Which drummers 'serve the music'?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• DanchiDanchi Frets: 25
    Always liked what Matt Cameron did. Subtle differences to what i would've thought a 'normal' drummer would play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danchi;1103413" said:
    Always liked what Matt Cameron did. Subtle differences to what i would've thought a 'normal' drummer would play.
    Did?!? :-O

Wisdom'd. He's rock solid & plays appropriately every time, whether rocking with Pearl Jam or grooving with Soundgarden.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6527
    Nerine said:
    Matt Sorum on the UYI's and VR stuff.

....is horrid.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6162
    Another great example...  Here a cover of Steve Gadd's drumming on Aja by Steely Dan.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I reckon Mitch Mitchell of Hendrix Experience fame is a great example. I'm not convinced that Hendrix could have done all he did without the rhythm foundation of Mitch's drums and Noel Redding's bass.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited June 2016
    BigMonka;1107251" said:
    I reckon Mitch Mitchell of Hendrix Experience fame is a great example. I'm not convinced that Hendrix could have done all he did without the rhythm foundation of Mitch's drums and Noel Redding's bass.
    I've always felt in the whole of rock music, that those two least deserved to be referred to (or revered) as a 'rhythm section'.

If they had had the ability of Bruce and Baker, I reckon Hendrix's records would have been vastly better.
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    I've always though the late Nick Menza was an important part of the Megadeth sound I liked as a teenager.
    Nikko McBrain also an integral part of the Maiden sound.
    As well as Vinnie Paul, I'd have to say Joey Jordison did something interesting and musical with Slipknot where other metal drummers can sometimes be less imaginative.
    Also agree about Foot and Jeff Porcaro. I'd add his replacement in Toto, Simon Phillips too.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6162
    I've never been a Maiden fan, but Nikko McBain is a superb drummer. His work on the early Pat Traver's albums is a tight and funky as feck.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Bernard Purdie is the man.... but did he serve the song? - I am not sure.... he definitely added something in my view. 

I think Charlie Watts is a good shout and Topper Headon - they both nail their bands sound down.....

Ultimately though, for sticking to the other players like glue it has to be Reni of the Stone Roses...... listen to Daybreak or Love spreads he is so incredibly ON the bass line and guitar....