The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 308
    We all got to start somewhere, Sunday felt as tho' I had never been on a bike before, I did 28 miles today 13.5mph av felt much better
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    Did my first 40+ miler of the year yesterday. A bit jelly legged up the inclines and my legs were definitely running out of steam toward the end but it was good to do a few decent hills and mileage. I think I'll have a day off today though:)
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Outside yesterday for a change; after a winter spend on Zwift I need to remember a few basics. Just stuff like not riding into hairpins at 50kph without slowing down and going round other cyclists rather than through them when overtaking.

Just minor stuff really.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    drofluf said:
    Outside yesterday for a change; after a winter spend on Zwift I need to remember a few basics. Just stuff like not riding into hairpins at 50kph without slowing down and going round other cyclists rather than through them when overtaking.

Just minor stuff really.

Yes it does help ..... =) I got a tidy 34 miler on Saturday, ......it is getting easier
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Question for proper cyclists.

My bike has a handlebar+stem setup like this:

I'd like to raise the handlebars by a few cm to see if it will stop the shoulder ache I get after 2-3 hours. But looking at it, I suspect that I need more of the ring/spacer things. Anyone know?

(I don't have a torque measuring thingummy either.)
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 33
    Hi, your stem is already at the top of your steerer tube, so your bars will only go higher with an adjustable stem like this; https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/deda-elementi-adj-adjustable-stem/rp-prod158477

You can try a shorter stem if you are too far away, (this will quicken the steering a little) or you can get more extreme angle stems, but they look silly. 

However, bar height alone may not fix your issues. This may be worth a read. https://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/neckpain.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    As @Siejen says you can’t raise your bars any higher but a shorter/steeper stem may help. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, guys. Would handlebar ends be a useful thing to do instead of the adjustable stem (or as well as)? 

I'll take a read through that website on posture. For sure, something's not right.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    It might be worth trying some Ergon bar ends, as they'll give you a different position, without the unsightly tree catching full bar ends.

Quite often just having somewhere else to put your hands to change position can be enough to alleviate pain. I know I'll often move hand position if I've been stuck in the one position for a while. On the road bike that can be switching between drops/hoods/tops, or on the mountain bike just riding a bit more upright with the hands on the centre of the bars.
    Changing hand positions may help. Can you post a picture of you on the bike in your riding position?
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    goldtop said:
    Thanks, guys. Would handlebar ends be a useful thing to do instead of the adjustable stem (or as well as)? 

I'll take a read through that website on posture. For sure, something's not right.
    See if there's anyone local that can do a bike fit. It's honestly the best money I've ever spent. You don't need to pay hundreds of pounds for a fit that includes body mapping and all sorts of nonsense. But if you have any British Cycling qualified coaches who might offer it, it's worth looking at. 

I'm lucky that we have a British Cycling chap locally who does it for £35. Sets you up, sticks dots on you, films you with an iPhone app, analyses it and you from different angles. Makes the necessary tweaks, re-films it, and then gives you the two to compare and the difference for me was night and day. I still got a bad lower back on longer rides but that's mostly down to having zero core strength and bad posture - but it wasn't anywhere near as bad. And I also felt more comfortable and like I was able to generate more power and pedal more efficiently.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    One thing I tried with some success years ago was altering the width of the hand grips, when I found a width that I was happy with I got an appropriate sized bar,
  • I would second the bike fit suggestion.  Do check your saddle angle.  If it is flat you might find tilting it back 1 or 2 degrees will rebalance you.  Ideally you shouldn't  have too much weight on your wrists.
    I'll look into a bike fit. Had thought it was more useful to serious cyclists doing 100s of miles a week, not a hobby rider doing a 2-3hr mooch.

The shoulder pain/ache is the same one I used to get when gaming for too many hours in a sitting. When I am riding and feel it coming on, I want to try to sit up more - like kids do when riding with no hands on the handlebars. 
    A bike fit will likely help, but it may just be a case you need to stop occasionally and have a stretch and change of position.

Cafe's make ideal stopping locations (once they reopen!) for stretching :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SUNBATHERSUNBATHER Frets: 85
    Anyone got a tip for releasing a stuck seat post? 
    Fixed up my old bike and it's great now except the seat post has fused to the frame. 

I've tried heating with hot water, prying with flat head screwdriver, bashing it with a hammer and various oils and liquids and DIY old wives tricks. 

My final option is to use a hacksaw and cut it from the inside then crush it, and hope to god that gets it out. 

It's an aluminium frame, if that helps. It's an old Raleigh Max from the 90s

Maximum volume yields maximum results
    Brute force.

Clamp the seat post in a very sturdy vice, and use the frame to try and spin the frame on the seat post. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to cut it out.
    edited March 2021
    joneve said

I'm lucky that we have a British Cycling chap locally who does it for £35. Sets you up, sticks dots on you, films you with an iPhone app, analyses it and you from different angles. Makes the necessary tweaks, re-films it, and then gives you the two to compare and the difference for me was night and day. I still got a bad lower back on longer rides but that's mostly down to having zero core strength and bad posture - but it wasn't anywhere near as bad. And I also felt more comfortable and like I was able to generate more power and pedal more efficiently.  

Who did your bike fit? I haven't got around to having it done yet?
    Not used him myself but https://theseatpostman.com/ has been recommended on cycling fora. 

I’ve also had some success using a plumbers pipe freezing kit https://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-products-pipe-freezing-kit-150ml/433fj