Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your "top tip" please.......

What's Hot

Comments

• MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited December 2015
    Take a decent torch or head light for setting up / tearing down in low light.
    If the venue is hot and sweaty, a small towel and wrist bands are life savers for getting sweat out of your eyes.
    Ear plugs are not only great for not going deaf standing next to cymbals But also for being able to hear your bvs better in your head to keep in tune.
    If you use lots of pedals, have a back up signal path that can go to the amp with a cheap overdrive to get you through the gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    ICBM;883355" said:
    Also, noticing that you are in Herefordshire, and that you're playing a village hall so it's not going to be a metropolis like Hereford, Leominster or even Ledbury, make sure you take your own groupies since the local ones are a bit scary.
    Hey! I'll have you know, some members of bands have done good business with the local groupies round these parts in days of yore*

*posting for a friend......
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    miserneil said:
    ICBM;883355" said:
    Also, noticing that you are in Herefordshire, and that you're playing a village hall so it's not going to be a metropolis like Hereford, Leominster or even Ledbury, make sure you take your own groupies since the local ones are a bit scary.
    Hey! I'll have you know, some members of bands have done good business with the local groupies round these parts in days of yore*

When you class it as doing business theyre hookers not groupies!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    lloyd;884958" said:
    miserneil said:

ICBM;883355" said:Also, noticing that you are in Herefordshire, and that you're playing a village hall so it's not going to be a metropolis like Hereford, Leominster or even Ledbury, make sure you take your own groupies since the local ones are a bit scary.

When you class it as doing business theyre hookers not groupies!
    Bloody pedant...*

*posting for a friend

;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Take spare pics

Turn your phone off

Take spare strings

Don't look at your fretboard

Pee 5 minutes before going on, I always, always need a pee mid way through an hour set.
  • monquixote;883270" said:
    Take a water bottle with a sport cap
    I agree about the water - but if a hat is a must, I'd go with a beret, personally.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    Bit late to the party - but I would seriously recommend attenuating ear plugs and spare strings, cables and picks :)
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 359
    -Imodium, in case you had the shits

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like you will have all angles covered with the above advice. Mine was going to be, make sure you have a wee before going on stage. It used to work for me! Good luck and enjoy it.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    top tip - don't put your finger where you wouldn't put your cock.

Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• Do not take it seriously, make a mistake laugh about it and audience will laugh with you, don't laugh about it and glare at yourself and audience will laugh AT you!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Top Tip:

After soundcheck, increasing your amp volume by 30% or so will make you stand out and will endear you to your band members and the sound engineers alike.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you play a song in D that should be in C# stare hard at the other guitarist such that they believe it's somehow their fault that it sounds total arse. Not that I've ever done that of course... :\">
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    edited December 2015
    If you play a song in D that should be in C# stare hard at the other guitarist such that they believe it's somehow their fault that it sounds total arse. Not that I've ever done that of course... :\">
    Or put your capo on at the wrong fret and then stare hard at the keyboard player so they believe it's somehow their fault that it sounds total arse. I've never done that either.

Or play a unison power chord intro with the other guitarist without realising that one of you is capo'd at the second fret and the other at the third. That genuinely wasn't me, it was her!

Capos, work of the Devil.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Top Tip #2

If you run a true stereo panning modulation and delay rig, a stern word with a raised voice and wagging finger towards the sound engineers will always result in the proper mic-ing of both amps into a true stereo configuration through the PA to ensure your tone.

1. Be cool
    2. Have spare stuff (strings, picks, cables, shirt)
    3. Drink water on stage
    4. Thank everyone (organisers, bar staff, sound engineer)
    5. Play with the band not have the band play around you
    6. Smile and looklike you're having fun (but refer to No. 1 at all times)
    7. Make sure you smell nice. Nothing worse than coming off stage and talking to people stinking
    8. Engage the audience. Sometimes cheesy but it's showmanship
    9. Tune up after every song or if you have a gap, during the song.
    10. Have a power wank before. Keeps your mind on the gig

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2015
    Top Tip #3

Wipe your nose continuously whilst walking around stage very quickly in order to convince the audience you're an A List  sessionista.

• @rossyamaha, have a LoL for the power wank.

Some time ago a friend of mine coined the term 'post-wank' to refer to music which is lazily derivative. "Guys, I've just had a wank so I can't be bothered to come up with anything new for today's session. How about we just bang out a few hackneyed old riffs and then go for a smoke?". In his opinion, the Spin Doctors epitomised this genre.

Thing is, I quite like the Spin Doctors - so I'll happily crack one off before my next gig.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    My favourite is the short nap after the soundcheck.

@Gassage's tip No.1 is too close to the bone. 
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    I managed dissuade my rhythm guitarist from using a capo by teasing him about his Spanish crutch.

Usually if we get a sound check it's only 10 minutes before show time so a nap in the afternoon works for me.

I don't like the spin doctors either.
    Don't touch that dial.