The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5052
    Shit just got real! :o

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So, I "may" have splurged a bit on my bike for RideLondon. Bought a(nother) pair of Hunt Carbon Aero 40's, this time for the Cannondale Synapse to replace the stock alloy Fulcrum 900's. Getting them with fitted 32mm GP5000S tubeless tyres, 160mm Ultegra rotors front and back, and an 11-34 cassette. No chance of anyone not hearing me riding up behind them next Sunday! ;)

Training is going OK, nearly done with the Zwift 8 week plan: another 50 minute HIIT session done today. One more of them and then a 3 1/2 hour zone 2 interval thing on Sunday or Monday then taper. Been doing 3 sessions a week on top of 4 days a week commuting and done a few IRL 100Km rides, averaged about 90 miles a week for the last 2 months so fingers crossed.

Switching to the 38cm bars has been a game changer though, first 100Km ride with them was so much better than the 42's, hardly any discomfort at all versus a lot of stress and even pain with the old bars. Seriously, measure your shoulders!

Piccy's of the new wheels in-situ asap :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 313
    So, I "may" have splurged a bit on my bike for RideLondon. Bought a(nother) pair of Hunt Carbon Aero 40's, this time for the Cannondale Synapse to replace the stock alloy Fulcrum 900's. Getting them with fitted 32mm GP5000S tubeless tyres, 160mm Ultegra rotors front and back, and an 11-34 cassette. No chance of anyone not hearing me riding up behind them next Sunday! ;)

Training is going OK, nearly done with the Zwift 8 week plan: another 50 minute HIIT session done today. One more of them and then a 3 1/2 hour zone 2 interval thing on Sunday or Monday then taper. Been doing 3 sessions a week on top of 4 days a week commuting and done a few IRL 100Km rides, averaged about 90 miles a week for the last 2 months so fingers crossed.

Switching to the 38cm bars has been a game changer though, first 100Km ride with them was so much better than the 42's, hardly any discomfort at all versus a lot of stress and even pain with the old bars. Seriously, measure your shoulders!

Piccy's of the new wheels in-situ asap :)

Pleased the training is going well. Don't forget to "save" some energy for the ride lol.

Having the correct width bars makes a huge difference
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jaycee said:
    Pleased the training is going well. Don't forget to "save" some energy for the ride lol.
    Oh yeah, of course.

After next Monday's final session I will do absolutely nothing until the ride, except a quick leg stretcher the day before.

And eat pasta like it's the pandemic all over again, haha!  =)
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3047
    edited May 18
    Another first crossed off the list today, my first group ride. It was a ‘social’ spin with the local group. A fairly leisurely pace for the others, but the fastest ride I’ve ever done… could keep up but not on the climbs, after which we re-grouped... but there was no pressure and very friendly and supportive group.

They showed me the ways of group riding and getting the benefit of the slipstream. A gorgeous day and two cafe stops, thoroughly enjoyed it. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3806
    Another first crossed off the list today, my first group ride. It was a ‘social’ spin with the local group. A fairly leisurely pace for the others, but the fastest ride I’ve ever done… could keep up but not on the climbs, after which we re-grouped... but there was no pressure and very friendly and supportive group.

They showed me the ways of group riding and getting the benefit of the slipstream. A gorgeous day and two cafe stops, thoroughly enjoyed it. 
    Sounds like you’ve found a good group. Once you get your confidence in a group it’s great. Even better when you have a “no-drop” group. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2628
    I've been getting out more often this year after a few years when my mileage dipped. I'm enjoying more or less alternating between gravel rides and road rides. The local area is brilliant for both. Yesterday I headed up on to the moors near Blair Atholl - what a great day! It was almost too hot and there was no mud anywhere - almost unheard of!!!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @ewal what a lovely place to cycle
    Jaycee said:
    @ewal what a lovely place to cycle
    Absolutely is. Especially when you don't need to concern yourself with what layers you need to take! Shorts, short sleeve jersey and off you go!
    Well, here we go! Train to London tomorrow and the 100 mile ride on Sunday. Won't deny I'm slightly apprehensive, but I think I've done enough training to get it done.

The weather looks fucking attrocious though, haha, but I've been over Hartside Pass in biblical rain when I did C2C so I'll suck it up if needs be. Packed arm and knee warmers, a gillet, toe covers and my trusty Shakedry.

Wish me luck, and say a prayer to the weather gods for me, lol.

And of course I inevitably have the begging bowl out, so if anyone does want to contribute to my chosen charity MacMillan, link below. No worries if you can't, I know we're all struggling right now, but massive thanks if you can

@littlegreenman ; Enjoy the day, I am certain you will.
  • Good luck tomorrow @littlegreenman ;

I’ve just ridden my longest ride yet, 80km. I’ve signed up for a 100km sportive in Anglesey which takes place in July, so that’s my target. 

I feel good post ride and not in pain. I’ve invested in new Assos bib shorts and an Ergon saddle… all backside pain I was getting have gone which makes the ride much more pleasant. 

Rode the Mawddach Trail for the first time, a cycle path along the river from Barmouth to Dolgellau.. very nice path and gorgeous scenery 

edited May 25

Cheers chaps, weapon of choice for tomorrow. 2023 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, upgraded wheels to Hunt 40's with GP5000 32mm and Easton bars. Full Ultegra mechanical 11 speed.

Mudguards from the commuter added as it is forecast to rain, a lot!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1784

Cheers chaps, weapon of choice for tomorrow. 2023 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, upgraded wheels to Hunt 40's with GP5000 32mm and Easton bars. Full Ultegra mechanical 11 speed.

Mudguards from the commuter added as it is forecast to rain, a lot!

That bike looks like a proper weapon, I get you’ll have an awesome time and I’m sure the atmosphere will be electric!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1784
    @MagicPigDetective that route looks beautiful, I really need to get myself over to Wales for a decent amount of riding.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2920
    Nice to get out exploring some different bridleways for a couple of hours today. Would have been better off on a gravel bike for most of it but still! Hope to get a road or gravel bike again within the next couple of months as it's more suited to riding round Northants - MTB always feels like a slog for little reward!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 27

Turned out the weather forecast was totally wrong, for my ride at least. We had one 10 minute monsoon 25 miles in, and pretty much sunshine all day! 
    Timing chip was start to finish and doesn't take into account one delay after some poor bugger was hit by a deer! We were stopped for about 45 minutes as the ambulances came and treated him then off to hospital, hope he's OK. Another woman was hit also but managed to finish with just bruises.
    So my actual time was about 7 hours dead for 103 miles and just over 1500m of climbing, which I'm  more than happy with 
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well done, was waiting for the post, how did you find it? I bet you wondered what you were worrying about lol