Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your "top tip" please.......

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    Take a water bottle with a sport cap
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're going to be gigging regularly, keep a £20 note in your toolkit (you do take a small toolkit, don't you?).

It's amazing how you forget it's there until an emergency, and suddenly it's like winning the lottery.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    If you're going to be gigging regularly, keep a £20 note in your toolkit (you do take a small toolkit, don't you?).

It's amazing how you forget it's there until an emergency, and suddenly it's like winning the lottery.
    This is a good idea. I have done similar except I have hidden the cash in the car. It's then more available for all sorts of occasions. I guess if you lift share or use the bands van, your plan works better. Always ensure you can afford to get home if the gig doesn't pay cash on the night.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Go to your GP, get them to prescribe you Valium, and try not to dribble on your fretboard.
  • Loads of water to drink

Warm up your fingers, back, shoulders and knees with some stretches

Snacks for after the show

Most important - bring a huge smile and show it off to your audience and make eye contact

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Also, noticing that you are in Herefordshire, and that you're playing a village hall so it's not going to be a metropolis like Hereford, Leominster or even Ledbury, make sure you take your own groupies since the local ones are a bit scary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Don't forget to take your mobile phone out of your pocket and turn it off, or you might end up serenading the audience with some rather interesting sounding noises at high volume.

Never done that, myself.  Nope.  Never.  :-\"
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    This is fantastic everyone - thank you.  It's a big help already.  Really looking forward to it, if a little nervous.

Keep 'em coming!
  • Don't nervously drink too much beer beforehand.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited December 2015
    Rock out with your cock out.
    This isn't the olympics- just get up, play as well as you can, have fun & be nice to people afterwards.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I try to have a nice little snooze after soundcheck.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Don't get pissed until the gig is over.

Don't shag the first groupie who throws herself at you. The better looking ones hang back. So I'm told.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited January 2016
    My top tip is have 14 pints of strong ale before hand.
  • My top is have 14 pints of strong ale before hand.
    Brought to you by the William Hague school of gig preparation.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    ...and remember, it's shirt first, then jacket, then guitar - never the other way round...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • dont get caught up in a list of worries

just enjoy yourself, the rest will fall into place
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • HAL9000;883636" said:
    ...and remember, it's shirt first, then jacket, then guitar - never the other way round...
    I read that as shit first, then jacket... but it still works.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_l said:

Don't get pissed until the gig is over.

i used to have a two-pint rule when i was younger. i did one gig a few years ago where i had two pints beforehand and was that bad that i swore i was going to get the sack from the band. i felt so out of place and unprofessional. mind you, i remember one gig, when i was younger, where i was driviing and had drunk about ten gallons of coke and ended up half assaulting a guy
  • Remember to breathe...and try to keep your shoulders relaxed, if you get tense your shoulders tend to hunch up, keep them loose and your body gets fooled into thinking you're fine. Good luck!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    HAL9000;883636" said:
    I read that as shit first, then jacket... but it still works.

Take bog roll to the less salubrious venues, they never have any and you always need a shit before hand, well i do.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1