Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your "top tip" please.......

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• turn up as late as you can, so hopefully everyone else will be set up and avoid having to help lift or help move speakers, drums, amps etc, (thats just the kind of person i am)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devise a system for load-in/load-out, such that there is always one band member with the vehicle(s) and one on the stage, while you all take it in turns to do the carrying. It minimises the risk of gear going walkies.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    midlifecrisis;929666" said:
    turn up as late as you can, so hopefully everyone else will be set up and avoid having to help lift or help move speakers, drums, amps etc, (thats just the kind of person i am)
    And at the end of the gig explain that you have an early start the next day (wether you have or wether anyone else has being irrelevant) so once you've been paid and collected your own gear you're off.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    If you're going to be gigging regularly, keep a £20 note in your toolkit 
    I read that as ....
    If you're going to be 'giggling' regularly.

ha ha :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    edited January 2016

If the pubs  \ clubs not empty do a line check only and then play an actual song to set drums, guitars etc. Listening to a song is a lot less intrusive to punters then banging on a snare drum for 15 mins ... 

Run out of songs and still got some time to fill - pretend you've had a special request for one you've already done in the first set.

For wedding gigs memorize the bride and grooms names or put their names on the wedge monitor

Get asked to turn it down ? tell em you don't do requests

To avoid paying venue beer prices take cans and a glass. Then pull the ringpull  on the can and place the glass over the can. Then turn the whole thing over and the pint will fill in seconds without foaming all over the show. An open back cab is the ideal personal bar

Clean your strings immediately after the gig, with care you can get 25 gigs out of one set

Never use any leads for anything that don't have neutrik chuck type cable relief, they will break

Don't daisy chain every mains extension lead from one socket, otherwise the one plugged into the socket will be carry the current for everything. 

Look after your van - if that doesn't make it to the gig none of your gear does either

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Danny1969;930083" said:

Get asked to turn it down ? tell em you don't do requests

Brilliant! Have a LOL. (Could just as easily have been a Wis.)

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Devise a system for load-in/load-out, such that there is always one band member with the vehicle(s) and one on the stage, while you all take it in turns to do the carrying. It minimises the risk of gear going walkies.
    At the risk of reposting this ~ I do have a small dog for hire, friendly and cheaper to run than an extra band member, yet to master the guitar though  :o3

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Devise a system for load-in/load-out, such that there is always one band member with the vehicle(s) and one on the stage, while you all take it in turns to do the carrying. It minimises the risk of gear going walkies.
    This, absolutely and with no exceptions. Never leave anything unattended in a car, even locked, outside a venue - all the low-lifes in town know there are instruments inside. Even venues can be dodgy if there isn't a secure area to put stuff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom