Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rough gigs

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20;806444" said:
    F*** knows... he'll be there 10am - 3pm but include set-up time, chat, lunch etc.... I'll say 3 hours recording time. Only meant to be doing two songs initially but what if he lays something down and it's just wrong.... you can't just lay bass down - surely bass & drums need to be done at the same time (unless he's going by a click). The whole point of this was to get a professional sounding demo we can hand over to pubs but this isn't professional. I can bring a bass if need be. Can you play bass?? We're recording ACDC's "Shook Me" and Janice Joplin's "Piece of My Heart"
    My prediction is you'll just be getting the drums right around 2 and starting to record proper takes. If it was me I'd be cancelling until *all* of the band can be there for *all* weekend.

I've wasted so much time and money doing half-assed stuff like that over the years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • what happens if his bit isn't done in time?
    same thing that always happens, guitarist records the bassists parts...duh...its like a time honoured studio tradition.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Which is probably the first step towards replacing your bass player, and his girlfriend. You'll have plenty of time to discuss with the rest of the band over the weekend

Moe_Zambeek said:My prediction is you'll just be getting the drums right around 2 and starting to record proper takes. If it was me I'd be cancelling until *all* of the band can be there for *all* weekend. 

If you can cancel without losing any money then I would do just that.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

It will probably be fine. In all the recording sessions I've done for covers bands in this scenario it's  basically set up in a hour or 2 hour tops, track the band looking for good takes of drums, bass and guitar (only really using scratch vocals as a guide so people know where they are in the song) and then do vocals, backing vocals, guitar solos and any additional stuff after

If he  doesn't need to be there for vocals and solos then should be fine
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Music stands are all right but that bright pink one with giant pink folder on it looks shit if I'm being honest. 

One of these would look much better

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Danny1969 said:

It will probably be fine. In all the recording sessions I've done for covers bands in this scenario it's  basically set up in a hour or 2 hour tops, track the band looking for good takes of drums, bass and guitar (only really using scratch vocals as a guide so people know where they are in the song) and then do vocals, backing vocals, guitar solos and any additional stuff after

If he  doesn't need to be there for vocals and solos then should be fine
    Danny,  I suspect you're talking about a more experienced and organised cover band than the one Thomas is describing - I have no doubts he can walk straight in and lay down his parts in no time but the rest of the band sound a bit of a shambles - could lead to a thread about rough recording sessions ;-)  
  • :D 
    I wrote  a huge reply earlier but deleted it. 
    In short, the drummer and I have had pretty much enough. 
    This Christmas it may very well be our last gig with the band.
    Just hope this thing with the new singer works out. If not, I'll miss regular practices but I'm sure I can move on to something else (maybe move on with my life, as such)
  • With a committed drummer and guitarist and an experienced vocalist you should be able to find a bass player easily. You'll be well shot of that shower.
  • Fingers crossed regarding the singer - we've got two hours booked on Thursday - self-taught singer (but sounds great) and taught guitarist - could get away with a 4-piece! I was annoyed today as main singer was backing up the bassist (they work together) when a few months ago she never sent one email when I said I was thinking about quitting. 
    We're just going to play the quiet game and tell them we're quitting one practice before the Crimbo gig. Shame as there will be collateral damage and we're paying for this bloody demo!
  • What sort of stuff are you planning g with the new band?
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2015
    TBH I'm going to use a lot of our current set-list... also going to see what the new singer likes to do. She does a good version of "I Just Want To Make Love To You" off the Cola adverts! If we go more pro and do weddings would even learn chart tunes lol... I'm hoping we can do a few more rockier ones. Also a few acoustic tunes I have on hand (La Bamba, More Than Words, etc).... AND maybe write some of our own. Lots of ideas so need to just take it easy and see what develops.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    Thomas

Stop and think about quitting, yeah you might be pissed about some stuff but at present you are out and gigging, learning, developing your stage craft, in the shop window etc. Your what 30 now  ? and only got about 100 gigs or so under your belt ? A guy with your ability should have done a 1000 by now. 
    Don't walk away until your new band is up and gig'ing or that will be another year wasted :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    What sort of stuff are you planning g with the new band?
    I so wanted the answer to that to be djent.  B-)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Etta James. Etta James. ETTA JAMES. Cola adverts, harrumph... :|
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Djent!

Danny, I know what you're saying... Guess I'll see how it goes but can't say I'm pleased about a whole bunch of things. See how it goes the next few weeks
  • Had the sesh with the new singer last night - she's good and can also play good guitar. Just need to get a bassist who can do some vox and that's a 4-piece!
    Drummer is eager to quit current band and I won't have time for two so see how it goes...
  • !! Serious - do the song sheets detract or not? I'm not a fan but have said that before... 
    Lol...
    it removes the interaction with the audience which is usually what the singer is all about. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Danny1969 said:
    Thomas

Stop and think about quitting, yeah you might be pissed about some stuff but at present you are out and gigging, learning, developing your stage craft, in the shop window etc. Your what 30 now  ? and only got about 100 gigs or so under your belt ? A guy with your ability should have done a 1000 by now. 
    Don't walk away until your new band is up and gig'ing or that will be another year wasted :)
    I would argue that doing something your heart isnt in and feels like a chore isn't worth pursuing. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I'm not 100% on quitting and there would be collateral damage. 
    Been forced into this (e.g. bassist's girlfriend issue, for one) yet if I mention it, I'll be the bad guy. Too much drama. 
    TBH I'm going through a general lull just now - this has been consuming my life and I can't be @rsed!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    You're too good for them. Get your new band started and f*** them off.. that bass player is tekkin the pee big time. Life's too short to mess about.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom