Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rough gigs

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

Sound engineer can at least buy the desk - cos effectively that's their instrument. I get paid to mix but I bring the desk & iPad 

I also patch in the mic leads, IEMs  \ monitors \ wire up the stacks \ router etc. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Too many rough gigs growing up in the Valleys to count. Luckily I was given some good advice by my old man whose band I was playing in. "When a fight starts, keep playing, you are not in fight, stop playing and you will get clobbered". 
    Remember playing a wedding where brides father was strangling groom on the stage, literally trying to kill him, until someone hit him with a chair. 
    Another, where all the miners kicked off a free for all, tables, chairs, bottles everything was going on when someone shouted stop, and everyone had to look for some blokes ear that got ripped off. 
    As a 16-17 year old playing in a country band it was quite scary. 
    1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3043
    I've done more gigs as an engineer than as a musician, and have been fortunate to never have any really bad experiences.

Had one guy get on stage while we were doing a changeover and grapple with my assistant while I was FoH. He damaged the drum git, as I recall. He ran away when I approached, and I chased him out of the club.

The most physical anything has ever got was at a council-organised event for "the kids". A few of them had one too many shandies and got a bit boisterous on stage. I asked them politely to get off but they didn't so I physically picked one up and threw him over the monitors. The rest left fairly quickly after that. :)

R.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Update... 

Sound didn't really need to be manned.... but despite that bassist's girlfriend got the same cut as the rest of us, despite us doing all the hard work practising every week. Going to hit the nail on the head this Wednesday about that.

Also, rhythm guitarist bought the PA and bassist put us on the spot last night to pay for some of it. I already spent £8k on gear! It wasn't a band decision to buy but it's a band decision to pay? Also, do we all now own a bit of it or is that a lifetime rental cost? I'm going to hit the nail on the head there, too.

It sounds like the bass player is the cause of both problems. 

Paying his girlfriend a share if she didn't really do anything is not on. Either she's a full member of the crew and does her share of the work, including set-up/take-down etc, and works the desk properly, or she's just a hanger-on and shouldn't be paid.

I would also say that if you weren't party to the decision to buy the PA and they went and did it without consulting you, it's their PA and you shouldn't contribute to it. This will also mean they don't have to pay back your share when you find a less difficult band to work with...

If refusing to roll over on either count precipitates you leaving the band, so be it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2015
    It's going to end up me leaving at some point but I'm really trying to make it work. 
    I mailed the bassist about the PA and he said:

"Yeah we were all put on the spot. You'll make your £8k up soon"

What sort of answer is that? He is the one that put me on the spot, and he's as much said I can pay for my own gear!! Totally not on! It's a principle thing.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Mad rockett deflection is usually my job
    They seem to think they can stare their way into our singers knickers which is fine but when the get within pawing distance I tend to make my presence known
    I had one Welsh guy shoving his hand down the front of his trousers ... Had the bouncers remove him but generally they step back or fuck off
  • Are you a big guy, @Cabicular? ;
    Pretty creepy seeing the leering guys....
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Big enough for these twats
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol :D 
    Seriously - if your gear gets damaged in a situation like that - I wonder if insurance covers it... doubt it...
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2015
    Wow lol!! 
    (Just watching your promo vid again - very cool)
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited October 2015
    The first gig I played, my nose got post-gig punched . I didn't even do anything thing wrong. It was to front man who could not sing. Also it wasn't as if it was the girlfriend of the bloke who punched me. That's High Wycombe for you!

FFS, the blood was everywhere. It drowned my ciggy.

I would like to point out that it was someone's girlfriend, but he was away at uni. I'm not a complete idiot.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • From last night: 

Us at practice the week before: 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    We generally avoid the really rough venues because we can get as many gigs as we want without them. However I've still had a few violent gigs, including a fight between bride and groom at an expensive wedding location. On Friday we are at the Paddock in Derby, which is usually pretty safe, but last time there was a girl on girl stabbing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Used to play in a lesbian pick-up joint in Durban and often saw seedy antics taking place on the bar top, other women cheering them on.
    Pix!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    From last night: 

Us at practice the week before: 

why are there a couple of extra girls stood reading a novel while you're gigging?    They look to be a bit in the way while people are watching the band ;-)       

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • !! Serious - do the song sheets detract or not? I'm not a fan but have said that before... 
    Lol...
  • !! Serious - do the song sheets detract or not? I'm not a fan but have said that before... 
    Lol...
    I'd say it looks a bit crap.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Exactly what I thought... and one of the points I made when I had that big tiff... too much of a crutch!
  • They could always colour the lyric book pink and suspend it just below head height to make it more inconspicuous.