Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited June 2016
    I have already decided the next bike I want to own, even though I have another 23 months before I can legally ride it.

I would want the 2017/18 version which looks like it will be an upgrade to 800cc. But daym we make some nice bikes
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    MtB said:
    New Bike Day at last.

Awwwssuuummm!   100 mile ride home from the dealership that's 5 miles from where I live...:-)

Awesome.

How's the wind protection.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited June 2016
    Actually, not that bad - particularly as the riding position tilts you forward. With the screen in the fully up position (as per the photo) it moves the windblast up to mid-face level on me (6ft tall).

It sounds magnificent on tick-over. Roll-on the end of the break-in period..!

I guess as you have also found out, the menu system for control of the bike's parameters is really simple to use - even on the move. Easier I'd say than that of the Multistrada that I had.

Oh yeah, the one thing that has surprised me is how wide the seat rails are - even for me. If I'm sat to the back of the rider's seat I'm on tip-toes to touch the ground.
    Also, obviously as the photo doesn't show, but the bike is wide at the front. I'd imagine with the KTM panniers fitted the back would be as wide as the front.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    octatonic said:
    Did my first track day/race school experience today.

It was fucking brilliant.
    I'm tired.
    Ron Haslams? Good but generally slow. Now do a full track day- you will be utterly buggered after that and I guarantee you will love it! Your road riding will improve as a result as you will know what the bike can do and it will be a lot slower so you can focus on avoiding twats in metal boxes trying to kill you.

Careful though- it's addictive.... And feckin expensive if you lob it!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    Test rode this today.
    Absolutely brilliant bike, I'm probably picking one up.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Test rode this today.
    Absolutely brilliant bike, I'm probably picking one up.

whats the model? I am pretty sure a bloke I met wasn't happy with his so took it to dealer and traded it for a Yammy XT1200 which he is a lot more happy with.. 
    It is R1200RT.
    I had an exhaustive 3 hour test ride today and it was the second time I've taken it out.
    It is perfect for me- I really struggle with wind blast from bikes and the RT is like being cocooned in an ball of clean air.
    And it handles like a much, much lighter bike.

Only downside so far is cost- fully stocked with 3 boxes, audio system and GPS is £19k.
    I'm looking at getting one a couple of years old.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've decided life's too short and I'm going back to bikes.

I had an off thirteen years ago, and getting another one wasn't worth the earache. But now the bike embargo has been lifted, even been given space in the new garage makeover. So, all new kit and on the lookout for a bike.

Love the BMW & KTM above. Really nice. Green-eyed Andy is now pouring over the gumtree and autotrader classifieds.

• octatonic said:
    It is R1200RT.
    I had an exhaustive 3 hour test ride today and it was the second time I've taken it out.
    It is perfect for me- I really struggle with wind blast from bikes and the RT is like being cocooned in an ball of clean air.
    And it handles like a much, much lighter bike.

Only downside so far is cost- fully stocked with 3 boxes, audio system and GPS is £19k.
    I'm looking at getting one a couple of years old.
    yeah that is defo the one, he was sad talking about it as he had BMs for years but he said a couple of months in and it just wasn't what he expected so he took it back and went for the Yammy.

so it might be worth having a test ride if available where you are, just for comparison.
    I've ridden the Super Tenere (XT1200).
    It is a good adventure tourer but it isn't what I'm after.
    If I was going for another adventure bike it would be the GS- it has the fewest compromises.

I'm actually a bit sick of adventure bikes, I've had a couple now and ridden pretty much all of them.
    The lack of wind protection, suspension dive under braking.
    They all do it to varying degrees.

I'm specifically looking of a sports tourer with the emphasis on touring rather than sports.
    Most important thing is comfort as I am doing 12k a year at the moment.
    The RT has the best wind protection of any bike I've tried.
    The electronic screen is fantastic, put it down in traffic for airflow and press a button and it goes up for motorway miles- I can have my visor open with the screen up and it is totally quiet.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited July 2016
    Was thinking about what you say above - that you want more tourer than sports. The industry seems to have taken it that the punters want pseudo trailies for tourers, rather than proper road tourers.

I agree with you on the GS - having had two myself.

Have you tried the ST1300 Pan European? I haven't myself, but I once worked with a guy who did a lot of miles and swore by the Pan Euro.

I don't think that there's anything else about that would do it as effortlessly as that beemer you're looking at. They do GO and handle. I recall seeing (being passed by) one on the french autoroute a few years ago. The guy must have been going close to flat out on it, but it looked steady as a rock - he wasn't hanging around....  
    MtB said:
    Was thinking about what you say above - that you want more tourer than sports. The industry seems to have taken it that the punters want pseudo trailies for tourers, rather than proper road tourers.

I agree with you on the GS - having had two myself.

Have you tried the ST1300 Pan European? I haven't myself, but I once worked with a guy who did a lot of miles and swore by the Pan Euro.

I don't think that there's anything else about that would do it as effortlessly as that beemer you're looking at. They do GO and handle. I recall seeing (being passed by) one on the french autoroute a few years ago. The guy must have been going close to flat out on it, but it looked steady as a rock - he wasn't hanging around....  
    I haven't tried the Pan- it is quite a bit heavier than the R1200RT- about 330kg I think.

So what is the deal with limited edition colours on bikes?
    Is it a case of you lose the extra money as soon as you drive it away or can you command a slightly better price when you come to sell?

Reason being I can't get an RT in the config I want in a colour I want (black or blue) so I either have to compromise on the kit or I have to get it in the very ugly bronze colour.

Or I can get an R1200RT Iconic in candy red for a bit more than a standard RT.
    They look pretty cool- a bit different to the normal bike.
    If I don't go for this one then I have to compromise or I have to wait until September for the 2017 colours (Carbon Black) which is getting towards the end of the biking season (although I do ride most of the year.

This is the Iconic:

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Dunno, but the red looks fantastic
    I agree, it looks great but the bike, even after quite a bit of haggling, is about £1500 more for what is essentially some nice paint and some stitching.
    Oh and a 'limited edition no x/100' written on the tank.
    And a certificate. :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Well we all know the desirability of a COA on this forum!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ha, LOL.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Not a pretty bike imho. Looks like a feckin large insect
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    The red looks very cool, but £1500 extra? Sod that, I'd live with the ugly bronze. 
    edited July 2016
    Tough crowd.

After much more haggling and some more things chucked in and some extra discount... I've gone for it.
    Collect it Wednesday.

The ride back on the KTM was a nightmare- I put the original screen back on it as I want to sell the Madstad for some cash and the wind blast was ridiculous.
    Definitely making the right decision to get rid of that bike.