Which drummers 'serve the music'?

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6209
    miserneil said:
    Simon Kirke
    Oh yep @miserneil, can't believe I didn't mention him.  Funny thing is though, his style is not showy, but is so unique that he really defined the music of the bands he was in.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31030
    edited November 2015
    So, second page and no-one has mentioned one of the greatest of them all.

Sugarfoot (Jonathan Moffett) Michael Jackson's musical director? (which really says everything you need?)

He is incredible. And visually the coolest ever.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickLNickL Frets: 153
    Actually I'm struggling to think of well known/ pro bands where you think FFS sack the drummer.
    Metallica?
  • JezWynd said:
    Keith Moon. Not a choice that springs immediately to mind perhaps but his playing was a large part of what defined the Who's sound.
    At least the second mention of Moon in these parts in recent days. I was listening to Live at Leeds earlier and some of the drum work is pretty shoddy ( I'm going to get shot for this I know). I think he was good at serving the song because he took cues from the vocal melodies but left to do drummy bits ( technical term) on live versions ( like Young Man Blues) revealed his limitations. I think the great drummers served the song and then showed they could be flash bastards if called for. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16306
    edited November 2015
    NickL said:
    Actually I'm struggling to think of well known/ pro bands where you think FFS sack the drummer.
    Metallica?
    For possibly the biggest rock band in the world it's suprisingly hard to find anyone who rates their individual members ( ie members of the band, not their penises). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8496
    Imagine what a laughing stock they'd be if they hadn't produced a few good albums under intensely controlled studio sessions with an expert team of producers and engineers round them to present them in the best possible light.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2173
    See I like showy drummers. I love Jimmy Chamberlain, Clem Burke, Copeland, Bryan Mantia and Brann Dailor.

I'd have been such a naff drummer.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • NickL said:
    Metallica?
    For possibly the biggest rock band in the world it's suprisingly hard to find anyone who rates their individual members ( ie members of the band, not their penises). 
    I dunno you hear rightfully a lot of respect for James Hetfield, obviously Cliff Burton is idolized. I actually think Jason Newstead was seriously good too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Ringo Star, Jim Keltner, Bernard Purdie, Colin Allen, Clayton Fillyau, John ‘Jabo’ Starks, Clyde Stubblefield, Melvin Parker ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3073
    NickL said:
    Metallica?
    I dunno you hear rightfully a lot of respect for James Hetfield, obviously Cliff Burton is idolized. I actually think Jason Newstead was seriously good too.

And while he may not be technically gifted, don't forget that Kirk wrote the riff that has become the modern equivalent of Smoke on the Water.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Drummer and bassist lay down the foundation of the song. Anything else and you have no music.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6556
    edited November 2015
    Steven Adler on Appetite For Destruction

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Disagree re Copeland, Peart and Moon. Don't dislike any of them or their playing, just don't feel they are the kind of selfless drummer that fits in this thread. Just my two cents!
    I'd say that Peart in particular is possibly one of the best examples there is of a drummer who does what is needed for the song, rather than his drumming - every hit, roll and fill has a musical place, and fits the arrangement perfectly to fill out the sound of the three piece yes still leave plenty of space for all the other instruments.  It's always interesting hearing him when he's not playing with Rush, as he'll happily sit back there in the pocket and do exactly what the song requires, even if that's sitting there playing a basic backbeat.

Copeland is very much the same - I can't imagine any other drummer being able to do what he did in the Police yet stay as restrained and tasteful as he did.

Moon was just a freaking monster, but then so were the rest of the band, so it kind of worked perfectly. :D

Also +1 for Nick Mason in the earlier Floyd days and Phil Collins.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Stewart Copeland...restrained?!

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    edited November 2015
    RocknRollDave said: Stewart Copeland...restrained?!

Compared to what he
    could have done with all that space he was given, yes - most drummers would have made most Police albums essentially one long drum solo. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5750
    In no particular order I would choose:
    Stewart Copeland 
    Ash Soan 
    Ian Thomas 
    Marco Minnemann 
    Pick Withers

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2392
    Brian Downey and +1 for Simon Kirke and John Coghlan.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2940
    Lars Ulrich. And I'm not even trying to be funny.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chap out of Black Crowes...Steve Gorman, is it?

Cracking stuff. Nice groove and swing to his playing, but never trying to break out to the front of the stage, metaphorically speaking.

• Larry Mullen Jnr, not a fan of U2 but he did some great work on Emmylou Harris wrecking ball album in 95