Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I'm still waiting to get my bike. That's my birthday too :'(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    I now have a fully insured motd and taxed bike!

So bought my er5 last Saturday, the previous owner had it sitting for about w years in her garage. So fixed it up.

Got it insured yesterday, had mot booked today, woke up late so they kindly re booked it a couple of hours later. I left half an hour early, to top up fuel and pop some air in the tires, thought "fuck me this rides horribly" seriously, I couldn't corner for shit and had to do corners at like 15 mph in a national speed limit area. Thought it had a dent in the bearing or maybe the top box with the chain in it was throwing it off or something. Seriously, was considering just going home and getting a car, I felt like any second I could fall off.

Got to the air pump back tire was 28 when it should be 36

The front tire was a whopping 5 psi! Got that up to 32 or whatever it is meant to be and it rides like a beauty.

I was going to go straight to the mot place bc I was a bit late but so glad I went straight to the air pump!

Also the mot was only £20, really nice people too.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @MtB loved your Commando :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

@Mkjackary, congrats on getting on the road. :)

Aye, tyres pressures are quite critical on a bike - more so than on a car. In my limited experience, low pressures can feel like the bike is trying to turn itself tighter into the corner and you have to fight it a bit to keep it on line. Get a pressure gauge, keep it in your jacket pocket, and check the pressures often. A decent footpump or uppy-downy stirrup pump is handy as well. With a bike, you have to get past brake discs and have the wheels at the right rotation to get to the valves, so check and adjust at home in one operation. (The discs will also be cold, unlike if you stop at a garage after running for a while to pump up, so no burnt hands.)

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    I have three. Two new and on the road. One in bits being restored
  • Mkjackary said:
    blimey that was alright, had mine a couple of weeks ago and thought the £27 I paid was good.
    edited May 2016
    strumjoughlamps;1070372" said:
    Mkjackary said:

blimey that was alright, had mine a couple of weeks ago and thought the £27 I paid was good.
    "Mot a bike" in colchester, have an online deal where if you book online it is £20 quid. I missed the first appointment and was ten mins late to the second as I got lost (first time on a bike without an instructor behind me!)

And they adjusted the headlight and the controls on the handlebar, didn't charge me any more even though they set the lights up, did the rest, and I was late and rebooked over the phone (so not online anymore). Super nice people, will be going there for anything I need from now on. :)
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    Nomad;1070232" said:
    @Mkjackary, congrats on getting on the road. :)Aye, tyres pressures are quite critical on a bike - more so than on a car. In my limited experience, low pressures can feel like the bike is trying to turn itself tighter into the corner and you have to fight it a bit to keep it on line. Get a pressure gauge, keep it in your jacket pocket, and check the pressures often. A decent footpump or uppy-downy stirrup pump is handy as well. With a bike, you have to get past brake discs and have the wheels at the right rotation to get to the valves, so check and adjust at home in one operation. (The discs will also be cold, unlike if you stop at a garage after running for a while to pump up, so no burnt hands.)
    Yes, going out tommorow so will go via the shell garage and check if it has dropped atall. Luckily they were both in the right spot first time which was lucky.

Man riding feels so good without someone watching your every move!

The trip to Colchester and back is about 15 miles each way. Ended up going north (opposite way from home) to Suffolk then back then to manningtree, just so I could ride for a bit longer. Ended up doing 65 miles in total so more than double what it needed to be :D
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Thanks @Phil_aka_Pip.

I really do regret selling the Commando.

When it had the Anglo Bike Thruxton pipes fitted they used to whistle when the bike was on over-run on a closed throttle. I've never hear that from any other set of "silencers" (and I use that term very loosely :-) )  
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @MtB sometimes I regret selling mine. But it went to a good home, the chap was the president of the Aldershot chapter of the Norton Owners Club, and I accept that I didn't have the time nor the inclination to take care of it as I ought. And now I don't have the income either, so it's just as well.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 411
    Final call for theFretBoard ride-out, 2016. 

H cafe at 10.30 on 15th May
    theFretBoard 2016 ride out. 

Maybe more that 3 of us could get together next time.

Thanks to @octatonic for leading & hospitality (nice man cave) and to @rsvmark for company

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Thanks for coming along folks- it was good fun.
    We should definitely do it again.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31591
    Sorry I missed it guys, though I did have a chance for a quick thrash before a gig yesterday. Maybe I'd better bring something more modern on any Fretboard rides!

http://i67.tinypic.com/15p0ufn.jpg
    I keep saying the same about my wife, but she enjoyed the ride out very much, including meeting @rsvmark and @octatonic and even liked the workshop tour
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Did my first track day/race school experience today.

It was fucking brilliant.
    I'm tired.
    Be careful, track days can be adictive. I did a couple of race schools and then about a dozen track days (Cadwell, Brands, Mallory, Rockingham and Castle Coombe). It all stopped after I had an off and broke my collar bone - due to avoiding a couple of others having a crash.
    It was a lot of fun.
    I'm booking in again next month.

Silverstone is only 10 miles away too.... :)

edited December 2016
    New Bike Day at last.

Awwwssuuummm!   100 mile ride home from the dealership that's 5 miles from where I live...:-)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm up for the next one, where would it be?