Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Another music pub closing - you know why don't you?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    Danny1969 said:

At every gig people will shout for Mr Brightside or Sex on fire, that's what they want to hear and they want to hear it like the record because they want to dance and singalong with the version they know, not some clever version that's gonna catch them out. 
    I probably go to different pubs to you but in my experience the people shouting out the most in pubs are the people you should be listening to the least. 
    Give em what they want mate, that's what keeps them coming and that's what keeps me earning
    I love those 2 songs anyway so it's not exactly a hardship to play em :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    For me the roots of the problem go right back to the punk/post punk era....With punk and post punk came the idea that if you were going to be creative you had to write your own material from the off, and cover bands were a bit naff... IMO cover bands have never recovered from the stigma cast over them at that point.  

Interesting take on it.  It sounds right as it happens. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
     The reason punters don't generally care about originals bands is because they don't know any of the songs, and it becomes just a wall of sound with no reference points. 
    Actually I think the reason most punters don't care for "originals" bands (and I use inverted commas around orginals as very few "originals" bands I've seen play anything remotely original, although personally I rather it be good than original) is that the songs aren't very good, and often the band isn't very good either.

Virtually all the great bands started out playing tons of gigs, playing other peoples songs, learnt their craft and developed their own style, eg the Beatles and the Stones. If you are playing a set of great songs by other artists then your songs need to be of comparable quality.

Unfortunately these days we are blighted with bands who have never learned to play properly or write songs, but somehow feel they are morally superior to bands playing other peoples songs, and feel aggrieved that no-one is interested in what they are doing.

I do agree that there is a complete lack of imagination in covers bands. It seems that they don't play songs they like, but ones they see other bands playing.

There are 1000s of great songs out there that I have NEVER heard a band play in a pub.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2015
    That's the problem with YouTube guitarists, too - there are some technically astounding players of whom I'm envious but they're just playing rote guff, or parroting lines to some fusion chords in the background. The difference between them and greats is writing your own good material and marketing your brand (your band image etc).