Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gear you sold and now miss

What's Hot

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Red PRS CU22 swarped with Guitargeek.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kaisoskaisos Frets: 26
    Rockinger Telecaster

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4198
    edited August 2015
    I also sold my Taylor 214 today (formerly @Niallmo and @Guitargeek62). Don't miss it *yet* but it was a bloody marvelous guitar that saw me through many a sweaty pub.
    That was a nice one! I missed it until I picked up my 324ce-k recently. Slightly different sound, but the feel and response is much the same.

The one I really miss was the guitar that I basically cut my teeth and learnt to play "properly" on. It was a 2003 CIJ Fender '62 Strat, one of the basswood versions with US Vintage pickups. I sold it not too long after joining the intermusic forums, because I decided I wanted a 1-pc maple neck version with bigger frets and a flatter radius. I recently found some pics of it again, so if anyone happens to have serial number Q 065811, please let me know as I'd love to buy it back.

I also had a lovely PRS Custom 22 that was pretty battered but played and sounded brilliant. I sold it to @gweilo on MusicRadar about 7 years ago, but if anyone's seen this one then it's another I'd be interested in buying back. (# 4 20237)

Here's one for @Evilmags too, I took this in a trade off of him and loved it except for the colour. I then had a deal on another one in a colour I liked fall through, and eventually ended up with the grey-black one listed above. Still didn't learn my lesson! (#6 32811

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dedekinddedekind Frets: 13
    Not much. A Skreddy Lunar Module Deluxe (funnily enough, there is one for sale right now here, but I can't seem to make the plunge just yet), and a PRS SE Singlecut Trem. Amazing guitar, bought for $400 new on the US. Don't know what I was thinking about when I sold it. 
  • Not quite gear I got rid of, but the mrs dad was getting rid of his old Watkins Dominator valve amp and asked me if I wanted it. I said "thanks but no thanks" as I was redecorating and didnt have the space in my flat! He then traded it to a local music shop for 100quid. Couldnt believe it. It was totally perfect and Ill forever kick myself over that one.
  • Evilmags said:
    Red PRS CU22 swarped with Guitargeek.
    I still feel really bad about that :(
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2198
    1968 Gibson ES-335. Traded a load of nothing special for it, sounded amazing, played brilliantly. Traded it for a PRS Private Stock that I never play.

Strangely the other one was a wine red 1996 Les Paul Studio with gold hardware, plain maple top, dot neck. Traded that for a PRS CU22 Artist, miss that Studio, best les Paul I've ever played.

(Sigh)

:-(

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Jookyjr said:

biggest neck ever!!!!
    It was a pretty horrible guitar but it had its charms. That Vinyl wrap finish was definitely unique 

You have definitely played it then. It sounded like a bag of nails. Funny thing is I picked up a 'History of Electric GGuitars' type of book in a charity shop and it was in there and the finish was original! lol
    wow I am surprised that finish was original. 
    I sounded "better" after it got rewired. Not miles better but it was a slight improvement. If I remember rightly it was microphonic as hell.
    I think the trem was like closing a barn door as well if I remember correctly. 

Was cool though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
    TTony said:

Bought from Mr @CloudNine and sold to Mr @monofin when I was having a bit of a clear out a couple of years ago.  

Aye, that was a good one @TTony. Would happily have it back.

Overall, thinking about the guitars I have moved on in the past, there has been so much good stuff, but I try not to think about it as regrets, more that it (the insane GAS) has allowed me to try almost every style and brand of I can think of, and helped to focus my mind on what I actually want in a guitar.

Downside is the cost I suppose... Years ago, I used to hardly ever lose money on selling or trading guitars, but in the last 5 yrs I have always wanted to flip them quickly in order to move onto the next thing, and have ended up selling at low prices as a result.. All good experience though, so don't really mind too much.

Couple of acoustics I think I should have given more of a chance to as there was something special. One was a Gallagher dread, which had a bridge issue, but the tone was unreal. My current main squeeze acoustic is no slouch in the volume stakes, but this Gallagher was on a whole other level. The other was a J45 Legend, which I let go too quickly and have thought about a fair bit since.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I've let go some beauties, but the one that hurts the most was a 2001 McCarty, which I chopped in for a PRS NF3, which I chopped in for a Tom Anderson Classic, which I chopped in for a CS Strat (which I love to bits).  For me the McCarty sounded as good as my Les Paul, but was easier to play and lighter. 

