Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gear you sold and now miss

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
edited August 2015 in Guitar
Been scrolling through some old pictures of my photobucket account and realised there's a lot of gear I wish I'd kept. Due to problems with finding permanent employment during the crappy years of the last recession I had to sell a lot of stuff to be able to afford bus fares, running a car etc. I'm lucky that I now have a good steady job and a supporting Wife so I'm now building things up again but I still miss some old stuff.

Here's some pictures

Post some of yours!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Very little really. I've bought and sold, like most on here, an inordinate amount of gear but once I've decided to move it on I lose the connection with it. Having said that, this DC Les Paul Goldtop was a great guitar, I just wish I could get on with the LP shape!

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

My 1953 Martin 0-18 ... Stupidy, stupid .... didn't even need the cash at the time.  3 years and still looking for an acoustic as good.

Not forgetting my 1969 LP

Very, very early Deluxe, one piece neck, no pancake body .... routed for humbuckers and came to me in shoreline gold!  Had it refinished by JXG, superb job .... traded on a whim  ... Stupid!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72651
    edited August 2015
    1957 Gibson Les Paul Special
    1961 Gibson J45
    1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1965 Fender Jaguar
    1966 Fender Mustang
    1961 Gibson EB-2 bass

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27234
    edited August 2015
    2003 Gibson SG Faded. Worn brown, ebony board, dot inlays. Keep looking for it but no sign of it ever coming up for sale. It had a hiscox case and graphtech saddles if anyone ever spots it... Bah! :(

1999 (i think) MIJ Jazzmaster, ex @camf, SD antquities, graphtech saddles. The coolest guitar I ever owned, sold to fund a Burny only to find I don't really click with Les Pauls. I shall have another JM one day.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    1999 (i think) MIJ Jazzmaster, ex @camf, SD antquities, graphtech saddles. The coolest guitar I ever owned, sold to fund a Burny only to find I don't really click with Les Pauls. I shall have another JM one day.

That was a nice guitar. I've ended up back with Les Pauls though... and Telecasters... and a Strat. :D
    edited August 2015
    Actually, the only one I regret in recent years has been letting the white JLX Esquire go back to @shugz. I really liked that guitar. I've a couple of others just now that do the job but they don't come close to the lovely ebony board. :(
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Musicman Albert Lee (with a gorgeous birdseye maple neck)
    Laney L20H
    D*A*M Tonebender Mk2 (with Mullard OC81Ds) - sold to Thorpy many years ago
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    camf;761239" said:
    Actually, the only one I regret in recent years has been letting the white JLX Esquire go back to @shugz. I really liked that guitar. I've a couple of others just now that do the job but they don't come close to the lovely ebony board. :(
    Yours any time you need it Cam :)

Sold a few in my time but the only regret is my old 1960 ES 355. Beautiful guitar, sold in not so good times.

cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Late 70s Ibanez Artist. I don't know what I was thinking at the time. Stupid, just stupid.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27692
    I've sold some nice guitars, but I don't think that I've ever sold anything that's completely unique and irreplaceable - so it's always a bit of comfort that I could probably find another one if I did really miss it.

That said, it'd be a while before I managed to find another of these JJs;

Bought from Mr @CloudNine and sold to Mr @monofin when I was having a bit of a clear out a couple of years ago.  

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I never should've sold my old PRS SE soapbar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    camf said:
    1999 (i think) MIJ Jazzmaster, ex @camf, SD antquities, graphtech saddles. The coolest guitar I ever owned, sold to fund a Burny only to find I don't really click with Les Pauls. I shall have another JM one day.

That was a nice guitar. I've ended up back with Les Pauls though... and Telecasters... and a Strat. :D
    Splitter! :p

Coolest guitar ever. See?

Me with Inlight at Rough Trade Records<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    I also sold my Taylor 214 today (formerly @Niallmo and @Guitargeek62). Don't miss it *yet* but it was a bloody marvelous guitar that saw me through many a sweaty pub.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I regret having sold a Gordon-Smith GS 1. It sustained like no other guitar I've ever played yet still retained clarity on chords.
    I regret having my '64 Telecaster stolen.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    It was part of my dad's guitarstream and is long gone, but I loved this one. Reckon it was a Hofner or Egmond (?) and had a lovely big neck on it. I'm really into old and quirky things though. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Jookyjr said:
    It was part of my dad's guitarstream and is long gone, but I loved this one. Reckon it was a Hofner or Egmond (?) and had a lovely big neck on it. I'm really into old and quirky things though. 

biggest neck ever!!!!
    It was a pretty horrible guitar but it had its charms. That Vinyl wrap finish was definitely unique 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    camf;761239" said:
    Actually, the only one I regret in recent years has been letting the white JLX Esquire go back to @shugz. I really liked that guitar. I've a couple of others just now that do the job but they don't come close to the lovely ebony board. 
    Yours any time you need it Cam 

I'm going to pretend I never heard that. 
    :((
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Genuine offer @camf :)

Borrow it any time you need it.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3999
    Getting rid of my Gibson Les Paul R7 Darkback... what a dick I am sometimes.
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870

biggest neck ever!!!!
    It was a pretty horrible guitar but it had its charms. That Vinyl wrap finish was definitely unique 

You have definitely played it then. It sounded like a bag of nails. Funny thing is I picked up a 'History of Electric GGuitars' type of book in a charity shop and it was in there and the finish was original! lol