Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    octatonic said:
    Agree midiglitch.

Well, I had an amazing day yesterday.
    Went out for a London Bikers ride-out- there were 5 of us on 4 bikes- Ace Cafe to H Cafe for lunch and then back through the twisties.
    For the first time I was keeping pace with the other people on the ride- there were a couple of places that I couldn't quite hang (being on a naked bike over 70 isn't fun) but otherwise I think I did pretty well.

It is all coming together and I'm definitely progressing.
    One of the chaps on the ride-out was surprised when he learned I only started back in December.

Of course I now want a supersports bike (or maybe a sports tourer).
    You and me both, been eyeing up a zx9r, lots of bike for little money and 0 - 60 in under 3 seconds whoooosh.

@midiglitch Do youi have a fender extender on the front mudguard? Sv`s are known for a soggy front plug, I was out earlier and it was on my mind but didnt go too far so got home ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    Love the ZX-9. 

Thinking about another cafe project, fancy a Honda in-line four this time, CB750 or 900...
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    CB750 was the best bike I've ridden. Smooth, comfortable, powerful and rolled around effortlessly. The boss of the training school I was working at didn't want to sell it though :/
    The worst was a CB500 single which surprised me because the CB400 and 500 twins were quite nice - better than the Suzuki GSX500 that was also used for training.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    A motorbike is definitely on the cards for 2015.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    @tone71 that's interesting to know - it's not a problem I've had but worth bearing in mind. I've really fallen in love with my SV - great bikes. I'm hoping I can convince the boss to let me keep it a while when I get my next bike so I have a point of reference/benchmark.  
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2602
    Well I'm sat here after checking the bike over and packing my gear buzzing with anticipation before heading off later to the Isle of Man for the TT. Looking like a wet ride up the M1 and M6. Fingers crossed for a great week!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12462
    edited May 2014
    Have a great time. One of my mates goes every year and says it's a good laugh.
    Thanks, will do. I'm going with my mate who has never been before I am more excited for him!

@midiglitch Have you had a read on here http://forums.sv650.org/ ? Im signed up as citizen, it`s a fairly decent forum with ride outs etc plus someone normally has the answers to most SV problems on there, I just got a couple of indicators for £20, much better than my road battered hanging off ones taped together!

@cruxiform Have a good one, maybe the sun will peek through too.

cheers for that @tone71, not that I need *another* forum to burn time on!...

@fusionista just looking at bikes sorted by distance from me.  When this popped up I thought of you.  Could be a nice little project.

@cruxiform enjoy!  Hopefully you'll get great weather for it and we'll get some decent TV coverage...
    Thing is that Matchless has only vintage value.  It was never a good reliable runner and it won't look better as a cafe.

The idea is essentially to strip back and upgrade rather than change too much, and by so doing produce/reveal something beautiful that is also a daily ride.

With the R100RT all I really changed was the headlamp (and therefore wiring loom) rear seat (and its sub-frame), rearsets, and bars - all the running gear eg exhausts was refurbed, s/s all round. 

Maybe ought to go for something lighter than the CB's next time. Suzuki GS650/YamahaXS650/Kawasaki W650...?
    I just refitted the baffle in my bike and went for a ride.  After my jaunt from Devon to London and back to the new forest I'd taken it out as I really felt anything I could do to draw attention to my presence on the busy motorways would be good.  However, not having been motorway riding since, and with all the old people and holiday makers appearing for the summer I thought it is time to be a bit more discreet again.

Feels smoother, and I know that is deceptive because it basically only sounds smoother, but I'm sure there's a bit more power there too now.  Reason I think so is the front popped up under hard acceleration for the first time ever!

Now, I know when you're middle aged and all settled down you shouldn't really be thinking like this, but I had to follow this incident up... Found a nice long deserted back road and tried getting the front up on purpose.  After a while I got the hang of getting it off the ground.  But so far I haven't figured out smooth landings.  Hurt my balls badly on the last one and brought her home.  Still, pretty pleased with that for today, will work on landings tomorrow!

Be careful!
    My V key is broken
    Ive lost the baffle bolt for my can, so until I can be arsed to buy one its Mr Loud everywhere, can hear it over my headphones!

SV`s are hard to get the front wheel up, I have also done it by accident but think I will leave it to the wheelie school nutters, one of the selling points in the first place for me was the fact that the SV wouldnt wheelie or spin out on the back wheel.
    How easy/hard is it to travel through Europe with a bike?
    My V key is broken
    Not as easy as it is in a car, bus or train.  For a start you can always 'rest up' in a car.  Bikes are - first and foremost - exposed to the elements, the power of which is leveraged by speed.  You need to be healthy, fit and on the ball.  
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12462
    European drivers are far more friendly towards bikers than uk road users though.
    Dunno - I've had my runs-in with French lorry drivers.
    edited June 2014
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looking for a Honda CL400 I've decided. Got the cafe, now for a scrambler.