Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    Mine is off the road at the moment with knackered sprockets and chain, have the replacements but trying to find the time to swap them out is the issue, hate being off the road but don`t really want to take a chance on riding it in its current state.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    midiglitch said:the point being that I practise emergency stops to the point of skidding the front on every single ride and then when that situation arose I was able to brake to the limit of the bikes capabilities AND I didn't have to think about what to do when the front locked up - muscle memory took care of it.
    Wisdom for that.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    edited July 2014
    Fixed the bike yesterday, cant help thinking the front sprocket was a bit worn.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af349/Tone71/10541458_711322272261034_1856622867814750239_n_zpsacec4131.jpg

Anyways fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket and it feels.....no bloody different! Reckon it is from the original being so worn it was about the same size!

Still new sprockets and chain and it is useable again, happy days
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24447
    I miss my biking days.  :(  I now live in the area that I used to regularly ride through when I went for a blast around the country lanes, and often see loads of guys in the summer on their way to do the same - except now my first reaction is "Fucking slow down !  This is a populated village, not Donington !".  The thrill from chucking a fast bike around twisty bends is like no other, and we've got some amazing runs down here.

I've often thought about getting a bike again but always come up against the same reasons against it;

1) I'm a LOT more aware of my own mortality now that I'm a 50 yr old heart attack survivor.  Deliberately increasing your chances of death or serious injury goes against the grain.

2) The traffic these days (and the diabolical driving skills displayed therein).  It's approaching thirty years since I last rode regularly and there are an awful lot more vehicles on the roads now than there was then.

3) The weather.  I'd ignore my first two concerns if we had decent biking weather for more than a few months of each year, but as I live in the wettest city in the UK, any bike I bought would spend almost all of its time in the garage.   ....and then when it stopped raining, I'd just end up getting knocked off by some twat playing with his smartphone.

4) I've already had one serious bike crash and an op on my spine.  That fucking hurt and I still live with the consequences.  I need to protect the bits that are still left working now :-)

Still....  the smell of Castrol R still gets me every time.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    Could not agree more.  Gave up for five years - and then bought an old BMW and did it up.  Off to a track day end of the month in France. As if I hadn't been there done that.  As if I am not already crazy busy. As if there weren't enough other things that need my time, energy and attention. No 'must be' about it, I am stark, staring, certified, mad.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Questions of mortality do cross my mind when I'm riding- it is one of the reasons I am fairly mild in terms of my speed.
    Most people I know who have a serious off have done so when engaged in risky behaviour.

I find I'm happy bimbling along with loads of reaction time.
    I know this doesn't mean nothing will happen but it is an odds game- I'm just trying to tip them in my favour a bit more.
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    good work @tone71 those certainly needed doing!

I found my clutch was slipping and the engine was spinning up a bit quicker than the bike was accelerating.  I feared it would mean new clutch plates but I adjusted the screw on the outside end of the rod the clutch plates are attached to (about a quarter turn back from resistance) and its good as new!  In fact, I think its the best its been since I've had the bike, which feels like adding a few more horses!

I think it was you who has the gopro?  I'm thinking of getting one and borrowed one off a buddy today.  I made a short video from parts of my ride this morning, put to one of our songs, and am fairly happy with it for a first attempted/never done anything with video ever before.

however, as you can see there is some jerkyness and aliasing (i don't know if thats the correct term, but thats what i think its called). This was done at 1080, 30 fps, with protune on.  Any tips on settings that work well for motorbiking?  What have you found to be the best mounting place for the camera?
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Is it better to ride a 125 for a while first or go straight for teh DAS?
    My V key is broken
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    If you've never ridden anything, go for the 125 first. That'll give you a good idea of bike roadcraft and a feeling for whether you actually like biking or not
    boogieman said:
    If you've never ridden anything, go for the 125 first. That'll give you a good idea of bike roadcraft and a feeling for whether you actually like biking or not
    Agreed- this is what I did and as much as I probably would have been fine I'm glad I did a few months on a 125.
    It is usually the more expensive way to do it, unless you can sell your 125 for more than you paid for it.

I found it helpful myself as I bought the bike off season and got pretty much the same money when I traded it in.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    @midiglitch

Nice video, I like that angle, seeing the suspension working. Did it convince you to buy one for yourself?
    yes, pretty much.  Though I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I've spent about an hour just getting my head around the various models.  I think it boils down to getting a Hero 3 black, or a hero 3 black plus if one comes up.

what have you got?
    Nice vid, I like the camera angle shows just how much the front forks are working and as it is so low looks a lot faster.

My mate bought a cheap no-pro (Chinese copy) which is good, can get the name if you haven't already pulled the trigger.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1315
    holnrew said: Is it better to ride a 125 for a while first or go straight for teh DAS?
    Personally, I think DAS is the most sensible option of the two.  Now if you were to say CBT plus further tuition, followed by either a 125 test or DAS, that would be what I recommend.
    For me there is this myth that you're somehow safer on a 125, and being out completely on your own after just half a day sporadically following an instructor is a wiser thing to do than coming back the next day for more tuition on a "big bike".  It's not true.

The important thing is tuition and just because you do DAS doesn't mean you have to take delivery of a Fireblade the following week. You can be reckless on a 50cc moped (just watch the 16 year olds) nevermind something like a YZFR125 if you're a hooligan, limiting your bike choice will not make you a safer rider than good tuition will, and cars hurt just as much no matter what you're on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    edited July 2014
    yes, pretty much.  Though I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I've spent about an hour just getting my head around the various models.  I think it boils down to getting a Hero 3 black, or a hero 3 black plus if one comes up.

what have you got?
    I've got an original HD hero. 3 years old and still records in brilliant quality. The Gopro 3 has all the bells and whistles though if I had the money I'd be tempted to upgrade.
    sinbaadi said:
    holnrew said: Is it better to ride a 125 for a while first or go straight for teh DAS?
    Personally, I think DAS is the most sensible option of the two.  Now if you were to say CBT plus further tuition, followed by either a 125 test or DAS, that would be what I recommend.
    For me there is this myth that you're somehow safer on a 125, and being out completely on your own after just half a day sporadically following an instructor is a wiser thing to do than coming back the next day for more tuition on a "big bike".  It's not true.

The important thing is tuition and just because you do DAS doesn't mean you have to take delivery of a Fireblade the following week. You can be reckless on a 50cc moped (just watch the 16 year olds) nevermind something like a YZFR125 if you're a hooligan, limiting your bike choice will not make you a safer rider than good tuition will, and cars hurt just as much no matter what you're on.

Hmm, what about DAS followed by a 250cc? I'm just concerned about being tall on a 125.
    My V key is broken
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1315
    That's one of the reasons I did das. If you're sensible enough to ask yourself these questions then just do das, get the training and choose the right bike for you afterwards.
    holnrew said:
    sinbaadi said:

Hmm, what about DAS followed by a 250cc? I'm just concerned about being tall on a 125.
    How tall are you?
    I'm 6ft 1 and did ok on a YBR.
    I wouldn't bother with a 250- if you do DAS and have an unrestricted license then get a 500 or 600.
    The throttle goes both ways, just be sensible- keep under 4000 rpm until you have the skills.

As I said above though I am glad I did 3 months on a 125.
    It won't be any time soon, just thinking ahead.
    My V key is broken
    @tone71 yes I'd be interested in the details of your mates camera, I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

sinbaadi said:

+1, have  a wisdom for this. I couldn't agree more. As much training as possible, as soon as possible.