For all you jazzers - free Berklee course

What's Hot

Comments

• pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    I didn't manage to get started so have switched to the 11 Jan start instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10747
    edited January 2016

Probably a good decision, it's been quite tricky getting this done over the new year period. Here's my attempt at 500 miles high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEdezn12btk

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Nice work! BTW if you Google "flv to MP3" you can extract the audio from your clip easily... Although I don't see why SoundCloud is so important...
    Here's my trading feedback thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/61795/
    edited January 2016
    Ah thank you! You didn't think it was too inappropriate in the middle? :) Maybe I will do the mp3 thing for my next one, cheers for the heads up, though there's loads of restrictions on my laptop. Anyhoo, it hasn't mattered so far.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    sounds great Viz...nice playing
    Ah cheers old bean :)
  • Here's my effort for 500 Miles High. Attempted to play the melody first but my sightreading isn't up to much! Also slowed the thing to 80%... hopefully don't get marked down for that but my brain just doesn't work fast enough :)

Here's my trading feedback thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/61795/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's gorgeous! Why don't you speed it up again by 20% now you've recorded it?
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    @gingerbbm some lovely stuff in there. .sounds great
  • Thanks guys!
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 752
    Well done, good stuff, it's a good course. 500 Miles High is a superb tune, it must have been very modern harmony in 1973.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    Yes!
  • This week's effort. Again had to slow it down. Not really had time to get under the skin of this one.
    Agh i need to get going with this one. Will do mine this morning.
    edited January 2016
    @Gingerbbm yours is great, you were using all those chromatics and guidelines like he said. Well done! I didn't have time to think about applying the lesson to the exercise so just knocked out a quick noodle this morning - here:

• gingerbbmgingerbbm Frets: 33
    edited January 2016
    Good stuff @viz. Love those couple of sweeps (around 0:53)!
    Thanks old bean - I did the first one and then suddenly remembered that the same shape works on the 4 middle strings further up for melodic minor and just managed to get up there in time, and to the right fret 'n all!
    Anyone done this week's homework yet?
    edited January 2016
    Is anyone still with me? Lol. Well I found this week's homework to be the most difficult. Learned once and for all that I can't play the blues so I just ended up descending into a fast noodle-fest, which the jazzers won't appreciate one jot haha.

And Olhos de Gato was really really hard to play anything over so I had to move really slowly and tentatively so as not to land on some right corker jazz notes. Not happy with either. Oh well, all done now, it's in the lap of the markers.

• Well done Viz. I'm out of time this week. But it's been a good intro and I'm glad I did it.