the rest of my life or learn to live with the pain or try something like an osteopath.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23506
    What about the LP Custom Lite? same guitar half the thickness!

The 2013 ones seem to turn up on eBay quite a lot.  I had one for a while, it was quite nice but I wish it had an ebony (or even Richlite) board.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I had pain in my leg about 2 years back and went to the GP, it was a back problem, a nerve thing in the spine that radiated down and was given some tablets to take daily. It worked okay but soon as I stopped, the pain returned. I was on and off those drugs for a year and thought What the hell, paid for private osteopath sessions, £85 consultation and £55 each since then. 5 sessions later the pain stopped. How do I know?

Well, when I sneeze, I used to scream in pain after because the muscles that I flex from sneezing causes shooting pain down my leg. That no longer happens. I don't take any tablets and it was the best £400 I've ever spent. My thinking was that I either take pills for the rest of my life or learn to live with the pain or try something like an osteopath.
    Osteopaths had to go to medical school for 5 years and do a degree, Chiropractors .. not so much. Some of them do but its not a requirements
    Thanks for all the advice guys. My right hand being numb is really starting to worry me along with having absolutely no reflex in my arm. :(
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    You've trapped something in your shoulder by the sounds of things. Osteopath as soon as possible.
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Another vote for an SG here.

Really sorry to hear you're having troubles mate :( you'll also have pm from me in a min
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7180
    SG as already mentioned by many or PRS SE Tremonti. 

Both are similar in layout and weight wise a lot lighter than most Les Pauls.

Better upper fret access on SG, although the Tremonti SE isn't bad for that either to be honest. I own both and an R7 and they are all good guitars.

I find the big problem with super-light guitars - and most SGs - is that they balance too far to the left, meaning that they actually put *more* strain on your left arm and shoulder. I couldn't get on with my PRS Hollowbody for that reason, it made my arm and hand ache even though it weighed literally almost half what my Rickenbacker 381 does. The Rick is amazingly balanced and almost feels like it's not there at all even though it weighs almost dead on 9lbs.