Fractal FX8 users question

What's Hot

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    No hype from me dude, it was big money but I also had a 30 day returns policy, I knew what I wanted it to do and it did and it's stayed..

Wouldn't defend anything if it was shite..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    edited January 2016

When we all pay big money for something we are bound to defend it and insist its awesome etc. 
    I'm going to answer this- the cost of the FX8 is, frankly, a bargain- it isn't a lot of money for what it does.
    I've spent thousands more in the past trying and failing to get something this good.
    It isn't hype- at least not for me.

There is simply nothing that integrates as well as the FX8 with a tube amp.
    If there was then I'd be using it.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    I am intrigued by the FX8. The one sticking point is the size.
    It seems massive compared to my m9 and it only offers 2 extra presets. 

Is it that much better than the old line 6 m series sounds?

Jack, honestly mate, comparing the M series to the FX8 is laughable. It really IS that superior... And I was surprised at the size, as I thought it would be much bigger.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    definitely does depend on what you want. 
    I would love a multi that did it all as lugging a pedal train pro can be tedious. 

but I guess I am trying to gauge whats legit and whats hype etc. 
    When we all pay big money for something we are bound to defend it and insist its awesome etc. 
    I bought an FX8. It is simply awesome, and I've never tried a multi-fx that I like. The quality of the effects is superb and it integrates incredibly well with a tube amp. If that is what you are looking for, there is nothing better. I got it on the Thurs, retired the pedalboard Friday and gigged it on the Monday night. Fantastic. 

I'm not defending it because I want to justify my purchase 'cos I moved it on. Swapped it for Waz's Helix for the simple reason that I just don't get to plug into an amp much and something that would work for me live (prob FRFR, though played the Helix through my Two Rock tonight and it was immense) and at home on headphones would be a better fit for me. If I could have got my hands on an AX8 I would, but the Helix does for now. The Helix - to my ears, and without the luxury of A/Bing - doesn't sound as good as the FX8, but  it is still a fantastic unit and will get a lot more use in my situation.

If you want FX into the front of the amp, though, go FX8. Bloody amazing and changed my mind on multi-fx and modelling overnight.
  • I am intrigued by the FX8. The one sticking point is the size.

Jack, honestly mate, comparing the M series to the FX8 is laughable. It really IS that superior... And I was surprised at the size, as I thought it would be much bigger.
    I hear you, but I know that little unit punches above its weight, even now. 

Would you be that confident with an A/B test Warren?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    Waz how is it behaving with your amps ?

Waz how is it behaving with your amps ?

Yet to try it in anger really mate... Except thru the Rambler. Sounded amazing.

You know, I plugged it in and messed about for 5-6 mins. Banged the looper on, dropped a reverse track over some chords. Instant Beatles, and sounded incrdeible !!

In a way, I want to be so wrong about this. Ive got a Salvage Custom peodalboard (whch I adore) on its way... But this really could be the end of so many of my pedals.

I am intrigued by the FX8. The one sticking point is the size.

I hear you, but I know that little unit punches above its weight, even now. 

Would you be that confident with an A/B test Warren?

VERY confident Jack. I reckon ive owned everything Line 6, and I rate them actually. But, man, this FX8 is very mpressive. It seems to be just so versatile, with a great work flow... And Ive absolutely no idea what im doing yet...
  • cool, I will be round for tea and crumpets then Waz :-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    You would be very welcome my friend :)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    @meltedbuzzbox
    It took a lot to pry my M13 off my pedal board
    Main features were ease of use sounds and workflow (especially with the expression pedals, the M13 is still the one to beat as how it handles them)
    FX 8 is smaller than an M13 but bigger than a M9. The drives are fair to good. The delays are nice and the reverbs are great. The modulations are a bit up and down. (Lol) but 8 simultaneous FX and a well thought out 4cm and relay switching (depending on your amp)
    Is it better than the M13
    Yes
    Is it easier to use
    No (unless you plug in a laptop)
    Is it £600 better than an M13 .... Tentatively
    Yes

That's as objective a review as I can give

Have I retired my M13?
    Yes but I've replaced it with the Helix
    Main reason is the workflow. The fractal is just too finicky and I hate having to attach computers to things just to avoid me scrolling through pages of values

• @Cabicular

thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. 
    Its good to hear certain things. Like for instance I rock a single channel amp so stuff like relay switching etc means nothing to me really. 

The one thing that really squeezes my nuts with the m9 is using multiple effects at once. If I try to turn on 2 effects at once I have to plan ahead of time and assign them to 2 specific switches or I will engage the tuner/scenes/config menu. 
    There is nothing worse than engaging the tuner when the guitar is meant to be playing by its self in a section breakdown

have you got the FX8 and the helix then?

The one thing that really squeezes my nuts with the m9 is using multiple effects at once. If I try to turn on 2 effects at once I have to plan ahead of time and assign them to 2 specific switches or I will engage the tuner/scenes/config menu. 
    There is nothing worse than engaging the tuner when the guitar is meant to be playing by its self in a section breakdown

This is why scenes kick ass.

• I have scenes, they come on when I press two buttons at the same time :-S
    Yes and it is a simple on off for 8 Fx plus each effect has a second version you access by holding the pedal
    I use that a lot more than I thought I would

eg drive 1 Crunch Y position More drive more volume
    Delay 1 400ms mix 20% Y position 800 ms mix 40 %
    It really makes the unit very flexible

The Helix though
    I have one big patch that gives me 10 buttons
    Klon (which is on all the time so I might take the button away Gain .5 volume high clean boost
    phaser
    King of tone through 1 of the ext loops (switch off for clean)
    Next switch is a toggle between 2 Drives stacked and the King of tone labelled Crunch-Drive. Then I have a chorus and a flanger on a momentary switch. A pitch whammy which jumps an octave when I hit the foots witch and finally delay and reverb

I should do a video of what I've set up for both units
    I have scenes, they come on when I press two buttons at the same time :-S
    :)
    With scenes I can switch from a clean rhythm with chorus and reverb to a drive sound with a short delay to a lead sound, channel switching the amp, with a longer delay and a phaser.
    No delay in switching, it is just immediate.
    This is just 3 scenes- there are 8 that are available.

I see you are in Northants- if you fancy a trip down to West Ox to check out the FX8 you are welcome.
    The scenes are a really good feature of the FX8
    If I could combine the best bets of all of these devices .....
  • octatonic said:
    I have scenes, they come on when I press two buttons at the same time :-S
    :)
    With scenes I can switch from a clean rhythm with chorus and reverb to a drive sound with a short delay to a lead sound, channel switching the amp, with a longer delay and a phaser.
    No delay in switching, it is just immediate.
    This is just 3 scenes- there are 8 that are available.

I see you are in Northants- if you fancy a trip down to West Ox to check out the FX8 you are welcome.
    I may very well take you up on that sir if you have some free time at some point
  • Cabicular said:
    The scenes are a really good feature of the FX8
    If I could combine the best bets of all of these devices .....
    you'd have a Zoom 505? :-D
    A what now?