Lorry sandwich

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwEIBZlqmc#at=20 only question is why did he post it up? Glad He only hurt the bike and his pride though
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I see bikes pulling stunts like this every morning on the A14 (which is full of trucks because it feeds Felixstowe port). Makes me wince every time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I see bikes pulling stunts like this every morning 
    ditto,  doesnt have to be motorways either.

Sorry responsible bikers, but I see far far more irresponsible ones than good' uns 

Fucking wasters the lot of em
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854

I know this is a Motorbike vid, but I think the same applies to a lot of regular Cyclists in general. They pull some stupid stunts and then want to blame a Motorist for their irresponsibility when they get hurt.

There was a slot about it on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday. I'm not a fan of his but sometimes I just like to have my blood pressure go through the roof.

Lib Dems want the Motorist to be automatically assumed guilty in a collision with a cyclist.

BBC CONTENT WARNING

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037pr4m

:x
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497

He does explain what happened on the comments to the video, which puts a slightly different perspective on it.

I've only watched it w/out sound, so don't know whether the explanation is consistent with the video or not ... but he's maybe a little unobservant rather than a complete numpty with a deathwish.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Could have been a lot worse, notching down 2 gears and whipping over to the hard shoulder surely would have been the better option but who knows unless you're in that situation. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    bertie said:
    I see bikes pulling stunts like this every morning 
    ditto,  doesnt have to be motorways either.

Sorry responsible bikers, but I see far far more irresponsible ones than good' uns 

Fucking wasters the lot of em
    The lot of them ?

You've already stated there are 'good 'uns', and then say that all of them are 'wasters'.

Make yer fecking mind up !

I'd sooner put my life in the hands of a biker than your average fuckwit on four wheels.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    As a former "biker" the only way to ride is to be acutely aware of what others around you are doing.  Drivers on Mobile phones changing lanes without looking was a frequent occurrence  on my commute into work.  However in this case his "I just couldn't stop" tells me that he was going to fast for the road conditions and he should consider himself lucky not to be dead.

I no longer ride due to a back problem, though the last bike i had (Honda NT650 Deauville) was very comfy to ride for hundreds of miles at a time.  Unfortunately it was quite heavy so pulling it backward out of the garage or parking spaces often led to a sprain. Bikers can be the most friendly bunch and if they see a rider stopped by the side of the road will often stop to offer assistance.    I stopped once to change my gloves and make a quick phone call and in the space of 5 mins 2 bikers had stopped to ask if i needed help. You don't see that from car drivers.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited August 2013

What a total bell-end.

Mind you, there's any number of chav boy-racers in hatchbacks with what sounds like broken exhausts that perform like idiots around the towns. The roadside floral tributes tell the story around here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Could have been a lot worse, notching down 2 gears and whipping over to the hard shoulder surely would have been the better option but who knows unless you're in that situation. 
    Absolutely. I first saw this a week or so ago and thought just the same thing. The cars he was passing were slowing at the beginning of the video, so clearly they'd clocked the traffic ahead, or at least the brake lights of the trucks. The biker was obviously just not looking far enough ahead, meaning something like this was always likely to happen to him. Combine with going for the smallest gap open to him he's very lucky it wasn't worse.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Filtering through traffic is fine and to be encouraged.

Being an idiot like that - well...I'm glad he wasn't hurt - but FFS I hope he has learnt from it.

• SpiderSpider Frets: 130
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'd sooner put my life in the hands of a biker than your average fuckwit on four wheels.
    Have a wisdom Emp, if you ride bikes the number of four wheeled fuckwits you see (any age) defies belief.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569

Filtering through traffic is fine and to be encouraged.

not on a motorway doing 70mph+ it fucking isnt
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited August 2013
    It looks like he should have had plenty of time and distance to stop, although it does depend on how long it took him to realise the lorries were stationary and how fast he was going.

It would be interesting if someone could be bothered to calculate his speed in the early part of the video and see if he's remotely telling the truth about doing 60.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    He car he overtakes has its f*cking hazards on, if that's not a big enough indication to slow down I don't know what is. Moron (and I'm a biker myself). 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I see bikes pulling stunts like this every morning on the A14 (which is full of trucks because it feeds Felixstowe port). Makes me wince every time.

You should try the bit from Huntingdon to Cambridge......I once saw a biker literally wheelie between 2 lines of stopped cars.........Sadly there wasn't a Police car around.......Mind that could be said of a lot of car drivers.....

And the motorists being blamed for collisions with cyclists? Fuck me no......Even Julian Huppert (Cambridge MP) has said he wants this........Anyone who's driven/walked/cycled through Cambridge knows how blind/dumb/plain dangerous to themselves some cyclists can be......Not looking at junctions, going through red lights, racing traffic, cycling well wide of cycle lanes......I even had one idiot not stop at a T-junction, from a side road onto a main road (I was on the main road), turned right (so went across both lanes of traffic) didn't stop, or even slow down to check for traffic.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Should've sped up and zipped straight through. Looked like it was the fact he slowed down that caused him to wobble a bit and hit the side of the lorry, causing a chain reaction of wobbly numptiness.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    ICBM said:
    It looks like he should have had plenty of time and distance to stop, although it does depend on how long it took him to realise the lorries were stationary and how fast he was going.
    IanSavage said:
    He car he overtakes has its f*cking hazards on, if that's not a big enough indication to slow down I don't know what is. Moron (and I'm a biker myself). 
    Yes - I didn't mean that was an excuse for not being able to stop. He had more than enough warning.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@Drew_fx, I've worked around, and with lorries for a long time, there's not a great deal of space between them, you could walk  between them fair enough, but you'd struggle to cycle between them without a good chance of catching one or the other.

It looks to me exactly like he was going too fast, and riding dangerously to me, and I'm not a biker.

He's trying (to my eye) to fit through a gap, which is barely wide enough for him, too fast.

You're right on the numptiness bit though :-)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22132
    edited August 2013

"I know this is a Motorbike vid, but I think the same applies to a lot of regular Cyclists in general. They pull some stupid stunts and then want to blame a Motorist for their irresponsibility when they get hurt.

Lib Dems want the Motorist to be automatically assumed guilty in a collision with a cyclist."

Context please. We're not talking criminal liability here. 

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/motorists-should-have-presumed-liability-in-cycling-accidents-say-lib-dems-38096/

I heartily agree that there are plenty of fuckwit cyclists. As someone who pulls in 200 miles a week usually on the bike, I swear far more at cyclists than drivers. However, in the case of cyclists causing accidents, you don't see drivers being crippled or mashed. Drivers who cause accidents on the other hand do get away with it a great deal. Those bad drivers and those red light jumping cyclists both need pulling up on their behaviour. 

• bertie;7996" said:
    manicguitarist said:

Filtering through traffic is fine and to be encouraged.

not on a motorway doing 70mph+ it fucking isnt
    I agree. Filter if you are doing <30 and traffic is doing 10mph < speed limit.