The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot
1454647484951»

Comments

• TTBZ said:
    You might be able to just send back the freehub and swap for the correct one which is easier than sending the whole set of wheels! Haven't done it on Hunt wheels but on Hope hubs at least it's an easy job to swap it. 
    I hope your right.... that's made me feel a little better. Hopefully Hunt will be agreeable to a swap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    Finally got the linkage plates back on the short travel full sus today, and the brakes rebuilt.

Stripped, dumped in ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes, blown out with compressed air, sat in front of the heater for 10 minutes to fully dry, and reassembled with new seals and Hope's new stainless pistons.
    Got them bled, then discovered the new fork is 180 post mount whereas the old one was 160 post mount, so I need a new adapter for the front brake :/

Also got the new rear mech on, and the new gear outer through the front triangle, but I need to remove the cranks to get access to get the cable through the chain stay, and I've still never bought a new crank extractor for larger axle cranks.
    I'll go visit the mate during the week, as he'll hopefully have a brake adapter in stock.
    image.png 1.5M
  • Phew… Hunt are sending me the correct freehub and told me to keep the XDR one. Good customer service. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    Phew… Hunt are sending me the correct freehub and told me to keep the XDR one. Good customer service. 

That is, gotta be pleased with that..

m_c said:
    Finally got the linkage plates back on the short travel full sus today, and  then discovered the new fork is 180 post mount whereas the old one was 160 post mount, so I need a new adapter for the front brake :/

Brake is looking good tho'.  
    I upgraded the groupset on a road bike to Shimano 105 only to find the brake arm 5mm or so to short, when I contacted the wiggle thay said I would have to send the whole set back as it came as a package. I scoured the web and found place that sold 10mm brake shoe extenders, they were perfect and save me a lot of hassle.  
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4996
    Ouch! 4 weeks to go until RideLondon, steady state session on Zwift. Think I'm headed in the right direction to get it done.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That long on a turbo trainer would destroy me! 

First ride with the Hunt 40 wheelset and GP5000 30mm tubeless tyres today (I installed the disc rotors successfully). A big improvement from the stock alloy wheels… more responsive.. and yes, faster. Very glad I got them. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 27
    That long on a turbo trainer would destroy me! 

First ride with the Hunt 40 wheelset and GP5000 30mm tubeless tyres today (I installed the disc rotors successfully). A big improvement from the stock alloy wheels… more responsive.. and yes, faster. Very glad I got them. 

Oh yeah, it was not a "fun" training session that's for sure.

Very nice bike, and exactly the same wheels/tyres as I have on my Cinelli! Bloody loud though aren't they?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    Double up on bib shorts to give my arse a chance for that long on a turbo 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That long on a turbo trainer would destroy me! 

Oh yeah, it was not a "fun" training session that's for sure.

Very nice bike, and exactly the same wheels/tyres as I have on my Cinelli! Bloody loud though aren't they?

Yep, very loud. Quite like it though... a satisfying sound 
    edited May 1
    First 100 km ride of the year, 695m elevation.

Good and bad. 

The good, felt pretty good during and after, hopefully bodes well for London in 3 and a half weeks.

The bad, had a mechanical (rear mech cable retaining bolt decided to disappear after 60km), so had to do do the last 40km with only 2 gears, 34*11 or 50*11! Thankfully wasn't a very hilly route. Remind me of this day if I ever mention going singlespeed, lol.
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    Singlespeed = The wrong speed.  =)
    Only thing worse is fixie.
    m_c said:
    Singlespeed = The wrong speed.  =)
    Only thing worse is fixie.

Absolutely. =)

I now have to try and source an Ultegra 8020 cable retaining bolt and doodad to fix my Synapse's rear mech sharpish. I could switch out the mech from the Cinelli if need be (same mech), but that would be a pain. Hopefully my LBS can help me out.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3707
    I like the simplicity of single speed; less maintenance and no constant fiddling to find the right gear you just work with what you have. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1778
    That long on a turbo trainer would destroy me! 

Whilst they may be more responsive and faster you forgot to mention that the big plus point of them looking badass!
    Good job on doing the rotors too.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    edited 6:32AM
    Anyone have/use an ultrasonic cleaner? Is it worth it? I’m interested in the time/effort savings but also in the requirement to have a fully dedicated piece of kit in the house dedicated for bicycle grime. Do you keep it filled with the same cleanser for weeks on end reusing it? New every time? 

Can it be used for other things like rings or jewellery? Or is it forever grimy? 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited 7:07AM
    drofluf said:
    I like the simplicity of single speed; less maintenance and no constant fiddling to find the right gear you just work with what you have. 
    This, I live in a pretty flat area so it forces me to put in more effort on sections where I'd just change to an easier gear and spin. We don't have big steep climbs so they can be attacked. So long as you get the right ratio (48-16 for me) for where you ride it's all good. I liked it on road where I was riding purely for exercise rather than fun, almost makes rides a bit of a HIIT session not sure about it for MTB as the terrain is too varied and the climbs are just a means to an end. Saying that I'd love to build a proper singlespeed "park" DH bike for push ups/uplift days they look so clean and are nice and quiet. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    @TTBZ I've always been surprised that more downhill bikes are not single speed... just getting rid the rear mech would be one less thing to break.
  • A single speed would be impossible or torturous round here.. I use the largest gear on my 11-34 frequently 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited 9:27AM
    @TTBZ I've always been surprised that more downhill bikes are not single speed... just getting rid the rear mech would be one less thing to break.
    I've noticed a lot of the bikes in the Fest series and Rampage type of events are singlespeed now, basically just huge slopestyle bikes with plusher suspension. Once you get going there's not much pedalling involved I guess and there are better options for full suspension singlespeed tensioners now, though they still attach to the mech hanger. For racers I think maybe it'd be too compromised for those marginal gains on pedalling sections.