(I have a PRS incoming on Thursday!!)
  • camfcamf Frets: 1192
    Genuine offer @camf 

Borrow it any time you need it. 

Cheers 
    Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

I generally don't regret moving guitars on and I'm pretty happy with what I have these days, but that one left a big impression. I know you have it back as a tele these days, and I think if I'd done that with it myself, I'd probably wouldn't have parted with it so easily. I did let it go on my way to getting a very nice LP Custom from @lamf68, and I'm glad I did, as it's a great guitar. So no real regrets... just a a twinge now and then. :)

cam 

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

82/83 Les Paul standard gold top - don't play les pauls any more, so if I still had it, it would live in a case with it's non-gold top sister, that said, I was a fool to let it go, as these two Les Pauls are just magic, I should have hung onto that gold top, and now because I don't play Les Pauls any more, I probably won't go through the effort of finding another one and wasting money on a guitar I'd very rarely play, but it was a keeper.

don't often think about it, but when I do, I kick myself

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2015
    I've been lucky and never really regretted selling anything, but my dad's story is quite different...

He had an old Ibanez Iceman, one of the earliest models - from between 1975 and 1977. It was his first proper, good guitar, and he loved it. It was pretty much his only guitar for quite a while. It was absolutely knackered and nowhere near original by the time he got it (although that would only have been a few years after it was made). It had been refinished black (badly) and fitted with insanely high-output pickups. My dad ended up putting a Bill Lawrence in it and fitting some extra mini switches, as was de rigeur in the 80s...

He said it only really did one sound (presumably owing to the pickups) but played like a dream, the lowest action of any guitar he'd ever played. He sold it in the early 90s, trading it for a Godin that he didn't keep long. He started looking for the Iceman again but to this day, has never found it. So a few years ago, he decided to hunt for another one instead. And he happened across a 1976 example being sold by Nevada Music down in Portsmouth...

It's not the same one, of course, and he's still kind of looking for that one - I suspect it's irreplaceable - but he still loves this guitar. This one is immaculate - super clean and all original. It plays really nicely and sounds A-MAZING. This or the pink Tele are my favourite of my dad's guitars.

He's learned his lesson anyway... the man barely sells anything now if he can get away with it :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • TitchTitch Frets: 46
    The only one I regret selling was an original 72 Custom Telecaster which i had from new.
  • My Raygun SG Jr. It was replaced with a Gibson LP Jr- I just don't find SGs comfortable... But it was an utterly brilliant (and cool) guitar. My introduction to the joys of single pickup guitars and also to P90s.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/25E054DB-033C-4596-BD56-9ECA74B3E837_zps8iwlkbbm.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4337
    My first decent guitar, 1993 Les Paul Custom in ebony. Lovely thing, sounded amazing... But I wanted a Strat. Got one, then wanted another Les Paul.

Sold it to Slate

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12439
    edited August 2015
    I sold an unusual old valve amp to @ICBM that I regret now but it was important that he had it as he had been looking for one for about 30 years. Ah well. Another one is my faded brown SG that I sold on here as a whim and when it popped up again 3 years later I had no money, best SG I ever had, it just had that "magic" that no others have had.

Edit - just wanted to add that that wasn't a veiled plea to get the amp back, well not really anyway
    :))
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • The only thing that I really regret selling is one of the original EQD Disaster Transport pedals.

I don't use delay a lot but that would fill all my needs. Analogue with switchable modulation.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    camf;761507" said:
    Genuine offer @camf Borrow it any time you need it. Cheers Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

I generally don't regret moving guitars on and I'm pretty happy with what I have these days, but that one left a big impression. I know you have it back as a tele these days, and I think if I'd done that with it myself, I'd probably wouldn't have parted with it so easily. I did let it go on my way to getting a very nice LP Custom from @lamf68, and I'm glad I did, as it's a great guitar. So no real regrets... just a a twinge now and then. :)

cam 
    I've toyed with selling it as you know Cam. Best Tele/ Esquire I have played but just more a Gibson fan. That said, everyone needs a good Tele in their gear larder so going to keep. You know where it is if you ever want it for a gig or recording :)

Super work on the PH promo too.

Back on OT, there was only one other guitar i should never have sold and it was a Ric 330 from 1995. Fireglo and serial number C8 8881. This one was bought by my late father as a gift for actually turning up at school, getting some exams passed and not getting expelled. I sold it (with his blessing) to help with a house deposit. Have tried a few times to find it but the trail always cold. I think it's gone forever but it'd be nice if it was out there somewhere.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com