Underated Guitarists

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I don't know about underrated but perhaps more forgotten would be the mighty Grant Green.
    He died in the late 70's, originally an RNB player who went Bop and then back to RNB.

Check this out- it is amazing stuff:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited April 2017
    Was listening to Weezer on the way into work today and realised how much I like the lead guitar playing on the blue album. Not sure which guitarist in the band does them but they're great.

Edit - seems like it was Rivers Cuomo who did all the guitar on that album. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Was listening to Weezer on the way into work today and realised how much I like the lead guitar playing on the blue album. Not sure which guitarist in the band does them but they're great.

The little fill in Buddy Holly makes me grin every time i hear it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    TTBZ said:

I'm on a Weezer fest at the moment, learning a few songs and they're pretty straightforward but that's where the trick lies. There's a lot of simple but effective stuff, the solo in Say It Ain't So for example. 
     Rivers did most of the guitar stuff on the first few albums as he was still controlling just about every aspect of what they played. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I love that little lead fill in the 2nd verse of Say It Ain't So as well.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I have posted this many, many times before:

• StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    I know I've had a choice or two on this thread, but the post-Robin Trower guitarists from Procol Harum deserve a shout. Dave Ball, Mick Grabham and Geoff Whitehorn are all great players. Although Procol is a predominantly keyboard led band, there are some fantastic guitar playing on all their albums.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11773
    Tim Wheeler from Ash.
    I love Tim as well, great player and a superb songwriter :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Kevin Cadogan, ex-guitarist from Third Eye Blind. Most of you will only know them for their late 90's smash "Semi Charmed Life" but their first two albums (before he was ousted, because the lead singer is a douchebag of Axl Rose levels) has some of the best and most creative guitar work of the time and he's one of the reasons I picked up guitar. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    viz said:
    Jake Willson! Superb. Check this all you melodic jazz fusion fans:

A heads-up, Jake Willson has 96% of his funding campaign sorted but only 1 day left! 12 quid will secure you a copy of his CD, just letting all you supporters of under-rated but awesome guitarists know ...

If you want to support him and put in a deposit, here is the site: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jake-willson-s-debut-album-guitar#/backers

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @Kebabkid has already said it but seriously, he deserves a post of his own - Ian Thornley.

Great songwriter, great singer and FUCK what a great guitarist.

Always has a really lovely tone no matter what gear he's using, and has such a tasteful sense of melody. He also studied jazz at Berklee and has chops to spare. This solo at 3:20 is really, really something.

This is killer too - the bass player also gets to show off. He is killer.

I want them to come and play in the UK. Please please please.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Nuno for definite, 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    Looking at the above postings I think there are some great nominations there - Some I feel are regarded as great players by those who know of them, yet unknown by many, like Michael Landau, so not sure they qualify for under-rated but more unknown - maybe same difference

But here is a great nomination for you - Glen Campbell - check out the following from around 1.27

I could add more like Steve Stevens - Part of me thinks Rory Gallagher should be more well known than he is/was but I think he liked it that way

• DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    I always enjoy listening to Huey Morgan from Fun Lovin Criminals - has some great chops, uses space well and always delivers live... I'd love to spend a few hours in his company with a guitar, an amp and a bottle of tequila...

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    Don Felder from The Eagles deserves a mention - many of the great licks and solos from the One of These Nights and Hotel California albums are from him + a few others
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    TTBZ said:

I've said it before on here, but people need to check out the solo in cleopatra. It's amazing 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Graham Coxon (solo and Blur). Seen him live a few times and the guy's a fantastic player. Check out the solo on Blur's This Is A Low if proof were needed.
  • Probably not as well known but I'm going to say the late Michael Caswell. I was very fortunate to be taught by Michael when I went to ACM for 4 years. The man had it all, touch, tone, timing. Any sound you wanted on the guitar, he could produce. Whether it was funky chord voicings, modal shredding, whammy bar goodness or straight up 16th funks, he could do it. 

• Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 982
    edited August 2017
    Grunfeld said:
    Snap said:
    Some of my favourite players aren't rockers. I'm interested in people who play a bit differently, so

Bernard Sumner
    John McGeoch
    Johnny Marr
    Vini Reilly
    Robin Guthrie
    Josh Homme
    Tom Morello
    Peter Hook - yes bass strictly speaking, but he's more of a lead player, 6 string bass too, often
    Bill Nelson
    Richard Hawley
    John Squire

that'll do for now
    @Snap - the only name I wasn't familiar with on the was Richard Hawley.

So I've been listening to his stuff since you posted that and love it.

Thank you so much!  RH has another fan.

Have you listened to standing at the sky edge? Incredible record. 

Edit - oh. I've just seen @snap recommending this album.... anyway its great. Have a listen if you haven't already. I believe he played some good stuff in the Longpigs but I haven't heard them.