For all you jazzers - free Berklee course

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10747
Another Jazz improv course from the gentle vibrophonist, Gazzer Burton. These courses are great. They're free and take place every week. I've registered. Who else is in? 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi Viz

I did the Coursera course on Music Production and it was an intense but rewarding six weeks. Realistically I know that undertaking a bunch of assignments right now is impossible for me if it's anything like that course, but I'm very interested in signing up and seeing how it goes.

Do you have any idea of the format of the assignments for this jazz course?

Ta
    Stuart

Here's my trading feedback thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/61795/
  • vizviz Frets: 10747
    edited December 2015
    Hi - well I'm not clear on whether it's the one I did last year or an evolution of that one - I can't remember the precise name of last year's - but last time, over 6 weeks, every week you had to do a short questionnaire, record a submission (3 mins) and mark 5 others' submissions. Recording your submission was not difficult, I just videod mine with my iphone and uploaded them to youtube. It's not onerous but you have to keep up.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Good ol' Gary Burton. I assume it's a repeat of the course we did last time? Probably worth a go to see if I can absorb it better the second go around. I definitely didn't cover it completely the last time. 

@megii might be interested in this. And perhaps @carlos, though this may be too easy for him. 
    Exactly, I think it is because they seem to be running 2 waves, one of which has already started, and on the fb page they're talking about their first assignment being 500 Miles High. Even so I think it's worth doing it again. See you in Massachusetts!
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Branshen said:
    Good ol' Gary Burton. I assume it's a repeat of the course we did last time? Probably worth a go to see if I can absorb it better the second go around. I definitely didn't cover it completely the last time. 

@megii might be interested in this. And perhaps @carlos, though this may be too easy for him. 
    I'm sure there are some interesting insights to be had from someone of Gary Burton's status, but (and hope I don't sound conceited) I have been playing jazz (or trying to) for 35 odd years, and did a music college graduate jazz diploma back in the late 80s - so I suspect an introduction to jazz improv course is pitched a bit below my level. As I say, there would still inevitably be some insight to be had from GB, and I'm not uninterested, but given the time it would require, I'd have to say not for me - I could be wrong, but have to make a decision one way or the other. Appreciate the heads up though, and interested to hear about the course and how it goes, cheers. :)
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3476
    But... I'm not a jazzer :)
    edited December 2015
    yet
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Ha, no more objections from you when I try to sneak rocked-up versions of jazz-standards into my setlists, my lad. Last night in your absence we did Autumn Leaves, Satin Doll, All of Me, Summertime . . .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Plenty of sweep arp opportunities in all of those ones mate!
  • This is great.... If you're into jazz lol
  • Well I signed up...
    Here's my trading feedback thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/61795/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2015
    Awse gbbm
  • Thanks for the heads up viz.  Not a jazzer but it is something I'd like to have a go at so I've registered this morning.
    great! Nice to have a little collective doing it together. Today's the first day isn't it? So I'll be watching lesson one from my hotel room ....
    :D  Climbed down off my conceited high horse and decided to do it anyway - I'm sure there must be something I can get from this. Just enrolled on the free option, and nice to be in your company fellow jazz improv students. :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Excellente!
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    I've registered and will probably be completely out of my depth... we'll see!

Thanks for the suggestion in any case!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 752
    As I remember, it's a good, well presented, intro to the basics of "What scale goes with this chord?"

Some nice songs, 500 Miles high, was my fav.

I think it had 35,000 applicants the first time, was it 2012?.

Similar to his teaching on this youtube video:
    (Careful, Gary Burton makes it sound easy.)

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    Yep, fun fun fun. I'm going to do my homework tonight. Has anyone else done it?
    Think I'd better knuckle down this evening as well... :D