HarrisCustomGuitars

What's Hot

Comments

• earwighoney;980471" said:
    Harriscustomguitars said:

Interesting, yes I understand, so you wouldn't want more that 25 on the high e and 26 on the low for example. Whats everyone's thoughts on scale differences..... Could be interesting? and nice to created a design that works for what people want.

A Harris multiscale would be high end, as all our instruments are, I will design a modern, tasteful body and then as with all our range, the customers will decide their build specs.

HCG

I think Multiscale is possibly best suited to custom guitars so players can have their individual scale differences addressed to the tunings they use and the string sets they favour. 

Btw, I had a look at your website and the designs look great.  They seem to be in the 'modern metal guitar' side of things.  Do you have any inclinations to build something outside that?  Always good to see designs outside the tradition F/G type thing. 
    Yes definitely, I will offer a choice of scale lengths. They will be fully customisable as all my range is.

Brilliant, yes the abraxis is a contemporary metal guitar, the twin is a full blown modern metal guitar, the r12 is a superstrat style, but, as our name says, we will make anything custom, so the world is your oyster. I can design and make any style of guitar you so wish. If it's not one of my range, I just have to design some new templates and liaise with the customer, but thats all part of the exclusive, Harris experience. Our customers get regular updates and pictures so that the build incorporates them from start to finish.

Regards, HCG
    Custom Guitars from Harris Custom Guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Who's coming to the Birmingham Guitar Show this year?

We're offering an exclusive 10% discount in all orders taken at the show, and we have our online builder with us, plus some of our very best guitars from 2015

HCG
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16721
    Interesting, yes I understand, so you wouldn't want more that 25 on the high e and 26 on the low for example. Whats everyone's thoughts on scale differences..... Could be interesting? and nice to created a design that works for what people want.

A Harris multiscale would be high end, as all our instruments are, I will design a modern, tasteful body and then as with all our range, the customers will decide their build specs.

HCG

I did the 25-26 on my first multiscale build.  it fanned out from the 5th fret if I remember right.  It felt very natural and was absolutely great for drop D or drop C.

I have done a few more with the fan starting from different point and definitely prefer the mid point of the fan to be between the 3rd and 7th fret.  Last one was 25-27" scale fanning out from the 12th.  It still felt great for certain things but its the first one I have done where I thought first position chords were compromised slightly, although still possible.

I still like multiscales for the clarity of tone you get on the low strings, and still don't  find them difficult to play - but they will never totally replace a standard guitar for me

• Brilliant WezV

The research I have done into it already have led to pretty much exactly what you have just clarified. Which is great.

I'll just need to decide what bridge system I'm going to use, and as it will be a stock item, it needs to be the best. Whats is the preferred bridge system of all you fan fret players?

And I'll also need to decide whether I go headless or not, depending on what feedback I get over the coming months.

Great to hear what you all like though. It helps us point our designs in the direction that will please most of you. Personally I think that's key in making this business expand, listening to the public, and giving them options. It's something you unfortunately can't get from a large sector of the market

HCG

I started with the individual ABM saddles as it seemed easiest.   But then I switched to graphtech/wilkinson trem saddles on a wooden plate.  firstly attached just with screws into the ebony, but the later version got brass inserts in the ebony that could be bolted to

that give a decent peizo option too

although I used the ABM ones again on the last one and decided to put an aluminium  plate underneath because i prefer the look

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27606
    WezV said:

Love the look of that @WezV - can I get one??

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    :D
  • edited February 2016
    Very nice Wez, some nice pieces of work there. I'd need sustainable pre made bridge, so the pre bought saddles, with either a route beneath them or a small plate as you have done, would work. Few ideas to think about anyway.

I'll see what feedback we get from the guitar show this weekend too, but from the looks of other forms of feedback we have had, a multiscale is definitely on the cards.

Whats the preference on this forum....headless or headed?

Or both!

HCG
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28378
    Headless looks weird.

I didn't mind those Floyd Rose guitars that were functionally headless but had a headstock for looks.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • So nothing like a xen, strandberg, kiesel ect...... I wouldn't have a headstock just for the sake of it, I'd have our headstock design as the option on a headed version, which functioned, then a totally new design on a headless. In keeping with our style though.

Pictures of your favourites or self builds all welcome,

HCG

• SporkySporky Frets: 28378
    Well, I'd planned this but never built it. 5-string, tuned in 5ths. Like a Schecter Celloblaster.

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/sp6-5/sp6-5 rev-c.png
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Very different, that's for sure. I'll have to post designs up for all to see soon
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17634
    tFB Trader
    Great to meet you today. 

Beautiful guitars and awesome to see someone representing Suffolk!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    tFB Trader
    Great to see you at the show this weekend guys.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Was great to meet you all too! Very welcoming, as always. The show was a great success, and we look forward, to working, and chatting to you all this year.

Kind regards

HCG
  • Hi Guys, I was on the stand with Dan at the show, just wanted to sign up to the forum, drop by and say hi, had a great time at the show. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    tFB Trader
    Hi Alex & welcome to the forum.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    edited March 2016
    I made a super strat for a chap a year ago, with two single coils. It was a sycamore/maple body, with flamed maple cap, flamed maple scalloped fretboard , and rock maple neck with carbon support. Most people would hate this, but the thing sounds rediculous. The diversity of tone that he gets from it, really does stick two fingers up to what a lot of people think.

I agree.  Made a prototype electric out of entirely Sycamore. (With a 27mm Oak spine on the body, Oil City pickups etc).

It sounds amazing and I only play this guitar now.
  • Sycamore has some lovely tonal qualities. It's only personal preference that dictates what we all choose, or what we are told works!

I've never used oak, I wouldn't consider it a great tonal wood personally, but then again, I see lots of people using poplar or tulip wood these days. All I've ever used this for is kitchen doors!

Each to their own hey, love to hear everyone's opinions.....

HCG
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Hi Guys, I was on the stand with Dan at the show, just wanted to sign up to the forum, drop by and say hi, had a great time at the show. 

how do! when I could hear your playing I loved it. Made the guitars sing!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com