Fractal FX8 users question

What's Hot

Comments

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    edited January 2016
    The big thing for me (on fx8 vs helix) is that I would happily use either in preference to a pedal board, and before hearing them I was totally down the Gigrig G2, boutique pedals, tube amp route. Modelling has come an awfully long way since I last tried it and I don't think I'll be going back to pedals any time soon. Big question is whether to keep the amps or go FRFR with the helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    kjdowd said:
    The big thing for me (on fx8 vs helix) is that I would happily use either in preference to a pedal board, and before hearing them I was totally down the Gigrig G2, boutique pedals, tube amp route. Modelling has come an awfully long way since I last tried it and I don't think I'll be going back to pedals any time soon. Big question is whether to keep the amps or go FRFR with the helix.
    I've been down the FRFR rabbit hole- in my opinion it isn't there yet for the 'amp in the room' thing.
    Axe FX is great for recording but I use the FX8 with a real amp.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    octatonic;950824" said:
    kjdowd said:

I've been down the FRFR rabbit hole- in my opinion it isn't there yet for the 'amp in the room' thing.Axe FX is great for recording but I use the FX8 with a real amp.
    I'd love it to work for the convenience but have a sneaking suspicion you may be right. Gonna give it a go though
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Unless you do what I'm doing which is XLRs to FOH stereo and 1/4 out to atomic reactor 1x12
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7346
    has anyone got the whammy sounding decent? Mine is always very warbly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    has anyone got the whammy sounding decent? Mine is always very warbly.
    Pitch source set to global?

I drop the mix level to about 20%, set pitch source to local, put the high cut around 4k.
    Seems fine.
    This is kind of what turns me off about it though
    Cabicular said:
    This is kind of what turns me off about it though
    What does?
    Having to do stuff ;)
    edited January 2016
    Cabicular said:
    Having to do stuff ;)
    LOL.
    Well, I take your point- it is more complex than other multi-fx units but not overly so- I prefer to think of it as powerful, rather than complex.
    Pitch local/global is actually a useful parameter to have control over, if you have high CPU usage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm finally up to date with V3beta- I had it installed before but hadn't had much of a chance to get to grips with it.
    Wow- what an update.

I've got Scene 1/2 toggle and Scene 3 on the first two footswitches, set globally.
    I've got Compressor Drive, Delay and Reverb on footswitches 3/5/7/8, not set globally but all my patches have these blocks.
    This leaves me with two more footswitches that shift depending on the patch- Footswitch 4 is usually pitch but sometimes synth. Footswitch 6 is modulation (chorus/flanger/phaser/rotary- I only ever have one per patch).
    It also frees me up to be able to have wah and volume in the patches but not assigned to a footswitch.

They did a tremendous job on this update.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds 'kin great to be honest. If they could find the time to model my rotobone and xts multi drive I'd buy one in a flash!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9573
    edited January 2016
    "Model my Rotobone..."

Now there's a challenge ! One of THE best pedals out there, imho.

Bear with me, i'll try to do that...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    i spent 20 minutes with my EVH Phase 90 and the FX8 side by side matching up the pedal, and i got it so close that i can't tell them apart. The FX8 has so many parameters you can edit that you can vastly change the core sound of any effect

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9573
    i spent 20 minutes with my EVH Phase 90 and the FX8 side by side matching up the pedal, and i got it so close that i can't tell them apart. The FX8 has so many parameters you can edit that you can vastly change the core sound of any effect

@moltisanti - and that is the great aspect of the FX8... I was briefly (15 mins ?) this morning attempting to model the Caroline Meteore that I have.

And I got pretty close. I'm not historically a tweaker AT ALL (!!!), but this unit is expanding my knowledge and thought processes. It must be similar, at times, to what a designer/pedal creator goes through.

What settings will reproduce the sounds that I am after ?

The FX8 almost always seems to be at unity volume somehow, and this makes the whole process so much easier.

you're right., and it's easy to take that for granted, but i suspect that a lot of the purchase price is making that piece of magic happen

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7346
    How much do these end up costing in gbp? I've been running the axe ii in 4cm for effects only and it sounds amazing, but a pain to put the axe with my combo amp. Can't put it on top because that's where the cables come out.
    I think I paid around £1100- it fluctuates with the exchange rate, but not much.
    snap

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Has anyone changed the way they organise pedals now you can pretty much assign them to anything?   

As I've got a gig free weekend I might update mine and I was thinking about having 4 presets clean, low gain rhythm, mid/high gain rhythm and lead across the bottom with 4 scenes on each adding in combinations of modulation, delay and wah.   So with two clicks I can hit any one of 16 setups but that default scene as the most likely combination.