Underated Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Snap said:
    Some of my favourite players aren't rockers. I'm interested in people who play a bit differently, so

Bernard Sumner
    John McGeoch
    Johnny Marr
    Vini Reilly
    Robin Guthrie
    Josh Homme
    Tom Morello
    Peter Hook - yes bass strictly speaking, but he's more of a lead player, 6 string bass too, often
    Bill Nelson
    Richard Hawley
    John Squire

that'll do for now
    @Snap - the only name I wasn't familiar with on the was Richard Hawley.

So I've been listening to his stuff since you posted that and love it.

Thank you so much!  RH has another fan.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    edited October 2015
    samzadgan;836654" said:
    Philly_Q said:

boogieman said:

Thing is, Hendrix playing live was shambolic a fair bit of the time. I know two guys who saw him play in the UK when he first came over, both said he was far too stoned to play decently. One of them even walked out of the gig, it was so bad. I do wonder how he would have developed as a player once he sorted out his personal and business life. Maybe the drugs were what fired his genius though?

But then you read those stories about the likes of Clapton, Beck and Townshend going to see him and being amazed.  He must have had good and bad nights!

I think any musician who goes out and plays what his feeling that night rather than reciting what he recorded would have good and bad nights...thats just part of the experience of playing that way.
    Totally agree. When he was straight and playing well I dare say he was utterly untouchable. I remember watching A Film About Jimi Hendrix and Townsend saying he virtually wanted to give up guitar after watching Jimi play.

He was very inconsistent though, probably some of that was wanting to push improvising things as far as he could. Sometimes it was amazing, other times it was a mess. Some of it was because he was bored with being expected to play Purple Haze and hump his amp at every gig so he put zero effort into it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22896
    Philly_Q said:

That said, I remember seeing Ritchie Blackmore with Rainbow many years ago and being pissed off that none of his solos were even remotely like the records!
    Was that during the 80s when he tried his hand at being a tuneless shredder? Listen to some his live work on the '87 Deep Purple tour for further evidence of this. For a guy who made his name being something of a melodic virtuoso, it's a pretty hard listen at times
    One time was at Donington in 1980, the other would've been a little more recently than that.  Do you think he was trying to shred?  I never thought of that, I just thought he was being lazy - or uninterested.  But yeah, for a guy who played such memorable, melodic solos on record it was disappointing that he didn't even try to reproduce the best bits live.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Grunfeld said:
    Snap said:
    Some of my favourite players aren't rockers. I'm interested in people who play a bit differently, so

Bernard Sumner
    John McGeoch
    Johnny Marr
    Vini Reilly
    Robin Guthrie
    Josh Homme
    Tom Morello
    Peter Hook - yes bass strictly speaking, but he's more of a lead player, 6 string bass too, often
    Bill Nelson
    Richard Hawley
    John Squire

that'll do for now
    @Snap - the only name I wasn't familiar with on the was Richard Hawley.

So I've been listening to his stuff since you posted that and love it.

Thank you so much!  RH has another fan.

no problem! He's a cracking player IMO. My favourite album of his, is Standing At The Sky's Edge. His "rockiest" and most psychedelic album. I sat next to him in the pub only the other week, a very normal fella, it seems. He lives round here. My other famous neighbour (well, that's stretching it to be fair) claim to fame is Phil Oakey. He is a thoroughly nice bloke too. Still a cool dude as well, and again, very normal.
  • Simon McBride must be worth a mention. 

Anyone who hasn't come across this guy yet should search you tube for "down to the river". Great player, great track. 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Kebabkid said:

Carlos Rios (played with Lionel Richie) but his guitar work with Gino Vanelli on the Brother To Brother album was fantastic.
    Once had a cup of coffee with carlos a splendid chap and  fab player, also got a guided tour of his then rig ( bradshaw switching system etc )  and an invite to lunch ....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Marshall_stax;840570" said:
    Simon McBride must be worth a mention. 

Anyone who hasn't come across this guy yet should search you tube for "down to the river". Great player, great track. 
    I saw Simon at a PRS event at Tone World about three years ago.

If you're into Gary Moore/Bonamassa-esque players, he's great.
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited November 2015
    Charles Moothart from 'Fuzz' and also plays in the 'Ty Segall band'

The new 'Fuzz 2' album is fresh out, and his playing style and fuzzed out sound is really interesting. British 70's inspired sabbath/blue cheer worship.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Thread resurrection ..

The guitarist Hendrix said was better than him .. Terry Kath of Chicago .. fast forward to 2:57 ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I know he's s huge star, but I think Neil Youngs playing is so unique and expressive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Parker said:

James Dean Bradfield and Steve Craddock.

I agree Brian May is underrated to a point....or more uncool perhaps? But he is phenomenal in technique and playing. Orchestrated guitar parts - play them to 'normal' people and explain that's a multi-layered guitar and they suddenly 'get it'. Pioneering in so many ways. Many people love to knock him as a badger-saving, star gazing pop guitarist. There is a reason player-players such as Satch, Vai, Slash, Grohl and Beck love him!

Came here to post him. So will add Alex Turner from arctic momkeys
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    I know he's s huge star, but I think Neil Youngs playing is so unique and expressive.
    It's certainly unique  :#
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    edited April 2017
    The Edge. A player so under-rated, many "good" guitarists don't think he can even really play at all.

And yet, I've never seen a single "good" guitarist ever play one of his songs properly, let alone do this...

He has a unique and extremely precise timing and feel, and if you think he can't play without a delay you should really listen more closely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    The Edge. A player so under-rated, many "good" guitarists don't think he can even really play at all.

And yet, I've never seen a single "good" guitarist ever play one of his songs properly, let alone do this...

He has a unique and extremely precise timing and feel, and if you think he can't play without a delay you should really listen more closely.
    Your clip has come up as an image, not a video (on my device, anyway).

Don't disagree with you on The Edge, though.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    edited April 2017
    RocknRollDave said:

Your clip has come up as an image, not a video (on my device, anyway).
    Thanks - fixed it I think!

If not it's New Year's Day, where he's playing the guitar and the piano parts at the same time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Nice try, but that can't be U2. "Bono" isn't wearing sunglasses and "The Edge" hasn't got a hat on!  ;)

FWIW I totally agree, I suggested The Edge when the thread was first started and got LOL'd!
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    edited April 2017

Saw Frost last night.

John Mitchell - never listened to him before, except on Falling Satellites.

He's rather good, actually. As in - I need to go & practise

Apologies - I hadn't seen Bucket's earlier comments & subsequent mini-thread.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
    The Edge's playing in that video is pretty cool but I spent most of it laughing at how uncool bono and clayton are. Bono looks like he ended up on the stage after getting lost on his way to the shower and clayton looks like the mindless jock from any 80s teen movie. 

I know fashions change but I refuse to believe that was ever a good look for anybody. :-D
  • Page Hamilton of Helmet. Jazz trained, he brings something unique to rock/metal guitar, some of his solos bordering of free jazz/avante garde.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    As I've been listening to little but The Ruts for the last few days I'm nominating the late Paul Fox. Very tight rythmn style, capable of some very tasty lead playing and the band were much more stylistically varied than I'd imagined. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.