HarrisCustomGuitars

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    I also avoid oak, but its mainly because of its weight and difficulty working.... Just doesn't seem worth the effort.

I did recently make a guitar for a mate out of iroko. Its a wood I swore I would never use again but he turned up all excited saying he had some mahogany for a guitar body. Not the first time I have been given free Iroko people thought was hog, but thankfully I have had enough free good stuff not to mind :)

I agreed we would give it a go but warned it may be a very bright and/or guitar. we chambered it heavily to sort the weight. it did help a bit with the brightness, and did manage to make a guitar which worked for him. Its bright, but still very usable for the technical metal he plays.

I still wouldn't recommend anyone makes a guitar from it, but I wouldn't rule it out either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28317
    I see lots of people using poplar or tulip wood these days. All I've ever used this for is kitchen doors! 
    My favourite self-build is poplar. It sounds just like a guitar! ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I see lots of people using poplar or tulip wood these days. All I've ever used this for is kitchen doors! 
    My favourite self-build is poplar. It sounds just like a guitar! ;)
    poplar, basswood, lime, tulipwood - all pretty much interchangeable

they do sound just like a guitar.   In a debate about the tone they contribute  they would all be described as "neutral" or "bland" by those who don't like them and balanced by those who do.  they are woods you will struggle to hear because they don't stand out.  It makes them a  great platform for many things, but not an exciting one to build with

there are many factors that go into the sound of the guitar, you can eliminate the influence  of the wood by choosing to focus on other areas. .   Others choose to start with the potential tone of the wood and build from there,  it also works fine.   They all sound like guitars.   some will sound better than others.   I don't mind if builders disagree with my own priorities.  As long as they have a focus they believe in you normally get a good guitar.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    WezV said:
    I also avoid oak, but its mainly because of its weight and difficulty working.... Just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Oak works really, really well for acoustic guitar backs/sides.  When done well, a bit like Mahogany with a honky midrange which works well for guitars for ragtime.

On another forum I frequent a guy who's a carpenter/French Polisher (who makes guitars as well) had a stock of some really old Douglas Fir doors for scrap which he's been cutting up and making acoustic guitar soundboards.  I've come across some Doug Fir bodies for electric guitars which have sounded superb.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28317
    I'm not knocking tonal differences between woods. The poplar works for me because it is fairly neutral - also light and easy to work with.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Oak never works well. Its coarse and fairly horrible to work with most simpler tools. That's not to say it wont sound good, but its enough to put me off using it when other woods work much nicer and are proven to sound good. Tbh its as much about the weight but that is obviously less of a factor with acoustics

There are also many varieties of oak, like mahogany. So its not going to be as simple as oak works or doesn't
  • Don't get a splinter of the iroko mate! Nasty stuff, never used it in instruments, makes good worktops, lol

Can see how it could be confused with mahogany.

I seem to get incredibly resonant bodies from European Walnut, the vibration transferr is rediculous, so many people commented on them at the show.

Big lover of quality limba too. Wonderful timber to work with too.

HCG
    Custom Guitars from Harris Custom Guitars
    I know, I hate the dust from it.  when its varnished it  looks golden brown like  many people expect mahogany to look.   it has caught me out a few times, but its unmistakeable as soon as its sawn

the plank in the middle fooled me 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes the dust is bad, I try and stay away from it in the cabinet shop. That middle plank is similar to be fair.

Can't see why it wouldnt be good to use, wouldn't be one I offer customers personally though.

I agree with oak. Although you can make whatever you want from whatever you want, so to speak, there are some that are better suited for the job. I'd consider oak as not suited to that job.

Regarding the Douglas fir comment, I can see how that was successful, after all, lime/basswood is incredibly soft, that's why it's very big in the carving/turning industry. I would possibly question it's resilience to moisture, and it's sheer strength.

Didn't Brian May make his famous guitar from oak?

HCG
    Harriscustomguitars;995132" said:
    Didn't Brian May make his famous guitar from oak?

HCG
    Bits of it were
  • edited March 2016

Just wanted to say thankyou for the superb reception we got from everyone at the guitar show. Especially to Feline and Jaden Rose for the great chats, and advise based on years of experience. And to all the guys who played the guitars. Some of the comments we received were incredible. I'll be commencing work both from the show, and outside, soon. So here's to a year of growth and guitars.

Also, a special thanks to the guys from the fretboard stand. This is definitely the best forum I've ever used, and you guys who are involved in its running, are all superb!

Build pictures on the way soon

HCG
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    And 'twas good to meet - and talk to - you guys too.

Incredible guitars, stunning materials, and some impressive work there.

Hope to see a lot more of you here Dan.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Thanks Tony, very kind

And without doubt, you will be seeing and hearing lots more in the future.

Thanks for your support

And so we begin,

Birdseye maple neck, matching fretboard, stainless jumbo frets, schaller tuners. Black Pearl markers. fitted to this nicely stained, quilted Warmoth body

R12 build on the way soon

HCG

You should put a link to your website in your signature here.

It'll save me typing it in every time 

;)
  • Link added Tony,

Is that any good?
  • Custom Guitars from Harris Custom Guitars
  • Lovely review from Alex Coombes, who was with us at the Guitar Show this year.
    edited March 2016
    Link added Tony,

Is that any good?
    No - it didn't show in your post signature.  Let me exercise my admin powers ...

[edit]
    Done - let me know if you want it to say something else
    :)
  • Hey Guys, heres a demo of the Twin 7 I did a while back that we had at the show in feb