Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

London break

What's Hot

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 453
    Or a visit to Kew, combining a trip to Chandlers with Kew Gardens.  I bumped into Phil Lynott up in Kew one time, but as you'll guess that was some time ago.  Not sure of the location of the Chandlers shops now, as there is Chandlers and CCGX, but when it was on place I think it was right near Kew Gardens.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11636
    tFB Trader
    Chandlers is still there on Sandy Combe Rd...near Kew Gardens. CCGX is closer to Kingston.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11920
    Got to visit Hawkmoor !!! Spitafields or Seven Dials.
  • Thanks for all replies, still have to catch up on them sorry - but appreciated (and I will read through them)
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I like to go see the pelicans in St James' Park when I'm there.
    My V key is broken
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    Anyone done the IMAX thing?

We're off for a night or two in town in a few weeks, and I'm looking at IMAX in a nice big comfortable seat for £20 with an unhurried meal after, or some sort of "show" in a cramped uncomfortable worn-out old seat in a dilapidated theatre with a rushed meal beforehand for £70-odd.

Done plenty of shows, so don't tell me that it's all about the atmosphere!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • £20 for IMAX!? Jesus! Well cheaper to see it up here
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    £20 for IMAX!? Jesus! Well cheaper to see it up here
    Trouble is, the train fare to get up there offsets the saving in IMAX cost.

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • *faints* :)
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    TTony said:

We're off for a night or two in town in a few weeks, and I'm looking at IMAX in a nice big comfortable seat for £20 with an unhurried meal after, or some sort of "show" in a cramped uncomfortable worn-out old seat in a dilapidated theatre with a rushed meal beforehand for £70-odd.

Forget the IMAX - this looks like the place @TTony ;http://www.electriccinema.co.uk/portobello
    Stop crying, start buying
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    London, the UK's most fun city by a mile. Go for a nights clubbing in Brixton amd widen your cultural horizons...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    edited November 2015
    Moss;851966" said:
    TTony said:

Forget the IMAX - this looks like the place @TTony http://www.electriccinema.co.uk/portobello
    The Electric is just an ordinary screen though. It is a very nice place, granted, with massive seats and a bar and decent snacks but if you're wanting a totally immersive film experience you can't beat the imax. Having said that it does need to be a blockbuster film or something that really kicks ass in 3D to get the full benefit. I saw Avatar there and I wondered if it was the same film when I saw it in 2D, the imax 3D even somehow covered up Sam Worthington's awful acting.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I like Hawksmoor, the price will have Tommy fainting again though!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27230
    edited November 2015
    IMAX is amazing and worth every penny, because everyone paying that kinda money actually wants to see the film and enjoy the comfy seats, which means they all actually sit and watch the film rather than just texting and throwing popcorn like cheap places. 

Also, IMAX screens are brilliant. Avoid 3D though, it's distracting/headache inducing and just an excuse to increase prices.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • If you want cheap cinema tickets go to camden, my and the gf payed 3 quid each, 6 quid for students (tenner for adults) combined with meerkat movies (which you can get for 2 quid and lasts a year)

defenatly worth it, the cinema at the end of oxford street wanted 24 quid each and wouldnt accept meerkat movies for the same film that we went to see in camden

I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    lloyd said:

Send him to Nobikov or whatever its called on Berkley Square (The Oligarch eating hole opposite Nobu). That would have a ten paragraph rant on here by tomorrow morning. 

If I was after a meatfeast in London though their are two places I'd go to. One is the Guina Grill in Matfair and the other is the Smokehouse in Islington. Spectacular slow smoked prime cuts of meat really do it for me.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Evilmags said:
    lloyd said:

Send him to Nobikov or whatever its called on Berkley Square (The Oligarch eating hole opposite Nobu). That would have a ten paragraph rant on here by tomorrow morning. 

If I was after a meatfeast in London though their are two places I'd go to. One is the Guina Grill in Matfair and the other is the Smokehouse in Islington. Spectacular slow smoked prime cuts of meat really do it for me.
    Anything beyond £40 for a dish is totally wasted on me. 

Smoking, drugs and hard liquor have dulled the palate somewhat. I can appreciate luxury booze but food once past a certain price/quality point hits a plateau.

The atmosphere and service tends to put me off too. Constant folding of my napkin and calling me sir turns me right off.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Ah London... Heading down there from Leeds also in December... Gutted that I will be missing Hyper Japan which is late November but am sure we will have a few good days down there meeting up with friends we do not see so often.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    If it is raining and freezing cold, take the Underground Central Line from Oxford Circus to Shepherd's Bush and go to the Westfield Mall, a minute away from the station exit. 

The train ride time from Central London is about 15 minutes.

It is beautiful in there, expecially with the Christmas decorations up, and they are open until 10:00PM.

It is a huge mall where one could easily spend an entire day browsing around the stores.  

There are lots of restaurants and bars.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited December 2015
    OK I need to read this thread from start to finish when I get back later. 

Plan to see a bunch of Museums (British Museum, maybe the Science Museum [though I've seen loads of these, like in Munich) etc. 
    --> What are THE best museums?

Has anybody tried these live action escape/puzzle games??

There appear to be a few old-fashioned electric cinemas - might try one...

Food tour looks GREAT but pricey....

Jazz/blues bar hopefully. 

Portobello Road / Notting Hill. But not if the weather is crap, which it looks to be (same goes for London Tower). 

Sky Garden Camden Lock Market? 

Oh, and I will follow up Drew's suggestion of Flat Iron for a steak!