Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tonight's song requests were...

What's Hot

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Last function gig we went in with a short Spares list of likely requests, sure enough the 11 year-old whose birthday it was wanted 'Firework' by Katy Perry, and was placated with 'Roar' which we had as one of the spares.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    At a couple of the pubs I've played at reasonably regularly we've done 'tennner in the charity box and we'll do any request after the break'. Memorable successes under this system have been American Pie, Perfect Day, and Thunderstruck.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2015
    ...The Verve, y'know The Verve (?); Valerie, by Amy Winehouse; Brown Eyed Girl. So, err, what in the preceding ninety minutes of ska and reggae songs lead you to believe we know these..?
    The guitarist from the Verve lives in my town now and his son plays with mine in the under 7s Rugby. Him from the Verve is the miserable sour faced person you will ever see. That's all really.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Grunfeld said:
    We were asked for Elvis.

I wanted to say "Elvis has left the building" but didn't.
    give them watching the detectives...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

We were asked for Elvis.

I wanted to say "Elvis has left the building" but didn't.

give them watching the detectives...
    Now that we could have done!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    bigjon said:
    At a couple of the pubs I've played at reasonably regularly we've done 'tennner in the charity box and we'll do any request after the break'. Memorable successes under this system have been American Pie, Perfect Day, and Thunderstruck.
    Damn fine idea. Relies on a bloody big repertoire though!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Don't mind requests as I'm perfectly comfortable saying 'Nah'.

What pisses me off is the 'more more' at 00:40, when I've taken me strap off and unplugged, and then fckn pussies are givin it "What shall we play?"

I'll tell ye what we'll play, fck all. It's past time, the guitar is in the case. They've had their worth for £50 a musician. :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    rsvmark said:
    bigjon said:
    Damn fine idea. Relies on a bloody big repertoire though!
    None were from the repertoire, just worked out a rough version during the break & dialled up the lyrics on my phone (I've got a mic-stand phone holder)
  • We have a 50' and 60's rock & roll band.

A couple of weeks ago, a girl came up to us (while I was in the middle of a Buddy Holly chorus) and asked if we knew the Benny Hill theme. 

I thought I'd misheard, but no, during the break she came up and asked again.

I kid you not....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    I would launch into a ska-metal version of Agadoo anytime someone asks for a shite song.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ...The Verve, y'know The Verve (?); Valerie, by Amy Winehouse; Brown Eyed Girl. So, err, what in the preceding ninety minutes of ska and reggae songs lead you to believe we know these..?
    The guitarist from the Verve lives in my town now and his son plays with mine in the under 7s Rugby. Him from the Verve is the miserable sour faced person you will ever see. That's all really.
    That's Nick.

Lovely Bloke. I met him in a mutual friends flat in Islington in 1999.

I am sure one of our members here bought a guitar from him last year and posted the picture here ?

I don't mind requests on the rare occasions i play proper gigs because i'm more used to Jam Sessions than anything else and i'm the one who will keep playing past 'Time' if the venue will allow it, mainly because i love being there myself and if the crowd want to hear more then i want to keep playing. I do concede though that this is mainly because i don't play live as much as i would like to. If i was in a regular working band, i would probably end up where @Jd0272 is and pack up when the 'Bell Goes', so to speak.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I was in a swing/jive band once doing a wedding party for what turned out to be the local scrap dealers, a family of Irish psychos.
    A nasty little runty guy appeared at my elbow mid song, beckoned me down to his level and whispered "play some fockin' U2". I told him we didn't know any (which should've been obvious from the style of the band) so he said "yes you fockin' do now fockin' play it".

Luckily he was distracted by a massive brawl kicking off at the back of the hall, and we ended up breaking the gear down and scarpering. Ah the joys of Knighton, proper border bandit country.
  • Saturday's was Summer of 69. Given the poor turn out I was tempted to see if I could drag it from my memory as he had at least turned up. I just think people must have such low expectations of bands that they don't understand why they don't get the same dozen songs over and over. :(
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410

Typically a punter comes up to me "whats in the next set mate ... any Northern Soul, any Jamiroquai ? " 

I just smile and say don't worry mate there's some gold in there

Worse request ever when we were very young - Play something you know!

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    We always seem to get the same chuffing songs being requested....:

- Sweet Home Alabama
    - Anything by The Specials
    - 9 to 5
    - f*cking Oasis sh*te

If they can't take no for an answer, the singer has become a deft hand at agreeing, then announcing "This is a song by Oasis" before we carry on with the set as normal (we especially like busting out the Judas Priest numbers instead).

• FarleyUK;982345" said:
    We always seem to get the same chuffing songs being requested....:

- Sweet Home Alabama- Anything by The Specials- 9 to 5- f*cking Oasis sh*te

If they can't take no for an answer, the singer has become a deft hand at agreeing, then announcing "This is a song by Oasis" before we carry on with the set as normal (we especially like busting out the Judas Priest numbers instead).
    As about 50% of our set is Specials covers send those ones our way - although you'll get the people wanting The Verve in return.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We do Sweet Home Alabama, plenty of Oasis and a Specials song....can we have your audience?

...although we did once get asked "do you do any Rihanna?"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Perhaps the government could run some sort of clearing system for people who have gone to the wrong gigs. Want Brown Eyed Girl? You should be at your cousin's wedding and not the thrash metal gig somebody at work persuaded you to come to. Requesting Don't Fear the Reaper? This is a Bob Marley tribute night so we are going to swap you with the bemused middle aged rasta currently not enjoying a classic rock night.
    Money spinner that. B-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_dj;982360" said:
    We do Sweet Home Alabama, plenty of Oasis and a Specials song....can we have your audience?

...although we did once get asked "do you do any Rihanna?"
    You know I have to ask... Which Specials song?
  • Got asked for Smalltown Boy once at a wedding. At first we thought they meant Don't Stop Believing by Journey, in that way that people get song titles wrong  ("Just a smalltown girl, living in a lonely world....") but no, he expected a four piece, two-guitar line-up to play Bronski Beat.

Not a song I dislike, I would add, but equally not a song I know all the guitar parts to either...