Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Great songs with terrible solos

What's Hot

Comments

• worst pop song solo of recent years was rihanna's california king bed. big cheesy ballad and then….that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always thought that it was quite funny that Van Halen's most popular song (jump) needs the synth to drive the song and even worse features a really dreadful guitar solo. Not Eddie's finest hour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Elx said:
    ICBM said:

Not sure about Here I Go Again (can't quite remember what the solo is like), but Is This Love has definitively the worst clean and worst distorted tones ever recorded, in the same song.
    ...and the worst snare drum sound ever!
    CSHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m gonna resurrect this thread...

Slide It In by Whitesnake.

Great song. A nice AC/DC style riff, a driving rhythm and David of Coverdale on top form vocally.

The solo though? Solo by numbers over a chord progression that sounds like Anyway You Want It by Journey. It’s almost like it becomes a different song, like the soundtrack to a DFS sale advert.

Then after the solo, the song kicks back in and sounds good again.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Jimi Page could have a lot of mentions in this thread..
    Whereas i would have said the opposite. Whatever you think of Jimmy as a live player, and later on when the booze and smack kicked in he was a bit all over the place, his studio solos are pretty fucking bob-on most of the time. Well thought out and always go somewhere.

But then im a massive fanboy i admit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22798
    I’m gonna resurrect this thread...

Great song. A nice AC/DC style riff, a driving rhythm and David of Coverdale on top form vocally.

The solo though? Solo by numbers over a chord progression that sounds like Anyway You Want It by Journey. It’s almost like it becomes a different song, like the soundtrack to a DFS sale advert.

Just listened to it, I've never heard it before.  I got the first few Whitesnake albums in the '80s then abruptly stopped, I don't remember why.

It does sound like Any Way You Want It!  Just reading up on it, the US version of the album had new guitar parts by John Sykes.  No idea which version I was listening to.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited October 2019
    Philly_Q said:

Just listened to it, I've never heard it before.  I got the first few Whitesnake albums in the '80s then abruptly stopped, I don't remember why.

It does sound like Any Way You Want It!  Just reading up on it, the US version of the album had new guitar parts by John Sykes.  No idea which version I was listening to.

I had a listen to a track I found on Youtube and the solo sounded OK. In fact, better than the rest of the song. Although I can see that's possibly an argument for it not being in context with the song :)

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited October 2019
    Philly_Q said:

Listening to the US version, that sounds about right - I can hear Sykes all over it and the solo is different. Less solo by numbers, but maybe the chord progression just doesn’t do it for me - makes it sound an entirely different song and not for the better. I think the guitars on the original mix were likely Mel Galley and Mick Moody.

Interestingly, the US mix of Love Ain’t No Stranger has the same solo, but the rhythm parts are beefed up - Sykes again by the sounds of it.
  • "Something" by The Beatles. Amazing song that deserved a much less clumsy solo.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    57Deluxe said:
    just listen to the bollocks that this solo is!

Bet you never noticed before???
    Never mind the solo, I'm more enthralled (well, aghast, actually) at the standard of choreography back in the Sixties.

I'd rather listen to the solo again, as it actually fits the song, however dire it might be. But that dancing/set piece in the follow on-clip.... blinkin' flips!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2019
    I love RATM and Tom Morellos playing, but sometimes the solos in his other projects just don’t fit and I always wonder if the rest of the band were all rolling their eyes in the control room whilst he was fucking about with it. Original Fire by Audioslave being one that springs to mind. Not a great song anyway but the solo is just bad. 
  • TTBZ said:
    I love RATM and Tom Morellos playing, but sometimes the solos in his other projects just don’t fit and I always wonder if the rest of the band were all rolling their eyes in the control room whilst he was fucking about with it. Original Fire by Audioslave being one that springs to mind. Not a great song anyway but the solo is just bad. 
    I was going to say Like a Stone by Audioslave. Beautiful song ruined by a car alarm going off at the 3 minute mark. 
    https://youtu.be/7QU1nvuxaMA

• RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Incredible intro, great song, dreadful solo: Sweet child 'o mine (Guns n Roses)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    axisus said:
    I always thought that Whitesnake's 'Here I go again' was a cracking song. It builds up beautifully to that great high note from Coverdale and then ......... what a lame solo! It needed to rip yer face off but we get two guitars doing this twee melody that sounds like the theme for a programme called Pensioners in the park or something.

Agree? Disagree? got your own nominations?
    I never really rated Marsden & Moody as lead players - a bit bland IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited October 2019
    Good guitar player but that solo is dreadful and spoils the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUa-JsiXT8
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    Li'l Wayne
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    "Something" by The Beatles. Amazing song that deserved a much less clumsy solo.
    Ironically, I read an article once by someone claiming it was basically perfect and every guitarist should learn it!

Opinions eh!

There are loads in here I quite enjoy, I think sometimes we can all be a bit harsh.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Samgb said:
    Jimi Page could have a lot of mentions in this thread..
    Whereas i would have said the opposite. Whatever you think of Jimmy as a live player, and later on when the booze and smack kicked in he was a bit all over the place, his studio solos are pretty fucking bob-on most of the time. Well thought out and always go somewhere.

But then im a massive fanboy i admit.
    I have to say that I think his solos tend to be bloomin' great and fit the song perfectly.
    Free Bird - now that's a solo that's about half an hour too long.

And then there's pretty much everything Neil Young did.

Oh, and don't forget Bat Out Of Hell, but actually the whole song is as annoying as lady In Red.